Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

[Cor-CH4A] Undercover for the Final Piece

The next part in my collab with Ayrlego and my category 4A entry.

Prior builds:

In the Captains Cabin (Bregir)

Pieces Of A Puzzle (Ayrlego)

Arriving at Mooreton Bay (Bregir)

Continuation:

TBD

What Major Allcock had to report made Cooke regret the orders he had given Ferguson. The Athena could have evened the scores somewhat, but she would be halfway to Cocovia by now. The curse of hindsight.

Cooke pushed aside these fruitless thoughts and considered recent events.

Just earlier this day he had stepped aboard the old Ironsides, only to be greeted by a widely smiling version of his old friend Ferguson. "I have been given the honour of being the first to congratulate you on your promotion, CAPTAIN Cooke," he had said, presenting Cooke with a set of glorious golden epaulettes and the news of his promotion. "Post-captain" - he had yet to fully grasp his own bliss. And while the Ironsides was not the frigate he had dreamt of, nor exactly a flyer, she was still a powerful tool if only used right... And he found himself endearing to her already.

His orders reaffirmed his position as commander of her Royal Majesty's armed forces on and around Cocovia, and in Ferguson he had been given a competent officer to assist him in this task. Which is why only hours ago, it had seemed so natural to dispatch him with the Athena to Cocovia with the newest orders and directives. Cooke had to admit other duties had forced him to neglect the colony recently, but Ferguson would surely make up for this.

It was in the capacity of commander that he was now talking to Major Dirk Allcock, the ranking Corlander military officer on Alicentia and temporary military governor of the colony, and a friend and colleague of Montoya's. Being responsible for the colony, Allcock had been concerned by the build-up of military forces in the neighbouring Garvian colony Leopoldis, which had led him to investigate recent rumours of a large warship being stationed there.

29435793252_f7be2689b7_c.jpg

"Let me see if I understand you correctly, Major. A Garvian frigate sailing under a letter of marque has arrived in Leopoldis, rumoured to after the largest ever prize of the New World?"

"Correct," Allcock interjected.

"And you believe the prize is an Eslandian treasure fleet?"

"So everything suggests, sir."

"You have done good work, Major, very good work. One might take you for a man of intelligence one day. Intelligence work, I mean." Cooke said, forcing a smile.

"Thank you, sir! All in the line of duty." Allcock said, bowing his head politely.

"Diplomacy be damned... Even though we know all this, there is nothing I can do without risking diplomatic ramifications... We need proof," exclaimed Cooke after a short pause.

"Might I suggest getting someone on board the privateer to investigate? We could arrange for certain crewmembers to... fall ill, opening up for replacements..."

"A sound suggestion that might give us conclusive evidence," Cooke responded before letting out a sigh. "But it is a dangerous mission... And we would have to ensure our men get picked..."

"One of my advisors... Russel should be able to arrange for me and him to fill those openings. He is somewhat of a rogue, but rather well-connected in the relevant... eh... circles..."

"Are you willing to take that risk?" Cooke asked, and Allcock nodding in the affirmative.

"Very well. I shall row you out myself to see you off. And you must get off that vessel the moment you have the necessary proof - take no chances! When you return, the Ironsides may have to re-earn her nickname..."

29465004191_c55710cce7_c.jpg

And so, late next evening, a new purser and his mates were being taken to the "Black Oak" in the port of Leopoldis after the original crewmembers had suffered from alcohol induced comas...

"Godspeed, Major Allcock, Godspeed..."

"Thank you, Commander Cooke. I shall return as soon as I have the evidence..."

-----------------------------------------

Hope you like the story and builds - C&C is, as ever, more than welcome. Stay posted for more.

Extra photos in the spoiler.

Overview photo:

29255312230_49561b58a5_c.jpg

Non-dimmed second scene:

29511040526_f82c9a5efd_c.jpg

I like the nighttime scene (well, I like all of it, but that's my favorite part). The two of you have done a fine job on these collaborative challenge entries! I've enjoyed the continuing story. Well done!

Great way to develop that storyline with your collab. I really like that idea and execution as a whole.

Both those final scenes are well done, and the night effect comes over nicely, though I think a small lantern on the ship could have incresed the effect further.

Nice birds. I like how you made them from different pieces. Rockwork is always hard and takes a lot of work and pieces to look realistic. Perhaps a few leafs or something on the green stems would have spiced it up, or a few different slopes.

