Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Spring Valley Ranch

Within the outskirts of Legoredo is a sleepy little place known as Spring Valley Ranch. Owned by a local Cattle Baron, Spring Valley rests atop one of the only areas for miles where water runs under the ground from the nearby mountain spring. The ranch is operated by the Cattle Baron's sons, Jimbo, Wayne, and Billy Madison. They use the ranch as their home after hearding cattle in the hot dry sun. They're not who one would call "good folk", for they obtain much of their cattle from theft and crooked deals with the good people of Legoredo.

Here's some shots of the ranch:

dsc00092.jpg

A big sign out front lets everyone know that this is Spring Valley Ranch:

dsc00095.jpg

The first floor of the Ranch House:

dsc00096.jpg

The second floor provides the Madison boys with a great place to watch the ranch and smoke after a hearty meal:

dsc00097.jpg

Billy, the youngest of the brothers, tends to his horse Dusty. The well provides some cool water for Dusty to drink:

dsc00098.jpg

One stable allows Wayne's horse to rest in the shade:

dsc00099.jpg

dsc00101.jpg

It's a good day at the ranch but there are chores to do:

dsc00100.jpg

Some shots of the ranch from different angles:

dsc00102.jpg

dsc00103.jpg

dsc00105.jpg

dsc00107.jpg

Spring Valley Ranch is my first attempt to build a WW ranch. I may try reconstructing as I think it could use some improvements. Some of the areas that I will rebuild are the fence (using traditional Lego WW black fences), the stable (perhaps adding a barn instead of a stable), and some of the detail of the ranch grounds.

In addition, I was not planning to build a Ranch House, but rather a larger horse ranch/barn. Since this is my first attempt with very few rebuilds, I don't think it came out too bad. Comments welcome.

hey brickster... looks pretty good *y* i like the horse stable the best.

you know, i've always wondered what would happen if a door was added to the second floor (going to the balcony, facing front) of a western building... i knew it would almost have to be symmetrical with the bottom floor. and because of that, i never tried the configuration, fearing that it might look too repetitive; to have the first and second floors identical. did this issue ever cross your mind when constructing a WW building ???

it doesn't look bad though. how do you feel about the symmetry you had here ???

actually, i put the second floor door on the side of the building to avoid this issue altogether :-D

--------------------------------------------------

i do agree, i think the official 1x8x2 fences would work better... in brown would be prefect, but i know that piece is rather rare, and hard to come by in quantity.

im not really a big fan of the studless look, but that may just be preference... why did you choose to go this route with the fence ??? just curious.

- BM

Nice story! Those brothers seem like some mean guys, ready to shoot anyone who stands in their way.

But their ranch is beautiful! It doesn't feel like a first attempt.

All it needs are some cows (why did Lego never make these?).

(The duplicate post has been deleted as you requested).

Edited by bonaparte

Very nice building, with good looking colour-combinations!

I like that fence the way it is now, it looks just as robust as a real fence ought to look, I would leave it just as it is. Nice touch with the lantern.

My only point of criticism involves the windmill, I believe it is taken directly from set 6444 Outback Airstrip (what a great set it was!), it just doesn't seem to do your MOC justice. Perhaps with some modifications, like replacing this part by this one.

Otherwise: Great!

:-)

Very nice, in a neat and classic size and color scheme, and that fence is very distinct and

interesting.... Maybe some white tiles on the balcony balustrade would support that smooth

style if you decide to keep it that way. And the stable is indeed very nice, perhaps you could

add a not so small barn on an extra baseplate?

Rancheros on! *y*

Looks great. Makes me pine for new Wild West sets. My only complaint is the ranch house looks too colorful. You've got brown, white, red and green in there and personally, any more than three colors (black and grey don't count as colors) makes me feel a bit overloaded.

Steve

I don't have any problems with the second floor looking like the first, I mean it happens ;-) I love the color blocking you've done with this MOC, though I'm a little sad that it isn't a friendly place :-D

I'm not sure about redoing the fences with official lego pieces, why not instead just SNOT one? It would look more realistic than those blocky fences, which are way too thick for their own good. Just have a couple of 1x6 or 1x8 tiles going from one post to another? I bet it would look great! Also, maybe add some barbed wire around the tops of fences? I believe either it was invented for ranches and then adopted for war trenches, or the other way around...either way it has some roots in farms :-P

It's a really nice MOC, it's so small but looks so good! I'm sure since you like sticking to traditional building style you wouldn't do it, but maybe consider tiling that water? It looks weird with studs. I really love this, and I can't wait to see that second version you were talking about!

I'm not sure about redoing the fences with official lego pieces, why not instead just SNOT one? It would look more realistic than those blocky fences, which are way too thick for their own good.
i think the official LEGO fence is by far less block than using any SNOT technique... but maybe im missing what you are suggesting SW4J *wacko*

this piece would look great, 1x8x2 fence.

--------------------------------------------------

also, this is something that doesn't get talked about, but is actually very important for me, in my MOCing... so it might be to you B; placement of the building on its plate. i usually try to have quite a bit of extra space around the actual structure. when something is built right to the edge, it gives me an uncomfortable feeling. i think this would be presented better with extra plate beyond the fence.

