Blakbird

LDraw models needed for Technicopedia

Ok, this simple model was way harder than I thought it would be.

Simple because, I am not that good at LSynth.

For life of me I could not get the rubber band to work right, so after few days off playing around with it I opted to use a string instead of the rubber band.

If somebody can edit it and make it with rubber band that would be great.

8444 is next:)

Good point on the rubber band. It appears that LSynth only looks at the orientation of the first constraint for band synthesis, and assumes all other constraints are in the same plane.

I'll try my hands on 8434 then. I'll model it with landing gear deployed and rotors tilted upwards ("vertical take off-mode"). Probably won't be able to LSynth the flex axles though :blush:

Good point on the rubber band. It appears that LSynth only looks at the orientation of the first constraint for band synthesis, and assumes all other constraints are in the same plane.

Indeed. But it is possible to create non planar rubber bands like hoses or strings, using simple "pass through" constraints. To make a loop you simply need to have last constraint = first constraint (same position/orientation). Not so easy to properly follow round shapes this way though...

There is a tutorial and various files (including an unofficial version of LSynth.mpd defining RUBBER_BAND_NO_PLANE and RUBBER_BAND_SQUARE_NO_PLANE) here. Sorry, it's in French, Google translate is your friend :wink:

Indeed. But it is possible to create non planar rubber bands like hoses or strings, using simple "pass through" constraints. To make a loop you simply need to have last constraint = first constraint (same position/orientation). Not so easy to properly follow round shapes this way though...

There is a tutorial and various files (including an unofficial version of LSynth.mpd defining RUBBER_BAND_NO_PLANE and RUBBER_BAND_SQUARE_NO_PLANE) here. Sorry, it's in French, Google translate is your friend :wink:

It looks like he is using RUBBER_BAND_NO_PLANE

However I do not have that option in my MLCad…

I did not find anything on how to add RUBBER_BAND_NO_PLANE

I finished the 8434, you can download the LDraw file(s) here I think (it's on bricksafe). I don't know how to make a .mpd of the main model with subassemblies, so I put them all in a zip-folder.

Like I said, it doesn't have any of the flex axles modelled, but everything else is pretty much spot on (except for a small issue with an axle going through a beam due to the length of the damped shock absorber).

1024x476.jpg

In case I haven't said it often enough, I just wanted to reiterate my thanks to community for the level of support being provided here. It is really helpful! We're already more than halfway through the files I was missing, and altogether my records say I have files for 227 Technic models.

I finished the 8434, you can download the LDraw file(s) here I think (it's on bricksafe). I don't know how to make a .mpd of the main model with subassemblies, so I put them all in a zip-folder.

Like I said, it doesn't have any of the flex axles modelled, but everything else is pretty much spot on (except for a small issue with an axle going through a beam due to the length of the damped shock absorber).

Use the "multipart menu" and select "import model" to add the submodels and make an MPD. I'm going that right now. I'll take care of the flex parts as well.

:wub: I love the 8434. It has a special meaning to me, it was my first "modern" technic set.

42027 is complete (sort of).

Here is the download link.

Problems:

- Since 12799 Pullback Motor does not yet exist in LDraw, two purple 3X5 L Beams (32526) were used as placeholders for the necessary pin holes.

- Since 40001 Steering Yoke does not yet exist in LDraw, Technic Small Steering Wheel (2819) was used in its place.

- Rope for the hook is not modeled.

Hi Blackbird, 8441 is finished - posted over on the LDraw topic (here).

Black Rubber Band Medium (Square Cross Section) (x88) is included in the file as a submodel to get the correct shape, but it does not appear in the parts list.

8233/8239 is done.

I reckon I could probably take the rest of 1998, particularly 8462 (as I have this one and will be able to build from an actual instruction booklet). That said, if Philo wants to tackle 8257 (due to its similarity to 8245), he can go right ahead.

Go team! We're smashing it!

Bah, the translation seems to cut out a quarter of the way through the (quite large) page - just above the bit about non-planar bands!. Pity, because it's the best LSynth tutorial I've seen. At least, for the bits I could read.

Owen.

Bah, the translation seems to cut out a quarter of the way through the (quite large) page - just above the bit about non-planar bands!. Pity, because it's the best LSynth tutorial I've seen. At least, for the bits I could read.

Owen.

I had the same problem when using Google Translate, but if you use the built-in translate feature from Google Chrome, it does translate the whole page. Chrome is just not my favorite browser, I just happened to have it installed :tongue:

Owen.

I had the same problem...

I got it to work by typing the url in google search field and hitting "translate this page" on the result page...

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://jc-tchang.philohome.com/manuel/Lsynth3.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://jc-tchang.philohome.com/manuel/Lsynth3.htm%26biw%3D1516%26bih%3D769

Go team! We're smashing it!

We really are. I'm amazed at the progress. 41 of the 68 models I needed are done, 27 to go.

I'll first complete 8257... Took more time than expected (got sidetracked!).

I certainly can't blame you there. I got sidetracked for 4 years with Technicopedia!

A small question before it's too late to change it: When reproducing official models, I normally follow the steps from the booklets and put substeps that are part of a step in MLCAD submodels; is this OK for you Blackbird or do you prefer to have all the parts in the main model without any submodels ?

I'm asking because I know you like to make transparant renders of the main model to show geartrains and electrical circuits and stuff, and that's much more work-intensive for you if I'm using submodels for everything as you'll have to go through all the submodels when you want to make such renders :sceptic: .

It's the same for me by the way :classic:

Do it however you like and I'll adapt. My preference is lots of submodels, especially for things that rotate together. A single LDR file is actually the hardest to use for making internal renders. Building steps are not necessary but appreciated.