Bob De Quatre

Challenge 5 - Space Olympic Games

28623152861_9f36d5e065_c.jpg

Challenge 5: The Space Olympic Games

The corporations have been in Andromeda for over a year, and relations between them are strained. The intense competition for resources has led to outbreaks of violence which have shocked the people of the Milky Way. Public pressure has forced the leadership of the corporations to consider how to build good relations. Finally, they agree to revive an ancient peace ceremony from Earth. And so the First Andromeda Olympic Games begins!

Results for each round in each category will be added to this spreadsheet as they come in.

Category A – Mech Wrestling

Deadline:
Your entry to this category must be posted by August 14th. As long as it is August 14th somewhere in the world you can still enter.

Rules:
Make an unmanned combat mech. It should have two arms and two legs. No weapons are allowed, and your mech must fit inside a 20x20 stud area when laid down in cruciform position, see the image in the spoiler. You should post a similar image to prove that your mech fits the size restriction.

28138974841_28286a60d9_n.jpg

Judging:
Entries will be judged between 1 and 7.

Competition:
All entries will be randomly placed in a bracket tournament. The score of a participant will have an impact on its life points, attack and defense. The randomness of the fight still gives chances to win if you are paired with a stronger (higher score) opponent.

Category B – Boat Race

Deadline:
Your entry to this category must be posted by August 21st. As long as it is August 21st somewhere in the world you can still enter.

Rules:
Make a racing boat. It should fit inside a 10x20 stud area and have room for at least one minifigure, see the image in the spoiler. You should post a similar image to prove that your boat fits the size restriction.

Judging:

Racing:
All participants will be randomly placed in 4 man races. Before the start of the race, random rolls will decide in which order the boats will move. Then each participant will randomly move toward the finishing line. The first two boats to reach the line will advance in the competition. Your initial score will give your more chance to move first and also to move further each turn.

Category C – Galactic Asteroid Rally Circuit (GARC)

Deadline:
Your entry to this category must be posted by August 28th. As long as it is August 28th somewhere in the world you can still enter.

Rules:
Make a microscale Galactic Asteroid Rally Circuit (GARC) racer. See here for general guidelines, but they won't be strictly enforced. See examples here. Your GARC must fit in a 12x12 studs area (not counting the trail(s)) and you should post a picture to prove your GARC fit the size restriction.

Judging:

Racing:
All participants will be randomly placed in 4 man races. Before the start of the race, random rolls will decide in which order the GARC will move. Then each participant will randomly move toward the finishing line. The first two GARC to reach the line will advance in the competition. Your initial score will give your more chance to move first and also to move further each turn.

Category D – Land Race

Deadline:
Your entry to this category must be posted by September 4th. As long as it is September 4th somewhere in the world you can still enter.

Rules:
Make a land vehicle racer. It could have wheels or be a speeder. It should fit inside a 10x20 stud area and have room for at least one minifigure, see the image in the spoiler. You should post a similar image to prove that your racer fits the size restriction.

Judging:

Racing:
All participants will be randomly placed in 4 man races. Before the start of the race, random rolls will decide in which order the vehicles will move. Then each participant will randomly move toward the finishing line. The first two vehicles to reach the line will advance in the competition. Your initial score will give your more chance to move first and also to move further each turn.

Category E – Track and Field

Deadline:
Your entry to this category must be posted by September 11th. As long as it is September 11th somewhere in the world you can still enter.

Rules:
Show your character participating in any Olympic sport that does not require a vehicle (any sport from the 2016 games that does not require a vehicle will be accepted). There are no size restrictions.

Judging:
Entries will be judged between 1 and 10.

Rewards for all categories:

Players will receive credits according to their score in each category.

The winning player of each category's competition will receive 50 credits and the corporation of the winner receives an additional 10 gold.
The second place player of each category's competition will receive 20 credits and the corporation of the player receives an additional 10 mithril.
The third place player each of category's competition will receive 10 credits and the corporation of the player receives an additional 10 copper.

Each winners will receive a medal (gold, mithril and copper) to reward its victory.

Rules for all categories:

• All rules in the General Rules thread apply unless stated otherwise.
  • All entries should be minifig scale.
  • For categories A-D you may build a display base for your vehicle if you wish. However, only the vehicle itself will be scored.
  • The categories have separate deadlines. Please check the deadline for each category.
  • Entries posted after the deadline will be disqualified from the challenge and will not be scored.
  • Entries will be judged according to the General Rules.
  • This challenge is open to all players of Andromeda's Gates, even if they joined EB or signed up for the game after the challenge has begun; the Andromeda's Gates staff, EB admins and moderators are not eligible to win prizes but may earn credits.
  • All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to being entered in the challenge. You may be asked by a staff member to change your entry if it is too similar to an earlier creation.
  • All entries must be built from real LEGO or with Lego Digital Designer. No clone brands, no third-party custom parts.
  • All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Andromeda's Gates subforum, the title prefixed by, "[Challenge 5][Cat X]". (For example, "[Challenge 5][Cat A] Mech name".)
  • Post pictures no larger than 1000x720, as specified in the EB Member Guidelines.
  • For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited.
  • All entries are considered WIPs (Works In Progress) until the deadline passes. Until the deadline has passed, you are allowed to change and improve your MOC.