- BrickMiner

i knew it would almost have to be symmetrical with the bottom floor. and because of that, i never tried the configuration, fearing that it might look too repetitive; to have the first and second floors identical. did this issue ever cross your mind when constructing a WW building ???

it doesn't look bad though. how do you feel about the symmetry you had here ???

actually, i put the second floor door on the side of the building to avoid this issue altogether :-D

I've built a lot of WW buildings using stairs on the side. I wasn't looking for this look for a ranch house, though; choosing to instead place the door in the front. This, I feel, gives the building more of a "house feel". I have no issue with the symmetry.

i do agree, i think the official 1x8x2 fences would work better... in brown would be prefect, but i know that piece is rather rare, and hard to come by in quantity.

why did you choose to go this route with the fence ??? just curious.

Good question. I tried a few different techniques. My 1st choice would have ben to use long brown 1x XX plates rather then bricks, but I didn't have enough. I tried the fence without the tiles, and I thought it looked better without. I don't really like the overall look of the fence thinking it is too bulky. I only have a few of the official WW fence pieces.

All it needs are some cows (why did Lego never make these?).

Agree. A Lego farm theme would be great and cows could be one of the new animals.

My only point of criticism involves the windmill, I believe it is taken directly from set 6444 Outback Airstrip (what a great set it was!), it just doesn't seem to do your MOC justice. Perhaps with some modifications, like replacing this part by this one.

Interesting thought. I have no issue with the windmill and actually thing it looks pretty good. I think I may even have the yellow piece that you are suggesting. - burried in a box in the garage somewhere...

Maybe some white tiles on the balcony balustrade would support that smooth

style if you decide to keep it that way. And the stable is indeed very nice, perhaps you could

add a not so small barn on an extra baseplate?

I may try the tiles to see what they look like. Tiles are not really used in the official WW theme, so I may get away from them all together. I would like a barn instead of the single stable. I may rebuild and do this.

My only complaint is the ranch house looks too colorful. You've got brown, white, red and green in there and personally, any more than three colors (black and grey don't count as colors) makes me feel a bit overloaded.

Not sure I agree with you. The only additional color is the green for the shutters. My own complaint may be the amount of white used though. It gives the house a bit of a gingerbread look to it.

I'm not sure about redoing the fences with official lego pieces, why not instead just SNOT one? It would look more realistic than those blocky fences, which are way too thick for their own good. Just have a couple of 1x6 or 1x8 tiles going from one post to another? I bet it would look great! Also, maybe add some barbed wire around the tops of fences? I believe either it was invented for ranches and then adopted for war trenches, or the other way around...either way it has some roots in farms :-P

If I had a large # of 1x1 hollow-holed pieces to attach the tiles to, I would, but have a rather limited quantity of these though (if that's what you mean). That I would think would look good and maybe be my 2nd choice next to traditional WW fence pieces. I used the technique in my recent O.K. Corral MOC (although it's hard to see the fence pieces). okcorral6.jpg

i think the official LEGO fence is by far less block than using any SNOT technique... but maybe im missing what you are suggesting SW4J *wacko*

I agree. That's a nice piece. I have a few but not enough (plus ones I have are black). Some are in a box out in my garage. I planned to use, but didn't want to go digging.

also, this is something that doesn't get talked about, but is actually very important for me, in my MOCing... so it might be to you B; placement of the building on its plate. i usually try to have quite a bit of extra space around the actual structure. when something is built right to the edge, it gives me an uncomfortable feeling. i think this would be presented better with extra plate beyond the fence.

Lego buildings are usually right on the edge (in terms of the rear wall/pieces). I see what you mean about the fence though. That might be a good idea.

Thank you all for the positive feedback and the suggestions. I always ask myself if I would buy a MOC if it were an official set. I have mixed feelings about this. I don't think it's one of my better designed MOCs, but it is a first attempt. Before destroying to rebuild, I thought I would share it for your comments.

This is probably one of my early inspiration sets from my childhood:

372.jpg

Looking at it now, I suppose my ranch doesn't look that bad.

Nice!! *y*

Love the little windmill and the whole ranch feel of it

Hehe I see they let Flatfoot out on paroll :-D

Nice Job

Piranha

Brickster hit the nail on the head! It's about the same thickness and size as the official piece, but very customizable. You can make some slats on angles to give it the weathered look, have some missing, etc.

Very nice WW ranch, The Brickster!

The plates with the writ on them give the ranch something splendorous.

The windmill is really nice. But I would have put it on an extra plate to array it not so near to the ranch building. (The ranch owners couldn't sleep at night when the windmill next to their house makes constantly a big noice.)

Does the ranch have any inside life, I mean some rooms with configuration?

Another great MOC from The Brickster!! I love the windmill, and the ranch itself looks great. The fence is awesome, really makes it look that much better, and the stable is a nice touch too, if not a little to small. :-/ But overall a great job! *y* *y*

The windmill is really nice. But I would have put it on an extra plate to array it not so near to the ranch building. (The ranch owners couldn't sleep at night when the windmill next to their house makes constantly a big noice.)

