Borex

Compatible Minifigures Discussion.

So as i saw in the forum information and help part of Eurobricks that we are allowed to continue to talk about minifigs done by clone brands as long as they are not copies of Lego. Let this be a new beginning of a long thread about minifigs that are not copied from Lego.

I think most of the earlier visitors of the bootlegsuperheroes thread are just people that buy Lego, and use knockoffs for a more complete collection of superheroes (you know all the characters never been done, and probably never will be done by Lego), or even use knockoffs for customising. They buy official lego products but have an urge to make their collection as complete as can be.

So let's avoid talking about sets and let's avoid sending links to ali-shops.

I used to watch the bootlegsuperheroesthread daily, so i miss that thread :-)

MODS, please feel free to adjust, lock or get rid of this topic. I read the thread in the information and help part and thought that it was ok to start a new topic about bootlegminifigs. If not, my bad and kill this topic.

Edited by Peppermint_M
Fine idea, not so sensible title. Fixed ;)

As a note, it may be worth finding a place where we can talk about them freely in case the mods have a change of heart or we find the current restrictions too restrictive. If noone else has any ideas there's always the /r/bootlego subreddit. It's a little inactive right now, but it'll do.

15 hours ago, Sebiron said:

Copy from the LEGO Marvel Super-heroes and Avengers Game are OK?

I think we'll assume at this point that they're OK as even through they're based on Lego designs they're unreleased and aren't a clone of an existing release.

Not the clone of an existing TLG release but stolen things and figs from IDEA, customizers and LEGO Games are OK ?

Still a shame... No ? :pir-laugh:

Most of what you mentioned isn't covered under TLG designs and you could make the argument that the game designs are from TT games and not Lego themselves; they likely just sign off on them.

I highly doubt we'd ever see a doombot or kurse bigfig.

Edited by CaptvirgilHilts

1 hour ago, Sebiron said:

Not the clone of an existing TLG release but stolen things and figs from IDEA, customizers and LEGO Games are OK ?

Can you name an IDEA figure that is OK to talk about? I would assume that any figure released from an IDEAs set would constitute an existing release and therefore be a clone and non-discussable. If it isn't released then I'm not sure where that's going. With regards to customisers I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask to see the contract between the customiser and the license holder allowing their use of the characters likeness before I worry about that. As I said in the thread regarding the site's position on bootlegs, Lego and the license holders themselves seem to be perfectly fine in people creating these characters otherwise they'd shut down the eBay shops that currently have hundreds of figures of their characters for sale. It would take one email from their legal team to eBay and those stores would be closed. As this hasn't happened we can assume, at least for that sake of this thread, that the discussion of such figures should be fine.

If your issue with the creation of custom or bootleg figures is that you've had a figure that you've created that you feel has been bootlegged then surely your creation, to make it accurate to the character and be Lego-like, would involve the use of things such as Lego style muscle definition as well as any of the uniform, facial likenesses or other graphic elements to make it recognisable. None of which you would have license to do. Permission, by inactivity of the license holder, possibly, but people can't stand firmly in the grey area of IP infringement and simply say other people are worse because they're selling. That's not up to them. 

I'm assuming the cloning of one of your designs is the reason you have changed your stance on bootleg figures? I think if you're going to be this firm on how dislikable they are I'd recommend carefully removing any bootleg parts from your figure collections otherwise it could come across as contradictory.

Edited by Robianco

I was a big fan of the old forum too.   I hope we can keep this thread legit, its going to be tough avoiding ali links.   I hope I represent most of the folks from the other thread in my opinion that direct copies of available Lego sets is pretty lame and that the strength of these bootleg companies is in their ability to produce minifigs that Lego did not.   I look forward to folks keeping us posted on new releases from the East

Does anyone else budget themselves to a weekly amount, and if so are you finding it hard to keep up? I know I am, lol. Just ordered the superman and spiderman set. Got assassins creed and xmen on route, and game of thrones second set. Both German sets with all the special parts. Doll are doing some fantastic sets at the moment.

