El Bucanero

PICTORIAL REVIEW: Renegade Runner

How do you rate this set?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5

• 5 - Brilliant!
    • 1 - Horrible

poster_shot2.jpg

The Renegade Runner, also called the RR was released in 1993 together with the bigger pirate ship the Skull's Eye Schooner. The ship has a crew of four and consists of 171 pieces. It has no center sections. The ship is the second ship of the Pirates line using the 12 studs wide hull pieces.

Some pictures of the whole ship.

rr_portside.jpg

rr_niceview.jpg

And the stern.

rr_backside.jpg

I was quite disappointed there was no cabin, but it was probably impossible for LEGO to make a simple cabin design on a little ship like this.

The front..

rr_bow.jpg

A view from above...

rr_top.jpg

And the cute Figurehead!

rr_figurehead.jpg

I really like this one. Simple and yet so effective.

Here's a close up of the single cannon.

rr_cannon.jpg

In case you've never seen the thin Prefab hull sections, I give you a picture of the bottom!

rr_bottom.jpg

Here is the crew of the ship. It's good they didn't choose the captain Roger fig this time.

rr_crew.jpg

And the accessories. Including the cool compass!

rr_accesoiries.jpg

And here you can find a parts inventory from Peeron.

The brickshelf folder where you can find the pics of this review.

I give this ship a 3 out of 5. I think LEGO could have put more effort in building this ship.Some things I don't like are the blue bits in the colour scheme, the lack of an anchor, the lack of a steering wheel and I think the stern section could also use some work. Generally, not the best ship LEGO made, but also certainly not the worst one.

I'm happy to own this little boat, and if you are really a serious Pirate LEGO collector, you should really try to get one of this!

Enjoy!

Now its your turn to write reviews or leave your comments and opinions!!!

So you gave it a three, Mr. Reviewer.... hmmm.

I really like this little ship for some reason.

Being one of the smaller crafts in the pirateship-collection I was surprised by the details it came with: a compass, two sails and more weapons than minifigures.

The sail of my copy (from Bricklink) has been ironed a tad bit too long by the former owner leaving a circular black/brown spot on the middle of the canvas. (It looks like your front sail, Mr. Tiber, could use some ironing, just not too long....)

A while ago I made some decks inside the hull of this little ship and a helm, but those modifications are long gone now and the ship stands in it's original pride somewhere in my parents house.

I like these reviews.

I really do think that this is a brilliant little pirate ship. It has great sails, two jolly roger flags in both sizes, an excellent assortment of weaponry, along with four figs and the hull itself.

The two negative points are the lack of an anchor and blue pieces. (Is it necessary for a ship of this size to have a wheel?)

4 out o' 5 for me.

A very nice review with good pictures, thanks. *y*

It

The Renegade Runner Pictorial Review has set sail! I shall frontpage this on Classic-Pirates.com and later in the week create a special information page with more details about the Renegade Runner than anyone can handle!

Why did that happen?

Anyway, I gave it a 4. The only thing this ship is really missing is the helm. It would've only taken about 3-4 more bricks to add it, nothing Lego couldn't have handled. Apart from that it has anything a medium-sized set like this one should have (I don't think such a small boat would need an anchor). And I actually like the blue pieces many of you are complaining about - it's a nice change from typical black. And one of the biggest virtues of this set was that it was perfect for those who wanted a pirate ship but didn't have enough money to buy one of the big ones - it was this set that made it possible for them.

I think it's a nice little ship. definitely should have had a small cabin. And a steering wheel. I love the single cannon idea though, not every ship needs a thousand cannons.

-TD

The votes in the poll have been reset to 0... :-||
Why did that happen?

Apparently this happens sometimes on these boards when the first post is edited.

There seems to be no better explanation.

Anyway, I give his ship 3/5.

It was my first pirate ship ever.

I think the skull and bones on the large sail is a bit too much.

I've reproduced that sail in paper and removed that skull and bones.

Also, I'm not so happy about the rotating canon concept.

And it should have some kind of wheel.

But with some minor changes this becomes an excellent ship.

This is a pretty cool little ship, they can't always be big so I gave it a 4/5.

I say a three.It looks as if Lego took spare pieces, slapped something toghether, and called it a set.

But I does have a good side.It has 4 figs,a revolving cannon,and an aresenall of weapons.

I think my view of this ship is coloured by the fact that it was my first...

Ah.. the nostalgia... *sweet*

Not something I think I'd buy now... but it's still kinda neat and cute.