Domination and resources:
The builds do not have locations, so will not award domination points or resources. Equipment, job and tech bonuses will not apply.

Overall winner
The corporation that gained the most gold medals wins the challenge and will receive an additional: 500 awesomnium.png Awesomnium, 500 water.png Water, 500 biomass.png Biomass, 50 gold.png Gold, 50 copper.png Copper and 50 mithril.png Mithril. In the case that two corporations accumulate the same amount of gold medals, whichever of the two corporations accumulated the most mithril medals wins the challenge. In the case that two corporations accumulate the same amount of gold and mithril medals, whichever of the two corporations accumulated the most copper medals wins the challenge. If even that doesn’t work, the judges will get drunk and fight to the death to determine the winner.

In Category E, can multiple builds for different events be submitted, as long as they constitute one entry? Or do additional events need to be weekly builds and/or freebuilds?

Awesome challenge! I have been away awhile and come back to find this, very cool.

I have a couple Cat E questions:

1) Do equestrian events count as needing "vehicles"?

2) Are we allowed some sci-fi poetic license in representing the chosen Olympic sport? i.e. Water Polo becomes Zero-G Polo? (I suppose this question could also apply to the other categories.)

Thanks!

Edited by rodiziorobs

This can be done in addition to regular weekly builds or no?

Do the GARC racers have to be mini-fig scale? The GARC page linked says a cheese slope is the windshield size, but the rules say all entries must be minifig size.

This can be done in addition to regular weekly builds or no?

Yes, challeng builds are made parallel to the weekly builds. You can do both.

Do the GARC racers have to be mini-fig scale? The GARC page linked says a cheese slope is the windshield size, but the rules say all entries must be minifig size.

It's micro GARC so that one doesn't need to be minifig size.

In Category E, can multiple builds for different events be submitted, as long as they constitute one entry? Or do additional events need to be weekly builds and/or freebuilds?

I'd say yes, multiple events are fine as long as it's all in one post.

Awesome challenge! I have been away awhile and come back to find this, very cool.

I have a couple Cat E questions:

1) Do equestrian events count as needing "vehicles"?

2) Are we allowed some sci-fi poetic license in representing the chosen Olympic sport? i.e. Water Polo becomes Zero-G Polo? (I suppose this question could also apply to the other categories.)

Thanks!

1) Let's say no, as long as the mounts aren't robo horses or the like. So Cat E can have equestrian events as long as the mounts aren't vehicles.

2) Of course! That's encouraged!

Just a question about Mech... no weapon allowed is it for portable weapons like rifle, bazooka, absolutely killing blaster ? are claws or drill or auger which can be part of the hands included ?

Edited by Professor Thaum

Wow. I build my entire entry for the first one and only JUST NOW read the "Unmanned" part. Ah well. Now I have a cool mech on reserve for a later week. :laugh::cry_sad:

That also explains the 20-20 size limit. That was a real pain to meet with Dr. Long on board! :laugh:

Question: any rules for Alien entries, or is this just the corps?

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Even without a pilot, that 20x20 is pretty tight, especially if you want full articulation. I was downsizing everything to get it in.

Even without a pilot, that 20x20 is pretty tight, especially if you want full articulation. I was downsizing everything to get it in.

That's what I found to be the case as well. Looking at the WIP you've got on Flickr, I'd say ours ended up approximately comparable in size. 'cept mine doesn't have a cute tail.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Just a question about Mech... no weapon allowed is it for portable weapons like rifle, bazooka, absolutely killing blaster ? are claws or drill or auger which can be part of the hands included ?

No weapons at all, though claws would be ok.

Question: any rules for Alien entries, or is this just the corps?

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I'm sure we had something about aliens in there at some point :look: I'd say alien entries are allowed but as usual they won't be able to gain anything other than credits.

You can thank Bob for that - I wanted it to be 16x16! (which is why the example pic is that size :grin:)

Ok, I lied. Mine does have a cute tail. :grin:

Tail? That is but a rump sir.

And you, Mr Sal: 16x16... Tis cruelty to impose such a limitation upon us many fair and capable technical builders. We thank Bob for those extra four studs, that our mechs might actually have knees and elbows.

Mine has neither knees nor elbows and would easily fit in a 16x16 frame. I'll hopefully post it tomorrow.

Does the combat mech have to have 2 legs or could i give it like 4 or something? Just checking thanks.

Make an unmanned combat mech. It should have two arms and two legs. No weapons are allowed

:classic:

Question. I want to show an "In progress" shot of the robot for Cat. A for my weekly build, but I want to post the weekly build before I post the challenge build. Is that okay? Will that make it unusable for the challenge? It will be shown very disassembled. Thanks. :classic:

Quick question, looking over some of the mech builds, when showing proof ov 20x20, can the "fingers" if you have any be curled in to fit or does everything have to be outstretched furthest possible length sort of speak...