brobert

[MOC] WIP - Endor diorama for 75094 Tydirium

I recently started living out my suppressed LEGO-dreams, and after buying a couple of stock sets, I've decided to build a diorama around my existing Shuttle Tydirium set, so it doesn't just sit awkwardly on my display shell.

This is what I came up after an evening of figuring out how to effectively use Mecabricks - and eventually losing everything after I accidentally closed the window...

Obviously, the big brown space is where the shuttle goes, but I didn't have the energy to put in a good placeholder at least.. and the minifigs are also placeholders ofc.

I'm still on the fence about the tree design, this is just what I came up at the moment.

I'd welcome any feedback, ideas about how to best go about this, but this is my first time trying my hand at this, so please be gentleĀ :blush:

download.jpg

I think the tree needs a few more branches, and the ground needs a bit more undergrowth for hiding behind, but it looks like a great way to display what is an excellent set.

11 minutes ago, Flandy said:

I think the tree needs a few more branches, and the ground needs a bit more undergrowth for hiding behind, but it looks like a great way to display what is an excellent set.

Yes the tree is far from finished this is just where I passed out last night, and I have plenty more space upwards.

Yeah, tree needs to be worked on and shuttle could use a platform to sit on.

My try at something similar ended like this:

Ā 

Ā 

06.jpg

Ā 

16 minutes ago, Cwetqo said:

Yeah, tree needs to be worked on and shuttle could use a platform to sit on.

My try at something similar ended like this:

Ā 

Ā 

06.jpg

Ā 

Ok, yeah that's a different level :) I will have to work in a much more confined space, so it definitely won't come close to this. About the landing pad, I always imagined that the rebels would land somewhere hidden in the forest, since this is a stolen shuttle, and the imperials would spot them immediately otherwise.

10 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Good work so far! I suggest you add some more plates so you can make a denser forest. Keep us posted! :sweet:

Thanks, the base size is unfortunately set, since the space I'm working on is confined to the dimensions of the display cabinet.Ā 

So I will have to find the balance where the forest is dense without being overcrowded, and I kind of like the clearing where the shuttle would land.Ā 

I'm going to fiddle around a bit more in Mecabricks, then I'm going to place an order for the parts needed and finalize it IRL.

Alright so this is the latest version, I squeezed in another tree, but now I really have to think about the sizes of the shuttle. I don't think more trees fit without being too packed, maybe one more in the foreground on the left?

I've also beefed up the undergrowth a bit. Now I'll have to check how much this all would cost, and place my order. So far I'm happy with it, we'll see how it looks like when built...

endor.jpg

Tha looks great! I do think that Shuttle may be too big to fit.

16 minutes ago, Cwetqo said:

Tha looks great! I do think that Shuttle may be too big to fit.

I'm having doubts myself now, but I think if I reorganize the minifigs it should fit. It takes up about half the space in the display cabinet, so I think it is doable. I'll order the parts in a couple of days, and we'll see..Ā 

and eventually losing everything after I accidentally closed the window...

You have an autosave function in Mecabricks to avoid that. The first time you re-open the workshop after a crash or an accidental closing, just choose "Recover autosave" in the file menu ;-)

1 hour ago, Scrubs said:

You have an autosave function in Mecabricks to avoid that. The first time you re-open the workshop after a crash or an accidental closing, just choose "Recover autosave" in the file menu ;-)

Yeah, i discovered that a little later...when it was too late. :) Anyway, my design is mostly finished now, I just had a bad experience with the Lego online shop when trying to order the pieces, so the project is now parked until I figure out what's the best way of putting it together for a normal price...

So, I finalized the diorama (sort of), the trees might be a little taller and more greens are coming, butĀ this is pretty much how it will look like on the shelf.

Ā @CwetqoĀ as you can see the shuttle fits, I may have to fiddle with the branches a little but I think it will look good.

Mecabricks link.

Ā 

Ā 

R5TRiQF0L7uLBhW6b2yXgjrC9SSOd-Yk2Hd6EUPi

Ā 

It's been great watching this develop from the early design. Have to say the shuttle sits very nicely in that diorama, greatĀ job.Ā 

Why not use bricklink to get the required pieces? If anything it might be cheaper and faster than bricks n pieces as you will be buying a limited number of pieces in quantity.

My experience with Lego for buying parts is always bad. It hasĀ very slow delivery,Ā I'm always missing some pieces and the price displayed on the web can sometimes be very wrong.

57 minutes ago, That Orange Thing said:

It's been great watching this develop from the early design. Have to say the shuttle sits very nicely in that diorama, greatĀ job.Ā 

Why not use bricklink to get the required pieces? If anything it might be cheaper and faster than bricks n pieces as you will be buying a limited number of pieces in quantity.

