Bob De Quatre

Dress my Exo Suit Mini-challenge - Discussion thread

I would like to post my entry in the history forum as well, because it is a history themed entry. I want to check first though that this is within the rules?

I would like to post my entry in the history forum as well, because it is a history themed entry. I want to check first though that this is within the rules?

It's fine, but post also your entry in the entry thread.

It's fine, but post also your entry in the entry thread.

Thanks Bob, I did already

:wink:

I'll close the contest in approximately 13 hours! So if you haven't posted or finished your entry, you'd better hurry :wink:

Thanks Bob, I did already

:wink:

Oh you're right... :look::grin:

Agh, it's no use. I would make another, but I just won't.

I'm not sure why people decided to wait until the last day to post their entry. What's the point? :look:

-Sci

Agh, it's no use. I would make another, but I just won't.

I'm not sure why people decided to wait until the last day to post their entry. What's the point? :look:

-Sci

Is it no use? I don't understand what do you actually complain on.

I posted my entry yesterday (for me it was not the last day) because I simply have finished it yesterday. I only have time to do time for my hobbies at the weekend.

The challenge is now closed!

Thanks everyone who participated.I must admit that this was harder than I anticipated. Well done everyone.

I'll create a voting thread as soon as possible. :classic:

Will there be 2 categories for voting? (digital creations & bruick built ones)

Cause I don't want to sound whining but I say this regarded to LDD entries that are using non-existing parts (again a recent example with the simpson one - just by looking at the arms I see 4 non-existing part/color combo :sceptic:)

Will there be 2 categories for voting? (digital creations & bruick built ones)

Cause I don't want to sound whining but I say this regarded to LDD entries that are using non-existing parts (again a recent example with the simpson one - just by looking at the arms I see 4 non-existing part/color combo :sceptic:)

Please name the parts. As I stated in the entry I used BrickLink tool for checking moc buildability. and however some parts resulted as rare pieces, all of them do exists due to the test. Thats all I can claim, I don't own these parts, perhaps I have less than half so i have no better evidence.

Here are a few :

Brick, Round 2 x 2 Dome Bottom (BL 15395) does not exist in yellow

Tile, Round 2 x 2 with Hole (BL 15535) only exists in dark bluish grey (also used in white in 1st LDD entry for this contest)

Light Cover with Internal Bar (BL 58176) does not exist in yellow

Plate, Modified 2 x 2 with Bar Frame Octagonal (Bl 30033 or 75937) does not exist in yellow

Also for example Light Bluish Gray Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Ball Receptacle Small on Side (Bl 14704) - does not exist in blue

I don't know BL tool for checking buildability and your entry rocks and is really funny - but this has to be mentioned to be fair to other entries

hello sweetsha. Im affrreid you are right. the tool is available on new MOC shop and it seems it does not work properly :( it showed me few alerts for non existing parts through my concepts but i got rid of them all. its sad because i really meant to avoid non existing parts at all. as it is now, my entry does not meet the rules. sadly, if i knew it earlier id have replaced all of these.

Ok, so it seems we face another LDD gate... :hmpf_bad:

There are 13 brickbuilt entries and 12 LDD entries, so to be fair, they won't be judged together.

Next is how do we deal with entries that use non-existing part/color combinations.

I intended that challenge to be fun and friendly, with nothing to win except having a good time.

That's why even if a rule has been broken, I'm not in favor to disqualify entries if their builders didn't abuse of non existing parts.

I also want to believe that it was not done intentionally.

I don't want to make a poll as I'm sure we can discuss this like grown up AFOLs. I'll listen to what you think is the best way to handle this case before taking any decision.

When entering a contest with such a rule, don't build in the LDD extended mode. LDD Manager is a nice tool to check for parts/colors.

Hosting a contest is time consuming for the staff. If we have to check every digital entry to make sure no rule was broken, it takes a lot more time.

The consequence is that for future contests, we may not allow digital entries, because some people don't abide by the few rules specifics to the digital entries.

Bob, you should have only allowed brick-built entries :laugh:

Just kidding. :laugh_hard:

Well... :look:

Whatever the judging outcome, I just want to say that I really enjoyed participating in this challenge. I generally build static structures (houses, sculptures) so trying to work out how to manipulate and decorate 'technic' parts was a totally new experience for me. I also enjoyed seeing what themes everyone came up with. Well done everyone.