After having drooled over all the ships in the catalog for a long time, this is the one I was finally given for Christmas '93- so even though it's kinda the "budget option" it definitely holds a special place in my heart. In fact the reason I found this forum is because I was wondering where my ship went and wikied Lego Pirates. I'm even thinking of buying a black seas barracuda, i'm not sure where this wave of nostalgia came from!

After having drooled over all the ships in the catalog for a long time, this is the one I was finally given for Christmas '93- so even though it's kinda the "budget option" it definitely holds a special place in my heart. In fact the reason I found this forum is because I was wondering where my ship went and wikied Lego Pirates. I'm even thinking of buying a black seas barracuda, i'm not sure where this wave of nostalgia came from!

Seems like your coming out of your dark ages!

You won't regret it when you buy the Black Seas Barracuda.

It's one of the best Lego sets ever.

Welcome at Eurobricks!

i like it...is a small but nice ship...i think one important reason to buy that set is Captain Ironhook...the dragon figurehead is cool...and the colours are cool...

This is much better than CBC...

In any case RR can be crashed easily by Imperial Flagship or SES ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Apparently this happens sometimes on these boards when the first post is edited.

There seems to be no better explanation.

Anyway, I give his ship 3/5.

It was my first pirate ship ever.

I think the skull and bones on the large sail is a bit too much.

I've reproduced that sail in paper and removed that skull and bones.

Also, I'm not so happy about the rotating canon concept.

And it should have some kind of wheel.

But with some minor changes this becomes an excellent ship.

Would you mind sharing the sails? :)

As I have mentioned the big Skull printings on sails really really annoys me

How did you manage to remove the pattern?

I think it could at least have some steering device

since it is a sloop class it probably dosen't need an anchor

I like this ship though *wub*

The front deck/swivel/gatling guns are a nice feature

Very handy in taking out the crew of another ship

However when put alongside the CC this ship is puny and outgunned

In real life Pirates didn't have Huge Men-O-War instead small sloop's like this were faster and easier to navigate.

The dragon figurehead is one of my Fav figureheads

Henry Morgan was the only pirate to ever even use a Men-O-War

Mainly because he was a privateer

Piranha

Would you mind sharing the sails? :)

As I have mentioned the big Skull printings on sails really really annoys me

I'm currently working a library containing all the official sails.

I'll include this one as well (I just hope I still have it on my other pc, but I'm quite certain its there).

I took a scan of the original sail and basically drew a new one in Coreldraw over this scanned version.

3/5 (had a hard time choosing between a 4 or 3 :-/ )

There are some key things missing as already mentioned:

Mainly the steering mechanism and anchor.

When available in stores, this was a good cheap ship to buy to beef up one's pirate forces for a small price. *y*

I personally don't own this set, but me bro, duke, does; so i've seen it personally growing up.

The brick count and construction is pretty stingy, but it definitely is much better than the cross bone clipper *n* :-X

If there is a review of the cross bone clipper ever. there should be a negative number available in the poll (at least a 0) :-D

P

I have finally reviewed the Renegade Runner:

6268 Renegade Runner is a fine sloop and The LEGO Group

I think it's a nice smal ship, with nice lines.

It's not too expensive and can be a nice adittion to a harbour.

As u said it could use an anchor and a steering wheel.

I'd add 2 mid sections too i think, and rebuild the thing completely :'-)

Nice review mr. Tiber!

Edited by Captain green hair

She got a 3 out of 5 for me.

The big skull on the sail is a bit overkill and a slight extention in her hull would have been nice but that having been said the name of the ship is 'Renegade Runner' and it's called that for a reason... Being a sloop and designed to outrun and outmanouver her bigger imperial competitors is what this ship is all about.

I actually think lego gave a bit of thought here... A ship that was designed more for raiding, getting past barricades and escaping quickly. She's ideal for smuggling. The single rotating canon can be easy to manouver and this compensates for the lack of firepower making her a match for ships like The Sea Lion/Imperial Flag Ship who more times than not only have one cannon ready either Starboard or Port.

The other aspect we all keep forgetting is that the smaller you are, the harder you are to hit. The Dark Shark/Black Seas Barracuda is just target practise and really if you were a pirate facing what is almost always superior numbers and firepower from the imperials I know I'd want something I can get away in. :-$

Hey guys, I just had a quick question. I know the Renegade Runner does not come with a steering wheel, but is there room on deck for one? I wasn't sure, and couldn't quite tell from pictures other than the fact that it is pretty close quarters.

Hey guys, I just had a quick question. I know the Renegade Runner does not come with a steering wheel, but is there room on deck for one? I wasn't sure, and couldn't quite tell from pictures other than the fact that it is pretty close quarters.

Should be possible, cause nothing's impossible.......with lego that is :-D