Blue_Bird

What are you reading?

Got a bunch of magazines called "Das Magazin (The Magazin)" from the German Democratic Republic from the 1970s and 1980s. It's like a time machine :laugh:

I got the Motorcycle Permit. Now to make motorxross types of motorcycles the gambit, because I don't want the free license paying method with Harley-Davidson, them motorcycles are for Lames.. I am now reading ""Armies of the Crusades (Men at Arms Series)"

I may eventually dip my toes into the Star Wars expanded universe again at some point.  I remember liking the Jedi Academy Trilogy and the X-Wing series (don't think I finished them, I think there is like 14).

For now I've been re-reading all my favorite "hacker" books.  I do mean the old school definition of hacker.  Steve Wozniak's iWoz is something I go back to every few years.  He's much more of an idol to me than Steve Jobs would ever be.  Just someone who enjoys life and has done so much with the time given to him.  Co-founding Apple, leaving to start other companies, putting on two huge concerts, playing countless pranks and helping with computer education.  Kevin Mitnick's "ghost in the wires" keeps me on the edge of my seat even though I've read it a few times before, it's just such a unique story.  I would have ran from the FBI too if I had been put in solitary confinement for 8 months without ever hurting anyone or depriving any person of property.  People just didn't understand technology back then.  I would recommend either of these to anyone, even to non-technical people.

I'm reading : Star Wars - Thrawn (tome 1) from Timothy Zahn.
Already 4 chapters in, it's nice to get some background on this character...
I never read anything about him before his first appearance in the Rebels serie.
It feels right to get to know him a little bit better before the Ahsoka's serie comes out.

I'm finishing up Naomi Novik's Temeraire series (basically alt-history Napoleonic Wars with dragon air forces).

On 4/20/2023 at 2:33 AM, SpaceM said:

I'm reading : Star Wars - Thrawn (tome 1) from Timothy Zahn.
Already 4 chapters in, it's nice to get some background on this character...
I never read anything about him before his first appearance in the Rebels serie.
It feels right to get to know him a little bit better before the Ahsoka's serie comes out.

You can also go back and read the old EU novels where he first appeared (same author) - there's a trilogy and a duology. Heir to the Empire is almost certainly going to be influential to the broad story strokes of Ahsoka.

Reading 1984 now. 
I have seen the movie. A decent adaption. Very depressive. There is no single moment where you can laugh during the movie.

But the book is better. It is impossible to cover this book in a less then 2 hours movie.

On 3/12/2023 at 10:30 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

Got a bunch of magazines called "Das Magazin (The Magazin)" from the German Democratic Republic from the 1970s and 1980s. It's like a time machine :laugh:

Do you have any suggestions for good movies about the DDR?

10 hours ago, vijv said:

Do you have any suggestions for good movies about the DDR?

• Good Bye, Lenin! (2003)
  • The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen, 2006)
  • Sonnenallee (1999)
  • Gundermann (2018)
  • Freies Land (2020)
  • The Same Sky (Der gleiche Himmel, 2017)
  • Mord in Eberswalde (2013)
  • Deutschland 83, Deutschland 86, Deutschland 89 (2015-2020)
  • And the German Classic "Go Trabi Go" (1991) :pir_laugh2:

Some of the movies i like. Mostly crime and spies but also comedy and drama.

"Ready Player One".

Again. Never saw the movie and will not. It doesn't get better than the written words creating my very own movie in my head.

And: "Artemis" - simply because Art3mis is my favorite character in Ready Player One ;) The novel is so cool ...

I shall pick my favorite character in Artemis and then find another book ... well, it is of course "Jazz" ... "Imagine a town where you can stay out as late as you want, wake up when it suits you, you never have to go to work, and everything is free for the taking." That sounds like fun ...

Best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie