Sign in to follow this  
opn2

"Printing" custom minifigure faces?

Poppunkmunky on ebay does customized torsos and heads. The only problem is that the printing comes out bumpy

I'm assuming that the best way to do this would be with either water slide decals or dry transfer decals. What do you use, and what do you advise?

Correct. Waterslide is the most common way to add your own detailing to minifig parts, but it does have it's own drawbacks......like everything.

Additionally, are you aware of any customizers that offer actual custom printing of minifigure heads to your own design?

Citizen Brick do custom print jobs. However, like many manufacturing facilities, the lower the run the high the costs. The high the run (more of the same design) the lower the costs per piece.

The only problem is that the printing comes out bumpy

That depends on the method of printing. Digital print vs solvent print vs screenprint. Each method is different, and so are the results. So your statement is not entirely accurate!

It really comes down to what you want:-

If you only want 1 or 2 of a particular head, then go decal/transfer.

If you only want display quality, then go decal/transfer.

If you want durability for HEAVY play, then go printed

If you want White detailing (eye pupils for example) then you HAVE to go printing. Yes you can use White decal paper, but I don't think it's worth the extra hassles just for a small dot!

If you plan on selling these, then go printing. Most people will not buy any custom parts unless they are printed.

Additionally, are you aware of any customizers that offer actual custom printing of minifigure heads to your own design?

Citizen Brick do custom print jobs. However, like many manufacturing facilities, the lower the run the high the costs. The high the run (more of the same design) the lower the costs per piece.

I suggest taking a look at "Steindrucker.com".

Head-Prints cost 1,50 € per Head (including Head) and quality is awesome imho.

Here is an example for Head-Prints I ordered there.

Does Steindrucker.com do printed stuff for that cheap? Heads, Body, Arms, Legs, etc?

I only know English. Can someone help me navigate here :P and do they have someone who can talk to me in English? Can I get a summary of what I can get from them? I have two projects, one personal and on semi-work related that I've been wanting to do (live in the UK right now).

Citizen Brick is an option but I kind of want low numbers which sounds really expensive.

Edited by BrickG

I can help. But I think the owner of the shop speaks english himself.

He prints on Heads, Torsos (front, back, arms), Legs (360°) and a lot of bricks and tiles.

You can even submit your own parts and get them printed for 1€ per print.

there's on the bottom left of the menu "kleine Mengen" (small quantities). From there on you should have no problem to find what you want.

He offers a temlate for corel draw that helps alot designing the gfx but he also accepts png-files and such.

I suggest you to contact him. Just write him an email with your questions. He answers usually within a day.

If you want White detailing (eye pupils for example) then you HAVE to go printing. Yes you can use White decal paper, but I don't think it's worth the extra hassles just for a small dot!

You don't have to. You can paint the pupils on the head with tiny spots of paint, then apply the waterslide decal over the top. Depending on the size of the eye around the pupil, you can cover up any dodgy paint job with the decal print. That way, the eyes are nice and punchy, and you get the benefits of the clear waterslide decal for the rest of the face.

I can help. But I think the owner of the shop speaks english himself.

He prints on Heads, Torsos (front, back, arms), Legs (360°) and a lot of bricks and tiles.

You can even submit your own parts and get them printed for 1€ per print.

there's on the bottom left of the menu "kleine Mengen" (small quantities). From there on you should have no problem to find what you want.

He offers a temlate for corel draw that helps alot designing the gfx but he also accepts png-files and such.

I suggest you to contact him. Just write him an email with your questions. He answers usually within a day.

If possible, can you (or anyone) please confirm if he speaks English? I just figure it'd be weird if I sent him an e-mail and have him not understand. Thanks!

Edited by Borador

just write him an email. if there's problems with communication you can always pm me and i will see what i can do.