Sign in to follow this  
sologuy369

Closed/concluded questions and answers

Hi there Big Cam, I can give you my word that the name of the forum is 100% original English. It was 'Customization' in the past, but then I changed it into 'Customisation' to keep it in line with a wide variety of topics in that forum which use UK English titles and generally spelling.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer this form; 'feels' more smooth to me.

Fell free to refer to it in the way you prefer, or simply use the acronym MCW :wink:

LuxorV

Hi there Big Cam, I can give you my word that the name of the forum is 100% original English. It was 'Customization' in the past, but then I changed it into 'Customisation' to keep it in line with a wide variety of topics in that forum which use UK English titles and generally spelling.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer this form; 'feels' more smooth to me.

Fell free to refer to it in the way you prefer, or simply use the acronym MCW :wink:

LuxorV

Thanks, I will likely call it MCW, I just happen to notice it, and thought it was wrong. EB is diversifying me :classic:

There are plenty of similar words like that, like defense/defence. Usually the differences are regional (like US/UK).

The thing with me is that I use both defense and defence :blush:.

Stupid Ameri... nevermind :grin: Kinda off-topic, but why do Americans spell words differently? :look:

Stupid Ameri... nevermind :grin: Kinda off-topic, but why do Americans spell words differently? :look:

Why do Canadians say toque? :tongue:

There is some logic to it, but it's mostly because Noah Webster wanted the US to be less like mother England.

Personally as an educator, I think it is so much fun to see that even on a Lego forum site, there are discussions about English. As for that, I too have a question. Why do we in America spell color, but in Europe they spell it colour, and theatre or theater? Full of mysteries that make it fun and not just a little bit difficult to try and teach kindergarten kids how to spell and read. My favorite example for them being the word /of/ the way it is pronounced, it should be spelled /uv/, but we get some strange words. :D

As for that, I too have a question. Why do we in America spell color, but in Europe they spell it colour, and theatre or theater?

As I said, it's mostly because of Noah Webster. He (quite correctly) thought that English was overcomplicated and confusing so he set about simplifying it. His changes were mostly ignored until after his death, but eventually derivatives of his work become the US standard.

Ironically, since his work is mostly only recognized recognised ( :wink: ) in the US he has actually made English more complicated and confusing.

I agree, he tried to create the 'next generation' English, but somehow failed in the commercial campain. Moreover, UK people are quite fond of their traditional systems (spelling, measurements and so on) and it will take more than a couple of centuries to blend the two spellings.

Now, if Italian were the international language... :tongue:

LuxorV

Now, if Italian were the international language... :tongue:

Again?! :cry_sad:

Again?! :cry_sad:

When has it ever been? Last I know of an 'Italian' language spread everywhere, it was Latin.

LuxorV

When has it ever been? Last I know of an 'Italian' language spread everywhere, it was Latin.

Yes, I was kind of aiming at Latin :grin:

WHy do Europeans spell words differently? It's the same question wherever you are, everyone is different, and I don't appreciate your joke, it wasn't funny.

WHy do Europeans spell words differently? It's the same question wherever you are, everyone is different, and I don't appreciate your joke, it wasn't funny.

Sorry to argue, but it's not the same. The USA changed from the norm, not vice versa.

Sorry to argue, but it's not the same. The USA changed from the norm, not vice versa.

It's still different, I never said the European way was wrong, just different to me. If the reason it is different happens to be because America changed the language, then so be it.

It's still different, I never said the European way was wrong, just different to me. If the reason it is different happens to be because America changed the language, then so be it.

You don't seem to be having fun so I'm going to drop the point.

You don't seem to be having fun so I'm going to drop the point.

Sorry, I just felt like the lone ranger on the America side, since most members are from other countries. I didn't mean to be a party pooper :sad:

Since this topic is (supposed to be) about typos in the forum names, I thought I'd point out that name of one of the forum groups (not sure what to call it) reads "Website, Frontpage and Lego General", with "LEGO" not fully capitalized. :wink:

Edited by ILikePi

Sorry, I just felt like the lone ranger on the America side, since most members are from other countries. I didn't mean to be a party pooper :sad:

Sorry to disappoint, but there are actually more US members than anywhere else. So it isn't that you're outnumbered by country, it's that you're outnumbered by the fact that no one else would notice and mention it because it is correct. :wink:

How's that for party pooping? :laugh:

Since this topic is (supposed to be) about typos in the forum names, I thought I'd point out that name of one of the forum groups (not sure what to call it) reads "Website, Frontpage and Lego General", with "LEGO" not fully capitalized. :wink:

Now that should be fixed! Thanks for noticing!

Sorry to disappoint, but there are actually more US members than anywhere else. So it isn't that you're outnumbered by country, it's that you're outnumbered by the fact that no one else would notice and mention it because it is correct. :wink:

Not that I don't like Americans, its just, the traditional forum name kind of becomes confusing...

For some reason I have a tendency to use the European versions. They just seem more right. It just looks like a typo to some Americans that don't know about the European differences. It's not like it can be misinterpreted.

I've changed all the Lego into LEGO. Thanks for pointing that out.

And now it's time to close this silly topic!

When I post it just posts a blank post?

EDIT: Wait now it works.

EDIT: OK this time it worked but some of my posts just show up as blank, this is really weird. See the Reviewers Academy for further examples.