TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

Dimensions fun packs are £3.75 in Smyths atm, I went to my local one and bought 6 copies of the cyberman funpack.(I got a few odd looks as an added bonus)

On 1/2/2019 at 3:04 PM, Agent Kallus said:

Dimensions fun packs are £3.75 in Smyths atm, I went to my local one and bought 6 copies of the cyberman funpack.(I got a few odd looks as an added bonus)

I bought six of the Cyberman pack myself a while back, but wound up giving one to a couple of friends who are big Doctor Who fans, so I’m down to five. I had found six more marked down to less than three dollars (!) at Target, but I wasn’t able to get them right away, and when I returned the very next day they were all gone, of course.

I’m currently mulling over some Ghostbusters (2016) Story Packs that are marked down quite a bit at another store near me; at the current price, I think it would be worth it just for parts.

I hope to get my PS4 before too much longer so I can finally actually play the game again!

On 12/22/2018 at 5:17 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Here's some speculative art from @just2good and @Ashnflash for Dimensions' rumored canceled wave:

...and here's a closer look at @Ashnflash's artwork:

Here's the rest of @Ashnflash's artwork done for @just2good's video covering Dimensions' purportedly canceled wave:

I’ve seen Avatar brought up a number of times as one of the franchises they hoped to have in Year 3, and multiple people have asked various times which Avatar that meant - the James Cameron movie(s) about the Na’Vi, or the animated series subtitled The Last Airbender - and I think there still hasn’t really been any clarification. Did I miss it? Does anyone know?

(I do of course know the Nickelodeon series Avatar: The Last Airbender did in fact get a couple LEGO sets already, back in 2006; they’re actually how I first learned of the show’s existence, as I’d never heard of it before seeing the sets on the shelves at Toys ‘R’ Us, and wondering what they were about.)

On 12/3/2016 at 12:24 AM, Blondie-Wan said:

An interesting development here:

Cineplex announced today that it is launching a video gaming league for young people, featuring LEGO Dimensions.  The family-friendly program is a new concept in Canada and is geared towards targeting a younger gaming demographic.  LEGO Dimensions, the popular LEGO toy and video game hybrid, takes players on a journey through unexpected worlds featuring a number of pop culture franchises, including Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find ThemThe LEGO MovieHarry Potter, Ghostbusters, The Lord of the Rings, and more.

The new league officially begins in March 2017 and consists of four consecutive weekly sessions where LEGO fans can play and compete in-theatre on the big screen.  The league is set-up so that there are no eliminations and all players, regardless of age or skill level, will be active and engaged throughout the entire season. 

In preparation for this family-friendly series, Cineplex Entertainment is hosting a free LEGO Dimensions Live launch event at 12 theatres across Canada on December 3, 2016 from 12:30-3:30 p.m. In addition to being among the first to play the LEGO Dimensions Battle Arenas on the big screen, the first 50 guests at each theatre will also receive a free LEGO toy.  Gamers under 14 years old must be accompanied by an adult in order to play.

Did anyone here ever get to do this? If so, what was it like?

I mentioned this over in its own thread, but it warrants mention here, too...

Apparently as part of the promotion for the theatrical release of The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Walmart recently began offering special packs a few months ago of the Blu-rays of the three previous LEGO movies bundled with the LEGO Dimensions Starter Pack minifigures. The bundles turn out to be just the entire first bag from the Starter Pack parts boxes, featuring all the parts for Wyldstyle, Gandalf, and Batman - complete with LD toy tag bases - plus the brick separator, which is hardly useful for minifigures.

It’s difficult to read this as anything other than them just plain dumping leftover inventory for the game, though I also have to say it is still a fairly cool promo.

It has taken way too long, but thanks to this year’s Black Friday promos I finally have a PS4 - huzzah! I’m so looking forward to finally playing more than the little bit of this game that I first got to play on my nephew’s XBox One around Christmas 2015, nearly four years ago (!).

On 4/8/2018 at 6:00 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Out of all those rumored franchises, the only one though I'm glad we didn't see was for Despicable Me. Having that on board would've inevitably led to playsets, and, well... :ugh:

Too bad, because you’re getting them anyway! :p 

I played the game quite a bit for a while after getting my PS4 late last year, playing up to the fourth level or so, and also opening a few fun packs (Benny, Buttercup, Cyberman) plus the Supergirl promo, and spent a hefty chunk of time with the Adventure Worlds for DC, Doctor Who, The LEGO Movie, The Lord of the Rings, and The Powerpuff Girls. Then put it aside for several months while my attention was diverted by other things, but finally picked it up again recently, and finished the story mode.

