Rufus

Contest Turtle Contest - Discussion Thread

One thing I noticed is this in the full rules:

Turtles containing or depicting military vehicles or weapons will not be eligible for the competition

This is not stated in the basic rules. Some entries already posted have what look to me to be weaponry, I may be wrong, but it seems that this point is being overlooked by some.

Just a note on the weapon rule - space and pre-civil war weapons are ok. What we don't want to see are WWI tanks or contemporary machine guns and the like. If the weapon comes in an existing LEGO set - e.g. swords, space guns, spears, old-fashioned rifles - it's ok. And as Sir Brickalot pointed out, the Exo Suit set comes with a turtle that arguably has a twin gun turret mounted on its shell. I haven't seen anything among the submissions thus far that I think is objectionable, but I will leave that to our judges in the end. Use your good judgement and keep it in the LEGO spirit.

Ok it's so cool this contest but when i read this...

" Intellectual property rights

By entering this competition you accept that the ownership and all intellectual property rights to your entryare automatically awarded and transferred to LEGO SystemA/S, Aastvej1, 7190 Billund, Denmark without any limitations.

You will not receive any payment for the transfer of your entry or any intellectual property rights, nor will you receive any payment for any products that may be sold in connection hereto.

The LEGO Group can use the entry and any intellectual rights deriving from the turtles without any limitations via all forms of media now known or hereafter devised (including on http://www. ReBrick.LEGO.com), worldwide, in perpetuity, without notice to you and without compensation."

Linked from here http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=97780

This isn't cool... use Afol Ideas without at least say thanks or put the name of the creator if Lego use the creation is not very nice.

However, I want to participate and give my contribution

Wow that's pretty drastic. Not cool.

Wow that's pretty drastic. Not cool.

This actually looks pretty standard for this kind of contest. Its not so much as license for TLG to use your creative submissions endlessly as it is protection for TLG against potential winners coming back to demand royalties and claim copyright infringement further down the road.

If this shocks you as overreaching, you might be surprised to find that most websites have similar clauses in their terms of service, especially if creative contributions are involved.

Those terms are unfortunately pretty normal for any submission style contest. It seems horrible to the individual but is there to protect the company. If a company happen to release something, that if you look sideways and squint, happens to look like someone's entry, the company can not be sued. You have to trust any company with a submission style competition isn't one that rips off designs or you choose not to enter.

I was more wondering about: All entry materials become the property of the LEGO Group and will not be acknowledged or returned.

Since: We ask that you please keep the set built in case further photography is required.

I wondered if materials meant the photograph or the model itself. And if that was just generic verbiage (since the event is only open to 18 & older yet there is also a clause that your parent or guardian needs to approve which I guessed was also default text.)

I was more wondering about: All entry materials become the property of the LEGO Group and will not be acknowledged or returned.

Since: We ask that you please keep the set built in case further photography is required.

I wondered if materials meant the photograph or the model itself. And if that was just generic verbiage (since the event is only open to 18 & older yet there is also a clause that your parent or guardian needs to approve which I guessed was also default text.)

That clause is because we want the make the most AWESOME poster possible, so if the photo of a winning turtle isn't quite up to the quality of the other winning turtles, we'd want to be able to take another photo of it, so that everyone's turtle which makes the makes the poster is equally cool.

And yes, as you guess, there is standard legal text involved...as with all LEGO contests. :-)

That is what I wondered, so does that mean the winner's turtles might have to be shipped somewhere?

This is why I think LDD and renders are perfect for competitions like this - if TLG wants to position or pose an entry differently than photographed by the creator, they can use the file and either render or build as required.

That, and I don't have all the parts in all the colours :D But creation shouldn't be limited by the plastic on hand.

That is what I wondered, so does that mean the winner's turtles might have to be shipped somewhere?

Ummm ... don't you think that TLG has enough pieces to reproduce them all? That really makes the most sense for that rule, so they can reproduce and photograph all the entries if the original image is to small / grainy / ...

I fear there won't necessarily be time for that, as our deadline for production of the poster is tight. It's more that we might ask people to take a new, better quality photo - hence asking you to keep the turtle built in case you have to re-photograph it.

Ideally, though, people will take great photos of their turtles in the first place! Even just photographing it on a white sheet of paper will help you with the requested white background.

I know it's nitpicking, but is the overhang rule really strict? Say, if a simple antenna makes an overhang of only 3 mm... is it already too much? :grin: Sure, I can drop the antenna if it's for the sake of the rule, but I can't promise the coolness won't drop with it!

I fear there won't necessarily be time for that, as our deadline for production of the poster is tight. It's more that we might ask people to take a new, better quality photo - hence asking you to keep the turtle built in case you have to re-photograph it.

Ideally, though, people will take great photos of their turtles in the first place! Even just photographing it on a white sheet of paper will help you with the requested white background.

If access to a professional photograph setup isn't an option, I'd try poster board taped in a box like shape(2 to 3 sides, which will be my method if I can get these parts on time) with a directed lamp(one of those fancy desk lamps would work under the same kind of light of lets say a dining room table).

I know it's nitpicking, but is the overhang rule really strict? Say, if a simple antenna makes an overhang of only 3 mm... is it already too much? :grin: Sure, I can drop the antenna if it's for the sake of the rule, but I can't promise the coolness won't drop with it!

submit it and let the judges decide. the rule is because we want all of the turtles to be more or less the same size for the sake of the poster.

Thought I'd have a go just for the fun of it Who needs to read the rules !!!

Edited by minifignick

MOD NOTE

To all entrants: please bear in mind that for your turtle to be considered for inclusion on the poster, the picture quality must be sufficient.

Please avoid cellphone cameras, and use a tripod or stable surface for your camera.

Ensure your lighting is good (daylight is best).

Please keep any high resolution images - better still link to them on flickr if you use that.

Julie has said that good quality digital renders may be considered. This does not include unrendered LDD files. Plain LDD entries will be disqualified.

Thank you!

Thank you both! I think that is nice and clear.

There is some good advice on taking good photos on the LEGO Ideas site under Guidelines - Project Quality Standards.

Remember, the better your pictures, the easier it is for the judges to see exactly how awesome your creation is!!

• Turtles containing or depicting military vehicles or weapons will not be eligible for the competition

does this mean a turtle can't be mechlike with rockets ? or is it applying to building specifically a gun or military vehicle (tank ect.)

• Turtles containing or depicting military vehicles or weapons will not be eligible for the competition

does this mean a turtle can't be mechlike with rockets ? or is it applying to building specifically a gun or military vehicle (tank ect.)

Just a note on the weapon rule - space and pre-civil war weapons are ok. What we don't want to see are WWI tanks or contemporary machine guns and the like. If the weapon comes in an existing LEGO set - e.g. swords, space guns, spears, old-fashioned rifles - it's ok. And as Sir Brickalot pointed out, the Exo Suit set comes with a turtle that arguably has a twin gun turret mounted on its shell. I haven't seen anything among the submissions thus far that I think is objectionable, but I will leave that to our judges in the end. Use your good judgement and keep it in the LEGO spirit.

Just wondering if the turtle has to be sci-fi themed like the one that comes with the Exo-Suit?

That is a not a requirement, but Peter Reid will be judging, so it can't hurt! If you look through the entry thread, there are loads of non-space turtles.

These are all looking superb! I do not envy the judges! Hopefully I'll be able to hop in with a few entries of my own shortly! :thumbup: