Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Grove GMK6400 Mobile Crane

Wow the sheer size of the boom is amazing enough. Great review. I thnk you should make more MOC reviews like this

Blakbird, great review and much appreciated the writing efforts, by knowing that you are very busy with recent Technicopedia update. I enjoy reading both of them as they are so logically, precisely and professionally documented as you always do. Thanks a lot. One big different in the building process is that I sorted my bricks by modules and put them into smaller bags because I have a much smaller kid who keep swapping things whatever he can put into his mouth... That won't allow me to lay everything on the table at once, and I did one or two modules a day such that the building process took about a week.

For such a huge model, the capacity for add-ons are still a lot. Some information that you mentioned, for example, the axles engagement of high / low speed drive mode of the real crane, inspired me to think adding a manual switch/clutch at the bottom possible space of front outrigger such that it might give a choice for faster drive mode with first two axles only or slower drive mode with all wheels drive. Another example may be some small wheels to help keeping the boom straighten when extended, which I saw you already did.

Is there any video of this crane? Is moving really so bad?

Yeah, that's kind of a bummer to hear. What's your opinion on the crane's moving and steering, Blakbird?

I have videos for first driving test and after built for Mk-I, but I don't have time to re-film the Mk-II.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAQzKA-TVG0

I can say the carrier drive with no problem. Once adding the weight of the superstructure, it still drive ok on hard surface, but struggle a bit on carpet.

Who said it was bad? You can read my impressions of the moving and steering in my review. Apart from some axles falling out sometimes, it works great.

I just finished building this one. It looks great but barely move and steering is poorly working. Otherwise great build.

Maybe some small mistakes during assembly.

Edited by Kladovec

Yeah, I was referring to kandykop's post. Glad to hear it seems to have been an assembly error.

P.S.: Blakbird, your daughters are adorable. Have you got them working on instructions yet?

[...]

P.S.: Blakbird, your daughters are adorable. Have you got them working on instructions yet?

:laugh: Like he's going to make an instructions factory or something :tongue:

wait, where's the picture of the Terex super structure on the Grove Chassis?

I actually thought about that when they were both sitting on the table at the same time. They both use the same turntable, so it is technically possible. I thought of putting the Terex shovel on the Grove carrier, but it won't work because of the long axle sticking out the bottom that it is not safe to remove. But I guess you could do the combination the other way around.

:laugh: Like he's going to make an instructions factory or something :tongue:

The older of the two would probably be fine with that. She wants to be a Master Builder and is going through all the Master Builder Academy sets.

Tell her that part of becoming a Master Builder is making excellent TLG-quality instructions of popular MOCs for free.

Maybe some small mistakes during assembly.

Yeah, I was referring to kandykop's post. Glad to hear it seems to have been an assembly error.

It was not any mistake... The problem is that I put Grove on the rug which has very high friction. The driving and steering are OK when I test-drive it on tile floor.

It was not any mistake... The problem is that I put Grove on the rug which has very high friction. The driving and steering are OK when I test-drive it on tile floor.

Yes, carpet is a problem. Besides the extra friction when going straight, the real problem is steering. I think some of this is caused by the lack of center differentials (between axles).

Yes, carpet is a problem. Besides the extra friction when going straight, the real problem is steering. I think some of this is caused by the lack of center differentials (between axles).

It could be. Do you still have problem with 2L axles falling out? Mine is good for now.

You can see in the video...the problem it's the design itself! The angles of steer are absolutely wrong in all axles! you can see the "non steering" wheels tug! Looks like the all crane hasn't a "rotation point" in it's body....normally all the crane have one! :sweet:

http://www.tdkv.com/sites/default/files/CAD-crane-drawings.png

Seem's that the 4 dbg are also lbg in the BI, as I counted 34 lbg, and no dbg in the draft 3.

So we have a little part list discrepancy in draft 3.

I corrected the Brickstock (Brickstore) file here.

corrected 34 lbg 32184.gifremoved the dbg

corrected 1 black 4185.gif to dbg

edit: removed bsx file, use Blakbird file

Edited by Zimix

Seem's that the 4 dbg are also lbg in the BI, as I counted 34 lbg, and no dbg in the draft 3.

So we have a little part list discrepancy in draft 3.

That was an intentional change. The original file had those parts in dbg, but they are very rare and the color is irrelevant given where they are placed so I changed them to lbg in the instructions.

Will the final BI also cover the RC unit ? would be nice to

No, I don't think so because there is no controller in the CAD file. I haven't seen any special controller designed for this model.