It’s so fun! The game is a joy, and deserves to have done better. I’m looking forward to doing so much more with the game, with all the expansion packs I have - I still have every other pack to open (plus dupes of every one I’ve already opened, except for Supergirl - the ones I opened before were just those I’d managed to get multiples of). I know there’s more to do even in all the Adventure Worlds I’ve already explored, plus twenty-five worlds I’ve yet to experience at all, plus all the additional levels from Level and Story Packs, plus all the Battle Arenas (the only one accessible from any pack I’ve opened yet is Buttercup’s, and I haven’t tried even that yet). There’s still so much to do!

Had the game continued adding material beyond its second year, there’s no telling how huge it would have become, given that Year Two added not just a bunch of new packs and franchises, but whole new pack types, and entirely different ways to play, and we know more such things were planned for Year 3. We’re now nearing the end of the fifth actual year since the game was released. Just imagine what could have been if it had kept going - a means to scan one’s own brick creations into the game, and possibly other game-editing creative features; the “Connectables”, whatever they were; dozens of additional entertainment properties and LEGO themes added, likely including any number of Disney-owned things including stuff from Pixar, Lucasfilm, and Marvel, plus additional packs for extant themes. Ah, if only.

Perhaps it’s just as well; there’s a heck of a lot in the game already, and I for one struggled to get all of it, even with the numerous sales and clearances. All the material for this game exacerbated my already-considerable LEGO storage challenges, and my completion drives would be sorely tested if there had been tons of additional packs representing further franchises like Despicable Me / Minions and Angry Birds (though having recently finally begun watching Avatar: The Last Airbender and already being in love with it, I dearly wish that could have been represented here, or at least that I could have gotten the two sets LEGO released for it back in the day).

I think our best hope is that Lego keeps any licences they obtained for Year 3 and makes regular sets with them. I wonder if that's how we ended up with the upcoming Loony Tunes CMF series?

I never ended up playing Lego Dimensions despite being a huge Disney Infinity and Lego fan when it came out. I ended up getting the starter pack and a few packs at some point in late 2017 (I believe it was Benny, Samurai X, maybe another one, and then the Sonic pack that goes for like $50 now...) I ended up returning them when I decided that I didn’t want to spend a bunch of time and money getting everything for the game when it had already been cancelled. 

Three years later, I’m thinking about trying it out again. I need some more games to play on the PS4 since I won’t be getting the PS5 for a few years and there won’t be many more games released for the older console. I checked and saw that Starter Packs are around $70-100 online, which is about how much they cost during their release. I’m thinking about trying it out next year, but my question for all of you is if the game is worth it or not? Obviously I’ll get enjoyment out of the physical Lego elements (so many great minifigures came out for this game), but is the game engaging and time consuming enough to invest in?

On 12/2/2020 at 2:57 AM, The Stud said:

is the game engaging and time consuming enough to invest in?

That is difficult to answer without knowing you. Do you like the other Lego videogames?

The starter kit costs about 30€ at my place. You have about 9 hours of real story content and a lot more of boring searching for collectibles. For my part the 9 hours of quality content and some good jokes involving my favourite licences are worth that. On top you get 3 neat minifigs. The toy to live aspect makes this so much better than the other Lego Video games we get these days. I'd recomend this pack for pretty much anyone, but of course it is still a pathetic deal when you can get several hundreds of hours of high quality Gameplay with Witcher 3 or red dead redemption 2 for the same price.

The fun packs and Team packs have huge differences in quality. E.T. has some cute sentences and great animations. I already bought his pack just for the figure before making the decision to get the game. He also gives you access to his movie-world (nice to see some Locations from those licences in brick Form but there is no Gameplay except for searching for collectibles). Same for the Gremlins. Unikitty has lots of new interactions with other characters including cute comments and funny jokes done in her original movie voice. No additional levels. Bane only says a few sentences from the dark knight rises which are completely out of place in 99% of situations. Also no new world. Bart has no voice at all and is only giving you access to Springfield, which you can already visit, if you have the pack with Homer. In general i'd choose only a few of my favourite Charakters to improve my experience in the main game.

The level packs are pretty much like the fun packs in terms of different qualities. The Simpsons "level" pack for example is unbelievable short and is just a Lego version of a Simpsons Episode that was pretty much just chosen because it has very few characters in it. If you get it on sale for 15€ and don't have Homer so the minifig is something you want, we reach a point where you won't feel completely ripped off.

I got the the Lego Batman story pack for 30€ which was  hardly worth the money to me. I can use the printed elements for a batcave wanted the two figures and enjoyed the between 4 and 5 hours story driven Gameplay.

14 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

That is difficult to answer without knowing you. Do you like the other Lego videogames?

I love the classic ones, including the two Indiana Jones games, Star Wars: The Complete Saga, LSW 3: The Clone Wars, and the little bits of the original Batman and Harry Potter games that I’ve played. I haven’t been too interested in most of the recent games though. I don’t think I’ve played a single Lego game that’s come out since 2010, other than The Force Awakens which I got bored of very quickly. I was kind of interested in the Ninjago Movie game but never picked it up, same goes for Dimensions.

I can imagine certain Packs have more to offer than others. The same went for the Disney Infinity games, which was a series I was in love with when it was coming out. There were some lackluster Play Sets, which was that game’s equivalent to the Story or Level Packs of Dimensions, and pointless characters, but at the end of the day, I got almost every single character and piece of content for that series. That’s why I’m worried about diving into Lego Dimensions: I’m worried about getting addicted to collecting another Toys to Life game. :laugh:

I know if I get into this game, I’m going to go all in and try to get everything for it. I just want to know if the game itself is worth it, or if I’d be better off buying the interesting minifigures off Bricklink.

Well, given my previous posts, naturally  I’d say it’s worth it. I will note that the “9 hours of real story content” mentioned by Gorilla94 is technically accurate but misleading; if you just play straight through without going on asides and you succeed at everything right off and so on, it might take that long, but the core story levels can keep you engaged much longer once you add in all the extraneous stuff to do in them, as well as challenging sections that may take a while depending on your skill. The add-on levels from Level Packs can all be completed in under an hour, but will likely take much longer to fully explore and do everything. But how much fun they are can vary, and will also likely be affected by personal taste (in particular, your level of interest in particular entertainment franchises represented in the game).

Right now, the biggest issue should just be finding packs. Not so long ago it was still possible to find at least some of the packs steeply clearanced, but now they’re pretty much entirely gone from stores, and I think all packs are climbing upwards in price, with many now difficult to obtain for anything less than several times their original MSRP. If you’re not averse to getting LEGO second-hand, your best bet might be to buy a collection of it from someone who got into the game early on, played it extensively until they’d gotten their fill, and is done with it.

1 hour ago, Blondie-Wan said:

If you’re not averse to getting LEGO second-hand, your best bet might be to buy a collection of it from someone who got into the game early on, played it extensively until they’d gotten their fill, and is done with it.

I second this - I recently picked up a great Ebay listing that had every set I was missing for a very good price and looking through sold listings on the site while not super common people do list complete sets from time to time for less than it would cost to pick up all of the individually expensive sets.

On 12/24/2020 at 12:58 AM, The Stud said:

f I get into this game, I’m going to go all in and try to get everything for it. I just want to know if the game itself is worth it, or if I’d be better off buying the interesting minifigures off Bricklink.

I'm playing through the game again after a couple of years right now and it's still a blast and it's probably my favorite lego videogame. Each of the franchises and characters are given such care and if you're a fan of many of them like I am I have to recommend trying the game out. From a gameplay perspective from someone who's played most of the console lego videogames, I feel that it has the right balance of keeping the fun lego video game feel and having loads of new gameplay features without feeling like there's too much going on that I get from a couple of the newer games which makes it a blast to play. Even back in 2015 when all I had were a couple of packs the game still had a lot to offer. 

On 1/1/2021 at 3:03 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

Well, given my previous posts, naturally  I’d say it’s worth it. I will note that the “9 hours of real story content” mentioned by Gorilla94 is technically accurate but misleading; if you just play straight through without going on asides and you succeed at everything right off and so on, it might take that long, but the core story levels can keep you engaged much longer once you add in all the extraneous stuff to do in them, as well as challenging sections that may take a while depending on your skill. The add-on levels from Level Packs can all be completed in under an hour, but will likely take much longer to fully explore and do everything. But how much fun they are can vary, and will also likely be affected by personal taste (in particular, your level of interest in particular entertainment franchises represented in the game).

Right now, the biggest issue should just be finding packs. Not so long ago it was still possible to find at least some of the packs steeply clearanced, but now they’re pretty much entirely gone from stores, and I think all packs are climbing upwards in price, with many now difficult to obtain for anything less than several times their original MSRP. If you’re not averse to getting LEGO second-hand, your best bet might be to buy a collection of it from someone who got into the game early on, played it extensively until they’d gotten their fill, and is done with it.

Thanks for the input! I’m someone who likes to complete games to the highest level possible, so it’s good to hear that there’s a lot of content on top of the main 9 hour-ish story. I like a good amount of the franchises within the game and for the ones that I’m not particularly fond of, I’m sure the Lego aspect will keep me invested.

As for getting the packs themselves, I’m definitely not averse to buying used Lego. I tend to prefer it sealed, but so long as it’s in good condition, I’ll be happy. And in this case where building’s less of the objective as playing the game and getting the figures, I’m okay with doing it that way. I’ve mentioned my previous interest in Disney Infinity in some of my earlier posts, and I have to say that I would not have been able to get a near-complete collection of characters for that game if it weren’t for me buying a lot of the figures used. (GameStop had this fantastic deal at the time where you could buy two used figures and get three free, or vice versa. They probably had a similar promotion for Dimensions come to think of it...)

I suppose that I’ll just have to keep checking eBay for any used lots to really boost my collection, and fill the rest via Bricklink and anything I can find at secondhand shops near me. I actually found two of the Level Packs at a Ross recently, so I might try checking some of the stores near me as well.

On 1/1/2021 at 4:26 PM, LegoPercyJ said:

I second this - I recently picked up a great Ebay listing that had every set I was missing for a very good price and looking through sold listings on the site while not super common people do list complete sets from time to time for less than it would cost to pick up all of the individually expensive sets.

I'm playing through the game again after a couple of years right now and it's still a blast and it's probably my favorite lego videogame. Each of the franchises and characters are given such care and if you're a fan of many of them like I am I have to recommend trying the game out. From a gameplay perspective from someone who's played most of the console lego videogames, I feel that it has the right balance of keeping the fun lego video game feel and having loads of new gameplay features without feeling like there's too much going on that I get from a couple of the newer games which makes it a blast to play. Even back in 2015 when all I had were a couple of packs the game still had a lot to offer. 

Glad to hear your endorsement of the game! New gameplay features are certainly welcome as a lot of Lego’s recent game ventures have seemed rather similar to me. Part of the reason I didn’t get back into the game back when it came out is because I didn’t care as much for the properties within it. I liked the in-house Lego stuff, along with some random things here and there, but I just didn’t have that connection to any of the franchises in the game. And part of the reason I’m interested in it now is that I have grown fond for a lot of the game’s properties in recent years. 

I’ll certainly try the game out at some point; I’m just not sure when. I’ve been extremely busy the last few months and I’m not sure when I’ll have the time to invest in this game. I also have a long list of Lego related purchases I want to make that supersede Dimensions that will make me have to hold off on getting it anytime soon. I have to say though, I’m looking forward to trying it out whenever I get the chance. In the meantime, I’ll try checking out some gameplay on Youtube and start looking for whatever deals I can find.

Thanks for all the advice!

Edited by The Stud

I happen to have all three Legends of Chima Fun Packs plus a Ninjago Nya Fun Pack in case someone wants/needs to add them to their collection.

Hi,

I've just dusted off my figures, downloaded some patches and started playing again, but it seems like I can't switch attires anymore.

I've got Supergirl on the screen, I get the character wheel, I watch the red outline go and change her to the Red Lantern portrait... and then nothing. Can't change modes. Same thing with the 2016 Ghostbusters and Tina / Queenie from Fantastic Beasts. Is this a known bug? Are there any fixes?

Thanks for any light y'all can shed on this...

On 3/15/2021 at 7:41 PM, Iron Moose said:

Hi,

I've just dusted off my figures, downloaded some patches and started playing again, but it seems like I can't switch attires anymore.

I've got Supergirl on the screen, I get the character wheel, I watch the red outline go and change her to the Red Lantern portrait... and then nothing. Can't change modes. Same thing with the 2016 Ghostbusters and Tina / Queenie from Fantastic Beasts. Is this a known bug? Are there any fixes?

Thanks for any light y'all can shed on this...

No idea, sorry. What platform are you on (or should I just assume it’s the PS4, since you mentioned Supergirl)?

I forgot to mention it earlier, but back in January LD became the first game in which I earned a Platinum trophy. My, I do love this game.

I do wish we could have gotten one more year of releases out of it, though goodness knows there’s already a ton to do with it. I know there’s been a lot of discussion of third year themes already, but I often find myself fantasizing about additions  that could have been but weren’t, including several we never heard rumored or anything, just things I’d have loved to have seen and that I think might have fit:

The Dark Crystal

Labyrinth

Big Trouble in Little China

The Neverending Story

Bionicle

Elves

Nexo Knights

The LEGO Ninjago Movie

Unikitty!

I think the last couple items would have been fairly likely if Year 3 had happened, covering late 2017 and early 2018 (particularly TLNM), but the rest not so much, though I do think they’d have fit well alongside whatever else they’d have given us and what already exists in the game.

And as indicated before, now that I’ve seen both shows, I’d dearly love it if we could have had Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra in this game.