The problem I found with the Doll stuff was that the print was fine but some of the moulding wasn't great. At least for their older set with the tan camo. I only really pick up things which are close to Lego in their quality and I don't collect Marvel so that rules quite a lot of stuff out.

The GOT stuff doesn't look too bad to be honest but It's not something I'd probably ever look at or put on display once it arrived. Same with Assassin's Creed as I've never played it. I'm just waiting on a couple of Batman figures, Saturn Girl and a couple of others. My orders tend to be around the £6 rather than the £46 mark.

1 hour ago, Robianco said:

The problem I found with the Doll stuff was that the print was fine but some of the moulding wasn't great. At least for their older set with the tan camo. I only really pick up things which are close to Lego in their quality and I don't collect Marvel so that rules quite a lot of stuff out.

The GOT stuff doesn't look too bad to be honest but It's not something I'd probably ever look at or put on display once it arrived. Same with Assassin's Creed as I've never played it. I'm just waiting on a couple of Batman figures, Saturn Girl and a couple of others. My orders tend to be around the £6 rather than the £46 mark.

I think you might be surprised by some of their newer offerings :) pieces including rigging, land mine detector, land mine, hand spade, flame thrower, dog lead, horse rains, just a nice variety of high quality little pieces that can either be used with the figures or added to other characters. The latest motorbikes look pretty cool! I was going to add a picture, but max file size is 10kb :S

Yeh Marvel has been quite dominant as of late. Do you collect star wars? The assassin's creed I bought mainly for the arm blades, as I think a bit of clever snipping either to a flat edge, or leave a bit of a peg... could allow some nice custom arm attachements for different figures.

And I try to stay at £10 maximum a week, but I collect Marvel, so it's tipped me over and have had to leave a bunch in my cart lol.

Are we back in action ? If so, Group hug everyone!.

Can't believe how bummed out I got when the old thread was closed...Even my 7 year old son was annoyed as we normally check it everyday.

If a new set of 8 figures comes out and 2 are existing Lego figures do we have to censor the 2 copies when posting pictures?

Anyone seen the new DLP Spider-Man set? If so can anyone name all of them? No idea what some of them are :tongue:

Still no post count though.

So, if you guys want to move aay from the forums for "safety" I have formed a Facebook group for the discussion of custom lego and clone parts.

could also use a coup,e of moderators on it.  :)

22 minutes ago, MarvelZombie said:

Are we back in action ? If so, Group hug everyone!.

Can't believe how bummed out I got when the old thread was closed...Even my 7 year old son was annoyed as we normally check it everyday.

If a new set of 8 figures comes out and 2 are existing Lego figures do we have to censor the 2 copies when posting pictures?

Hahah I was the same, and the same about checking it everyday.

I'd say yes, as the connection with definitive straight copies is what they seem to be wanting to distance themselves from. I don't think we can even post images of a viewable size on this thread anyway (which might be a measure in place) 0.01MB came out the size of a postage stamp when I tried to post an image of a ww2 set earlier.

12 minutes ago, jeduh said:

Anyone seen the new DLP Spider-Man set? If so can anyone name all of them? No idea what some of them are :tongue:

I don't think it is out yet, see if I can remember off the top of my head...

Spiderman armour MK 3
Cyborg Spiderman
Bruce Banner (the grey suit with red eyes)

Devil spider
Spiderman India

Airon Aikman (another spider armour alternate dimension)

Then the white one was a wierd 2099 one
Can't remember the black suit

Edited by MNW

22 hours ago, Borex said:

So as i saw in the forum information and help part of Eurobricks that we are allowed to continue to talk about minifigs done by clone brands as long as they are not copies of Lego. Let this be a new beginning of a long thread about minifigs that are not copied from Lego.

So let's avoid talking about sets and let's avoid sending links to ali-shops.

I'm glad the discussion is at least partially back. If we can't post links can we still list a product number or tell people what to search for?

8 hours ago, mooproxy said:

As a note, it may be worth finding a place where we can talk about them freely in case the mods have a change of heart or we find the current restrictions too restrictive. If noone else has any ideas there's always the /r/bootlego subreddit. It's a little inactive right now, but it'll do.

