snefroe

Review: Paradisa 6419

I think paradisa is one of the amazing forgottens of LEGO

I have several (not all) sets of this line. All of them are amazing. They are a great inclusion for any city, like the poolside, the Sand Dollar Cafe ot the dolphin point.

The color scheme is great and the details are present in all the sets.

Lluis

My fiance has a huge collection of Paradisa, and every Christmas she gets at least one new set from me, er... Santa ;)

Then she builds all sets, while I am building my new Exo-Force sets *lol*

Peaceful Lego building under the Christmas tree. That

Why don't you try to replace the pinkish colors with more decent ones (like grey or blue or so), I'm pretty sure the effect will be a 100% compatible town set!

Note to myself: As soon as I rebuild all my old sets I will try this myself!

There was some great set design going on in those Paradisa sets, but I was always vaguely bothered by the gender stereotyping going on. The line was obviously intended to be marketed at girls, and look at the set contents -- beaches, ponies, swimming pools, restaurants. Why not just give the mini-figs a vacuum cleaner, a stove, and a time machine back to the '50s. Ugh.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see current Town sets with stuff like beaches and restaurants. But why do we need "Girl Town" sets and "Boy Town" sets? It's absurd. Why no female cops, fire fighters, construction workers, or doctors? And TLC wonders why girls aren't as interested in their products. Gee, maybe it's because they're trying to enforce gender roles that are 50 years out of date.

Reminds me of when McDonald's has "Boy Happy Meals" with a toy truck and "Girl Happy Meals" with a Barbie doll. That drives me nuts.

Reminds me of when McDonald's has "Boy Happy Meals" with a toy truck and "Girl Happy Meals" with a Barbie doll. That drives me nuts.

Well... If I was still a child, I wouldn

Gender stereotyping pisses me off too. Lego needs to get with the times. In allmost all Lego sets The woman is merely featured in the backround doing something 'girly', where now-a-days, women are treated as equeals, as they should, but they arn't in Lego. I also hate how pink is associated with women or homosexual men, as exampled in Paradisa. In a way, all brands inforce this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Manly Town" (Normal town)- The men do the 'manly' jobs while the females are in the backround, if featured at all.

"Girly Town" (Paradisa)- The women are doing 'girly' things like horse back riding (which isn't that girly now-a-days), and men are in the backround as waiters, or some surf-board hunk.

Stereotypes :-|

Ah fantastic, now we've come to a point I made on this forum a few months ago.

For those unaware, by profession, I'm a Nurse. I also happen to be blessed with a Y chromosome.

It occurred to me sometime ago that LEGO hospital / medical emergency sets were sadly lacking in Nurse minifigs. Also, any male medical-type minifig will automatically be assumed to be a Dr or paramedic and female a Nurse. This is conforming to stereotypes and frankly might be simplictic but is in applicable in the 21st century.

To wit, Mrs Tau is a land and building surveyor by profession. I jokingly say to people that we're gonna have confused kids: mummy wears a hard-hat to work and daddy wears a plastic apron. However, we are certainly not atypical.

This whole predominantly-male minigs in labour (police, road repair) and predominantly female minifigs in leisure (horseriding etc) is an outmoded concept. I want female police officers and fire fighters!

Though we can do without female pilots; drivers are bad enough!

Sorry, I've gone off topic a tad. Yes, Paradisa, great line!

I never bought paradisa sets. From what I'm seeing here I think I made a mistake. :'-(

Ah fantastic, now we've come to a point I made on this forum a few months ago.

For those unaware, by profession, I'm a Nurse. I also happen to be blessed with a Y chromosome.

It occurred to me sometime ago that LEGO hospital / medical emergency sets were sadly lacking in Nurse minifigs. Also, any male medical-type minifig will automatically be assumed to be a Dr or paramedic and female a Nurse. This is conforming to stereotypes and frankly might be simplictic but is in applicable in the 21st century.

To wit, Mrs Tau is a land and building surveyor by profession. I jokingly say to people that we're gonna have confused kids: mummy wears a hard-hat to work and daddy wears a plastic apron. However, we are certainly not atypical.