Minor change if needed. I was trying to set it back so one would see it in the photographs.

Does the ranch have any inside life, I mean some rooms with configuration?

Not yet. Haven't gotten that far yet.

and the stable is a nice touch too, if not a little to small. :-/ But overall a great job! *y* *y*

I wanted a larger stable and/or barn. This will be completely redone if I redesign.

On a side note Iamded, your signature image looks a little familiar.

Lego buildings are usually right on the edge (in terms of the rear wall/pieces). I see what you mean about the fence though. That might be a good idea.
ya, the rear is always right to the edge... i always looks at the official WW sets as being 3 sided... the back is kinda the exception, and is almost like its sliced off. so your right, i was specifically referring to the fence (of the other three sides) in this case.

------------------------------------------------

Brickster hit the nail on the head! It's about the same thickness and size as the official piece, but very customizable. You can make some slats on angles to give it the weathered look, have some missing, etc.
oh, ok... i was just confused because i read the description "less blocky". to me, the official fence (while being less customizable) is less blocky, because the only part of it that is as thick as brick is the bottom where it connects to the studs of the baseplate. where as the other technique actually includes bricks, and which means the vertical wood pieces are thicker, because they are a brick thick all the way up.

thats all :-/

B, when you get this to a point you are happy with, are you going to add a digital background ???

- BrickMiner

EDIT:

I may try the tiles to see what they look like. Tiles are not really used in the official WW theme, so I may get away from them all together.
i forgot to respond to this...

i didn't know you where also trying to blend your MOCs with the official LEGO look, B. this comment leads me to believe so.

it is interesting that the WW fans like this seamless blend (i know there are a few of us now, Ty ;-) ), while generally, castle and town fans like big extravagant, non-LEGO SYSTEM like buildings.

interesting.

Edited by Brick Miner

oh, ok... i was just confused because i read the description "less blocky". to me, the official fence (while being less customizable) is less blocky, because the only part of it that is as thick as brick is the bottom where it connects to the studs of the baseplate. where as the other technique actually includes bricks, and which means the vertical wood pieces are thicker, because they are a brick thick all the way up.

Ah, I see where I confused you...I must have worded it poorly. I meant less blocky when compared to what's there in his current MOC, not compared to the one-piece mold, which is slightly smaller.

Another great classic *y*

Very nice moc.

I also want cows from lego.

I didn't notice the symetry at all until I read Brickminer's post. Now I really notice it >_<

Overall i greeeet MOC, but for it to be a true ranch, as you say you want a barn, and I think just more baseplates with fence around them to act as 'fields' to keep the cows/horses in.

Atm it feels too cramped for a ranch, kinda like its just the front of a ranch, with the house imposing and the yard in front.

Hmm that sounds really critical, but I really like it!

Edited by Minish Man

B, when you get this to a point you are happy with, are you going to add a digital background ???

I didin't rebuild yet, but have retaken a shot and added a digital background. I'm just not real happy with it.

it is interesting that the WW fans like this seamless blend (i know there are a few of us now, Ty ;-) ), while generally, castle and town fans like big extravagant, non-LEGO SYSTEM like buildings.

I'm a castle fan too and like to also mimic classic castle sets in Lego. I would imagine that there are many AFOL that like MOCs to look like official themes.

I would imagine that there are many AFOL that like MOCs to look like official themes.
im sure there are... personally, this is the type of construction style i love. however, browsing BrickShelf for "castle", most are thousand-piece creations. and with the CafeCorner, i think town is headed, or has been, in the same direction. i just want the SYSTEM style of MOCing to be recognized by the AFOL community. though, i think we are in the minority... by a long shot.

there is a similar dicussion going on here.

maybe this is one reason i like the WW theme. i don't see as many of these monster constructions.

and i am noticing this trend with other WW fans. interesting. i like it.

- BM

I enjoyed the days when models weren't $100 plus and 1,000 pieces. I have been noticing that Lego sets have gotten much bigger over the past few years. It's nice to be able to sit down and build a set in 1/2 hour that you're pleased with. It's what I despise most about the large sets. I don't like to have to spend three -to four hours to build something that I may not keep up very long.

I've also noticed that while sets are larger, they're not more detailed (like the new Castle). Smaller classic castle sets 1/2 the price were mre detailed and intricate; but that's another discussion.

If I redo the ranch, it will have fewer pieces and be smaller.

I prefer the old detailed sets. Building it is most the fun. Then there's the small amount of play value, and then the display purposes. Building it is my favourite part. :-P

I prefer the old detailed sets. Building it is most the fun. Then there's the small amount of play value, and then the display purposes. Building it is my favourite part. :-P

I enjoy the build, but it's the displaying in a scene with minifigs later that I really enjoy. The story telling is fun for me as well.

Nice job on the ranch. (I don't think Billy should be a bad guy.) You said this was supposed to be a barn? X-O

A lot of imagination had to be put into this.

I think the scene is to crowded though. Maybe you could change the windmill to the design above the door on CafeCorner. That looks windmillish. *wacko*

Great story to go with your moc.

Edited by zouave