Sign in to follow this  
Mrcool1804

LDD Roofline Question

I have been racking my brain trying to make this connection work digitally in LDD. I would appreciate any help at all!

[iMAGE NOT QUOTED]

You probably won't have any luck with the standard roof tiles constructing roof lines with those angles. Have you considered making the roof line with angled plates like 43722 and 43723 combined with 3937 and 3938?

You probably won't have any luck with the standard roof tiles constructing roof lines with those angles. Have you considered making the roof line with angled plates like 43722 and 43723 combined with 3937 and 3938?

I know at the two non-90deg angles there will be a slight gap. I am ok with that so long as it all attaches.

I know at the two non-90deg angles there will be a slight gap. I am ok with that so long as it all attaches.

The problem is not so much the angles, but that your layout does not sum up to a multiple of one stud, but to fractions: Either you'll get the correct angles but a gap at one point. Or you'll make the roof line attach, but the angles no longer match.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'd rather attach as close to the angles as possible. It just seems like such a simple design :sceptic:

45-degree wall and roof are challenging because they don't fit LEGO system. If you're familiar with geometry, you probably know that the angled side is same as the length times the square root of 2.

For example, if you wanted to build one section that is 5x5 with 45 degree diagonal section, the number of stud would be 5*1.414 or 7.07 studs. 7 studs diagonal could fit but you're taking offset of about half a millimeter. That is non-LEGO system and while it can work, too many 45 degree walls will end up throwing some section off center. Jumper plates can only handle 4mm offset and if you're crazy creative you could go for half plate (1.6mm) offset using a few bracket or headlight bricks but there's still limit to how much you can stress out of system and still make it fit.

These sizes are close enough to work:

5 studs = 7 studs angled

6 studs = 8.5 studs angled (use jumper)

11 studs = 15.5

12 studs = 17

17 = 24

Any other numbers would be offset bu up to a mm or more and be too difficult to work in.