This would be a good idea, and if necessary we can make that subreddit as active as we want it to be.  There is a bootleg thread going at the bloks.hyperboard site, but looking through a few pages it seems to be about 98% Lepin based.  Although since it's a Mega Bloks site the mods there are probably less likely to care enough to shut it down.

6 hours ago, Sebiron said:

4 hours ago, Robianco said:

Can you name an IDEA figure that is OK to talk about? I would assume that any figure released from an IDEAs set would constitute an existing release and therefore be a clone and non-discussable...

I'm assuming Sebiron is referring to the Ideas projects that don't make it, but end up getting cloned anyways.  The Decool Pokémon Center is actually one of them.

1 minute ago, MarvelZombie said:

...If a new set of 8 figures comes out and 2 are existing Lego figures do we have to censor the 2 copies when posting pictures?

I would think that should be OK.  If SY releases another clone set with a new big fig, I would just crop out the rest of the set and post the big fig.

Just for the record is Lepin pretty much blanket banned, or can we talk about stuff they take from MOC builders?

50 minutes ago, Collector said:

I'm assuming Sebiron is referring to the Ideas projects that don't make it, but end up getting cloned anyways.  The Decool Pokémon Center is actually one of them.

I would think that should be OK.  If SY releases another clone set with a new big fig, I would just crop out the rest of the set and post the big fig.

Just for the record is Lepin pretty much blanket banned, or can we talk about stuff they take from MOC builders?

Well Lego haven't made a Pokemon set and I'm sure if we went through IDEAs for every possible license etc then nobody would be allowed to talk about anything. Thankfully Pokemon isn't close to something I'd personally want to discuss but for those that have an interest I think it still sits within the new site guidelines.

With regards to posting images I'd assume that you can still embed images from Flickr up to 1024 pixels wide etc as is the norm on the rest of the site... and post count isn't included for any thread in the Community part of the site so there's no change there.

I wouldn't even mention Lepin in this or any thread especially to discuss any of their sets. They're just a straight up 'No'.

I think if anyone finds anything of interest rather than post links... which I think should be something people are still mindful of then maybe what the set name is etc (DLP9032 for example) and people can then search in the usual places for that set. I'm sure if people wanted to grab an image and then crop it and post it via Flickr etc then that would be fine.

I'm personally glad that the discussion will move away from cloned figures and copies of existing stuff and we can concentrate on things that are entirely new.

Glad we have this thread again. 

I seen a new red armed droid this morning.  Not sure if its been released by tlg or not......

For the people that bought Mysterio. With a bit of white paint (on the inside of the helmet) he looks much better imho.

15rio2r.jpg

I think we still can link pictures from Ali, as long as it is just only the pic and not a link? And otherwise we could say like kf number this, or pogo number that etc.. and we could search for them ourselfs?

38 minutes ago, Mattyj82 said:

Glad we have this thread again. 

I seen a new red armed droid this morning.  Not sure if its been released by tlg or not......

C-3PO with a dark red arm was available from polybag wich was probably given for may the 4th 2015. Veeeery few things were innovation within SW theme, Darth Nihilus is the only I can remember.
It is very difficult to find something that can be attractive AND that had not been done before : I'd so like to see a Rebels's Jedi Temple Guard but this is no big market target.

10 minutes ago, Captain Britain said:

I rarely posted on the last thread but always read it everyday when I got a spare 5 minutes downtime! Glad this has been started up :).

Same for me.

The thing about the previous thread was that when information about new figures was posted there was almost always someone to point out where the figure may have come from design-wise. Buying bootlegs actually made me move more into buying custom figures on genuine Lego parts. Expensive decision.

Darth Nihilus is a clone of Christo's custom figure by the look of it but it's also been done previously by the likes of Penzore. The body looks very close to Palpatine's but I think there are various other genuine torsos that can be used including the Nazgul. As long as they give a decent head print then that's a potentially very good figure.