This whole predominantly-male minigs in labour (police, road repair) and predominantly female minifigs in leisure (horseriding etc) is an outmoded concept. I want female police officers and fire fighters!

Though we can do without female pilots; drivers are bad enough!

Sorry, I've gone off topic a tad. Yes, Paradisa, great line!

well what can we say? Lego is a man's world in every aspect... If you want to change that, my advice would be to get the feminist groups in the UK to make a lot of noise about this, and maybe, just maybe, a journalist may pick it up and confronts a Lego rep with that. Hopefully, he'll be good enough to not let it go by the usual "lego is for boys, they don't want female figs" explenation...

i do under stand the essence of your post though. We're never going to get an acceptable level of equality between male and female if we bring up our children with classic patterns of males and females in our society... Lego should at least make the effort to get more females in their sets, like a female pilot... If the US Air Force has several female wing commanders in the fleet, then surely it wouldn't be that difficult to get a female pilot in a Lego airliner... :-|

you know, it's kinda funny, we in Belgium always seem to idealise Skandinavia: they're the best in environmental policies, in economics, in the way they organise their nation, humanity,... and Lego always seems to find ways to proof the opposite. they waste lots and lots of paper to have huge boxes, they dump a zillion people because management blunders, and they're clearly not promoting a world of equality through the products they're offering...

well what can we say? Lego is a man's world in every aspect... If you want to change that, my advice would be to get the feminist groups in the UK to make a lot of noise about this, and maybe, just maybe, a journalist may pick it up and confronts a Lego rep with that. Hopefully, he'll be good enough to not let it go by the usual "lego is for boys, they don't want female figs" explenation...

i do under stand the essence of your post though. We're never going to get an acceptable level of equality between male and female if we bring up our children with classic patterns of males and females in our society... Lego should at least make the effort to get more females in their sets, like a female pilot... If the US Air Force has several female wing commanders in the fleet, then surely it wouldn't be that difficult to get a female pilot in a Lego airliner... :-|

you know, it's kinda funny, we in Belgium always seem to idealise Skandinavia: they're the best in environmental policies, in economics, in the way they organise their nation, humanity,... and Lego always seems to find ways to proof the opposite. they waste lots and lots of paper to have huge boxes, they dump a zillion people because management blunders, and they're clearly not promoting a world of equality through the products they're offering...

I think it's sad how many different times Lego has tried to market to girls -- Paradisa, Scala, Belville, Clikits, etc. They keep trying and failing.

Girls don't need or want separate themes that are so obviously and shamlessly pandering to stereotypical notions of what girls like. It's embarrassing how dense TLC is about this. Why not just add some more female mini-figs into the existing themes? When we do get female figs, we get outdated crap like the "damsel in distress" in the new Castle set. Ugh. What century is TLC living in?!?! Even in their licensed themes! Where are the Padme and Leia figs? Leia has only popped up a handful of times (usually in her slave bikini costume), and we haven't seen a Padme fig in about seven years. Where's the Batgirl fig? I remember being pleasantly surprised that Alpha Team had two female characters. That was cool.

I didn't mean to derail the topic here, which was supposed to be about Paradisa. I've just always had a love / hate relationship with Paradisa.

I want more female minifigs in City, Castle and Space!

Do you read that TLC!!! *sing*

(no offence mend, but maybe they are reading this) :-)

Edited by Wout

Um... given the century Castle is playing in, more female minifigs would mean more damsels in distress. You don

Um... given the century Castle is playing in, more female minifigs would mean more damsels in distress. You don
Edited by Wout

I'm pretty sure there weren't necromancers and hordes of the undead in the Middle Ages either, and yet Lego has seen fit to include them. Lego Castle is "medieval fantasy," not "medieval history."

I'd love to see more female warriors. To date, I think there's only ever been one. Well, maybe two if you include the famous Forest Wench.

Yea, some amazons would be nice! *wub*

amazon03.jpg