Whatever the judging outcome, I just want to say that I really enjoyed participating in this challenge. I generally build static structures (houses, sculptures) so trying to work out how to manipulate and decorate 'technic' parts was a totally new experience for me. I also enjoyed seeing what themes everyone came up with. Well done everyone.

Btw, I didn't said it before, but your Snowwhite mosaic is terrific! :wink:

I'll listen to what you think is the best way to handle this case before taking any decision.

No strong view. My tendency would be to allow nonexistent part/colour from the outset for digital entries, and judge them separately. They are already dealing with different physics, lighting etc. to the brick built entries, so I have no problem extending this to colour. In this case, I don't think krisandkris was trying to break any rules, and would have been happy to rebuild it, and my view is that the entry should be allowed (even though it's technically an illegal entry). But this is not a strong view, and if there are other LDD contestants who feel disadvantaged by parts/colours rules, I would certainly listen to them.

Thanks Bob for hosting the contest, it's been great fun and there are lots of superb entries, and it's moved a number of us out of our comfort zones!

Edited by robuko

There are a few quick ways to check LDD files for nonexistent parts, none of which are fool proof, especially for minifig and decorated parts, and a few other parts. One is to load the LDD file into rebrickable, you will get a list of errors. LDD manager does similarly. You will then have to check the few parts that are not recognized manually. I'd be happy to check the top 3-4 vote getters, except my entry of course, as needed.

Same here, the main goal was having fun (there was no 100$ prize on the line btw - so I think the pleasure to build something was everyone's only motivation).

I wanted to point those details to have a fair challenge - that's all - and I'm glad to see digital and real entries will be judged separately.

This was also mentioned a few days ago by Oki & myself regarding the 2 1st entries in this thread but without response from the concerned builders.

About the decision to allow or not digital entries, well I do not know for previous challenges but for this one maybe the idea of using an existing frame from a Lego set that was not easy to find for everyone was a constraint that LDD allowed to bypass.

Hello everyone. I'm glad to hear that you are all open minded and up to discuss different points of view. I have already said in my entry how grateful am I for having this challenge. I enjoyed building and I consider these hours of well spent time.

Regarding the question of allowing LDD entries I think it's fair and nobody should feel harmed by that option. This challenge epsecially shows major disadvantages of LDD designing (it's struggle to make these joints in desired position) and I'd certainly end up building from real bricks if only I had this frame. It was also everyones choice whether to build in real or digital way so I think that from this point it can't be more fair.

Non existing bricks is totally different issue and I fully accept the rule as stated in the challenge description. Buildability is very reasonable requirement which I never intended to break. On the contrary, I paid a big attention on that and I really thought I did my best to check for these error parts. Unfortunately I have chosen this BrickLink tool which is either not perfect or in still in development and I fully trusted the result that my model is buildable. I'd avoid using LDD Extended if only the brick pallete of the original theme was complete.

If I could choose, I would much rather recolour my error pieces to match the original rule eventhough the result wouldnt look so neat - Not to have feeling of taking unfair advantage. But your solution os better perhaps since my entry is no the only with such a problem.

Kris

Edited by krisandkris12

Not to be mean toward the effected entrants, but I don't think we should allow entries that don't follow the rule as it would be unfair toward those of us who tried to stick to the rules by working with the limitations of non-extended LDD mode. Perhaps you can give the entrants with currently disqualifying entries an extra week or so to update their entry to follow the rules. If there are still entries after that period that noticeably break that rule, they should be disqualified. I know this is more time consuming, but I think if you're going to set a rule, you should enforce it too. That's my opinion anyway, and I wont feel hurt if you don't decide to go this route.

Either way, I hope this will not effect future contests negatively in any way. This was a fun challenge and it would be a shame if the fun would get limited in future challenges simply because of such a technicality.

I would have to agree with the two prior posts - I made sure that my build used only parts in recent production, and also was buildable, as best as you can do from an LDD - time and lack of the parts in real life prevented a brick build. But since this is a fun activity and we are all grown-ups playing with children's toys, perhaps some leniency is warranted. Future contents will need to be more carefully structured from the get-go. I'd still like to see an LDD option in future contests, but with more clearly stated constraints on use of parts.

I wouldn't say that there were some gaps in rules. Bob stated clearly that only existing parts/colors are allowed for digital entries. It's only my fault that I relied on wrong source of informatin when checking for my parts existence. To keep it very fair I think even one single guy (Oky) who is not happy with posterior rules change is enough to prevent doing that. He followed the rules and I violated them (by mistake for sure but that doesn't change much). And I fully respect his claim.

Kris