My experience with Lego for buying parts is always bad. It hasĀ very slow delivery,Ā I'm always missing some pieces and the price displayed on the web can sometimes be very wrong.

Well, I figured I'd try it, I'm a bit afraid to get into bricklinking, big companies are easier to hold accountable then random people around the world. But the other fear is if I try it once, and I have a good experience, it will be a slippery slope...just when I discovered ebay and ordered some random shit every 2-3 days just because it's cheap :D

I'll have a go with pick a brick for now, for some parts I'm going to require discontinued plant parts e.g anyway, so maybe then. Or Lego makes it easy for me and I'll never want to order from them again.

Really the only positive experience I have with S@H is the customer support guys, but once you're in contact with them you're pissed off anyway...

I wanted to order these parts months ago, and then the webshop wasn't working, so I called them and they said I should order on the phone. Then I had to send them the part list in email...and then in the reply they stated that well according to them these will cost 20 bucks more than what I saw in the webshop. I wrote them an email where I basically told them to go f....themselves, this is not realistic, then a day later came the reply that they're so sorry of course they will ship it for the same price as seen online. But at the time I was really pissed at them so I just told them to cancel the order. Then they even called me a couple of times, but I didn't answer...

I've spent too much time trying to make it work with them, but at the end with the Yellow submarine set I gave in because it was only available on S@H until just now. That was at least a months after all this, and I still couldn't order online, so I had to do it on the phone again. This time it worked out but it took forever.

So yeah, I might be an idiot for trying this with them, but I'm an optimist I guess :D

I think I'll order next week, the A-wing is in backorder anyway what I also want, I'll definitely keep you guys posted.

I see your point about bricklink, to the new buyer it can seem a little complicated and confusing. Just like eBay it pays to do your research about a seller but I have found allĀ to be reliable and and offerĀ a great service. I suspect most are fans of Lego too so want to offer an experience they would want to receive. Plus PayPal offers Ā a certain amount of security.

A little tip when buying brick n pieces parts, if you also order something off the main website youĀ don't have to pay for the delivery charge on the brick n pieces order. So either add something really cheap or combine orders so you hit the free delivery amount.

1 hour ago, That Orange Thing said:

I see your point about bricklink, to the new buyer it can seem a little complicated and confusing. Just like eBay it pays to do your research about a seller but I have found allĀ to be reliable and and offerĀ a great service. I suspect most are fans of Lego too so want to offer an experience they would want to receive. Plus PayPal offers Ā a certain amount of security.

A little tip when buying brick n pieces parts, if you also order something off the main website youĀ don't have to pay for the delivery charge on the brick n pieces order. So either add something really cheap or combine orders so you hit the free delivery amount.

Yeah that's what I did, like I mentioned I wanted to buy the A-wing anyway, so that's coming with it, but it's not everything for the diorama, if I ordered everything to this, probably with that alone I would be above the free shipping limit...

So, the A-wing is back in stock, so I ordered some parts too, this will only be the base and the ground level. I've put my order in, and in 2 minutes got a mail that the 16x16 plates in the middle are not available at the moment...

I've called them, and got the same plates in a different color in 5 minutes. Customer service FTW! Now I just have to see how long it takes this way...

Alright, finally my parts arrived and I could commence construction :)

This is as far as I've gotten so far, the trees are still missing and I'll order some more green parts, but it's coming together and I'm quite pleased so far, but unfortunately the corners already started to curl up on 2 sides :/

So if anyone has any ideas how to remedy that, I'd be more than thankful..

G_fJSV6-4TVBNXNjc-17oqB6wxV1xgdfbKAPtpEt

Hello,Ā brobert.

Looking fantastic so far, Lego models way better with dioramas, good luck with the rest of your build too!

With regards to the corners curling up, unfortunately I haven't a clue, hopefully you sort this out though!

Kind regards, Ellis.

12 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Hello,Ā brobert.

Looking fantastic so far, Lego models way better with dioramas, good luck with the rest of your build too!

With regards to the corners curling up, unfortunately I haven't a clue, hopefully you sort this out though!

Kind regards, Ellis.

Thanks Ellis, yes, it already looks better than just plain on the glass shelf, I have to get creative with my space since I don't have too much to fit my legos already :)

I don't know when I'm going to finish it, probably only when I have another set that I want to buy but looking at the leaked 2017 sets so far, I won't have much to get until autumn...

My latest batch just arrived, I ordered a few hundred pieces and even got triple VIP points for it, so construction can resume, I should be finished in a few hours :)4XDXBezSDf34DJUDaEQ64WV8LjwsXuJIyAD88TpT