Neat build, Bregir, I, too, particularly like the night ship scene! Your cutaway of the ship is excellent, the tumblehome and decks are very well done, and I'm glad to see that you even went the length of rigging it as well! :thumbup:pirate_wink.gif

The other scene, however, I think could use a little bit of work - just now the white, black, and grey studs just look a bit too odd (I suppose they are meant to be shells?), and I would say that a bit of some varied terrain elevation would help a lot (check out any of Puvel's beaches to see a great example of what I mean!) - but I do like Montoya's pose down there with his hat, cloak, and rapier on the sand! pir_laugh2.gif

Generally speaking, I use a ton of slopes when doing rock-work, and here yours could certainly be improved by at very least a few dark gray cheese slopes, and I would probably keep the rocks mostly or entirely dark gray (in this case, I mean - sometimes dark and light grey can work very well together!) My last critique would be that in the first picture I was incredibly confused about the house, and it wasn't until I saw the roof in the second picture of it that I got that they were on the outside ( default_laugh2.gif ), so I might add a torch in a bracket, or an open door, or something else to indicate that more clearly at the beginning.

Really good entry overall though! - both the story and the other half of the build were superb, and I'm looking forward to the next part of your (plural, default_laugh_new.gif) story-line!

Nice entry !

I like the night scene but I am not sure for the first picture, it seems a bit dark to me.

Your way to build the beach is a good approach, nice idea.

All in all its a good entry, good job !

Great job Bregir, love the textures on the beach and Montoya is true to character once again! Like I said elsewhere, I think the lighting on the night scene worked out quite well, great atmosphere!

...I'm looking forward to the next part of your (plural, default_laugh_new.gif) story-line!

Hmmm..... actually you may not like the next part....!!!! pirate_laugh2.gif

Wow, that Lego magnifying glass really has magnifying capabilities... the more you know.

Now, Bregir, cool Cat. A entry and continuation of your and Ayrlego's collab default_wubnew.gifthumbup.gif The idea of having a day and a night part in one creation - splendid! It really works well, IMO. Love the ship - any chance to see a frontal shot of the Black Oak? Will you build her up as a whole ship? And who will win - bird or crab? So many questions - I hope some will be answered default_blink.gif

Nitpicking... the only thing I don't like is your wallpaper default_laugh2.gif

And having Montoya sciencing around at the beach just, ähh... strengthens my believe (as an Oleander I just couldn't say proves my point default_laugh2.gif): You reds are such nerds default_tong.gif

Now get some plundering done!

Thanks all for the comments - glad you liked our little story! :pir-blush:

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 9:44 PM, Capt Wolf said:

The two of you have done a fine job on these collaborative challenge entries! I've enjoyed the continuing story.

Thank you - I too really enjoy the storylines of BoBS and I am definitely hoping to see more. I think it helps bring BoBS together as a community, and brings builders closer together. Generally, I am always up for collaborative stories (see for instance my supporting role in Elostirion's great palace.) if I can find the time and it fits the storylines of my characters. :pir-grin:

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 10:02 AM, Elostirion said:

though I think a small lantern on the ship could have incresed the effect further.

Great idea - your build with the lighthouse and cavern showcased great use of the lightbricks, and I will definitely keep that in mind for further night-scenes!

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:41 AM, Sir Stig said:

Rockwork is always hard and takes a lot of work and pieces to look realistic

I agree - and returning to the build now, I see how I could have put a lot more effort and bricks into this part... I tend to see it as "just" a base for the scene to sit on.

Hmm, when the skill-tree-system is put up, I should probably work on my landscaping! :pir-sweet:

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 7:05 PM, Garmadon said:

Your cutaway of the ship is excellent, the tumblehome and decks are very well done, and I'm glad to see that you even went the length of rigging it as well! :thumbup:pirate_wink.gif

Well, all credits for the ship goes to Ayrlego, as I was simply building a cut out of his Black Oak with a few personal touches! It was really fun to build it after an existing model, and allowed me to put some work into the interior, something which I find often to be complex when tumblehome and rigging is applied... :pir-tongue:

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 7:05 PM, Garmadon said:

I was incredibly confused about the house, and it wasn't until I saw the roof in the second picture of it that I got that they were on the outside

Hah - I see how that could be confusing, but for some reason, it never crossed my mind when I built it. And there is actually a cannon behind Cooke, and the cobblestone should suggest it being outside, but I see your point! :pir-grin:

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 0:20 AM, Kolonialbeamter said:

Now, Bregir, cool Cat. A entry and continuation of your and Ayrlego's collab default_wubnew.gifthumbup.gif The idea of having a day and a night part in one creation - splendid! It really works well, IMO.

Thanks, KB - the idea of the two scenes was the basic assumption for this moc, and I like to think that I inspired Ayrlego to include several scenes in his 4A entry too! :pir_tong2:

Love the ship - any chance to see a frontal shot of the Black Oak? Will you build her up as a whole ship?

Well, as you have probably seen, it is modelled after Ayrlego's Black Oak, so no, I probably wont - He already did! :pir-laugh:

And who will win - bird or crab?

Oh, the battle of the critters! Welcome to the critterdrome!

Nitpicking... the only thing I don't like is your wallpaper default_laugh2.gif

I agree - one day I will have to get myself a proper photo-setup!

You reds are such nerds default_tong.gif

And proudly so! :cry_happy: