SSJ2 Dark

PF Receiver V1/V2

After purchasing my first LEGO train in 2007 (Metroliner), I'm making my first foray into Power Functions with 2x Horizon Express in a few weeks, and I'm trying to figure out beforehand what PF accessories I need. I think I can get by with one motor if I replace the Technic wheels on the other engine car, though maybe I'll just add another motor later, so that leaves battery box (I'll use rechargeable AAA), lights, remote control, and receiver.

That brings me to my question about the receiver. I see there are two versions available: V1 and V2. The main difference seems to be the voltage drop across V1 is greater than that for V2. Is it really going to make a difference (that's worth $10 more) in terms of battery life or maximum train speed?

Edited by SSJ2 Dark

I would say there's a few more; the guys in Billund who designed them ;-)

I dunno about the receiver, but it's well worth duel motoring your HE if you intend to have the full 6 car set. Mine's currently got the motors top n tail, which makes it faster (although the oldish batteries negate some of the extra possible speed). It avoids the problem of the back bogie being one stud shorter than the standard motor bogie, but is a bloody menace when it comes to s-curves (in my case, on a passing loop). I may have to resort to both motors in the same power car, although that would really restrict what it can do going backwards.

I wholeheartedly second this resource. You may want to take a look at this other page by Philippe too: http://www.philohome...s/motorcomp.htm

The difference between the receivers has to do with the maximum amount of current that can continuously flow through each channel. For the V1 receiver, that's 400mA; for the V2, it's 1500mA. For reference, a since PF train motor draws 380mA on average. So if you're running only one motor, the V1 should be perfectly sufficient. If you want to run two motors on the same channel, the extra $10 is probably worth it. Any difference between the two in battery life or maximum speed should be negligible.

oh never mind, lego tells you on their site it's V1

Edited by mapimi

Thanks for pointing out that site, quantitative statistics are always great! I think I might pick up a V2 then, since I'm on the fence about putting a second motor in my Horizon Express. Five cars might be pushing it, so I'll start with one motor and bump it up to two if needed. Is it pretty simple to add the second motor? I probably would add it to the same car; I only want the train going in one direction.

My guess is that a single V1 should work fine for two motors under a 6 car HE (I have not motorized my 3 car HE yet, but I bet many others on this forum could verify whether it would work or not). For my part, I run this 10 unit train with two motors and a V1 receiver. It is the upper limit of what the V1 is willing to do, but the cars are longer and heavier than HE.

If you already have a V1 receiver, I'd suggest starting with that (you can always swap out later). Or if you think you'll eventually have use for a V1 in a different engine in the future, it still might be worth starting there since you can repurpose the receiver if it doesn't work in this case. For the PF components typically bricklink is a little higher than what you can buy the parts from lego at (though deals can sometimes be found on bricklink).

Once the V1 stock is exhausted V2 will probably simply replace V1 (I have heard of folks receiving V2 when they ordered the loose IR receiver from S@H, but no guarantees).

Although that is another tactic you could take. Lego says that you can power the HE using parts from S@H or from the 5003540 kit. So if you go the proscribed route and it does not work to your satisfaction, if you call and ask for help, customer service might send you a V2 receiver for free.

I would say there's a few more; the guys in Billund who designed them ;-)

well.. I did consider that, but I'm still not sure that they did the same testing that Philippe did (of course they used the specs/datasheets from the components etc so they of course took a different approach.

I didn't know they had released a new receiver, but looking at Philippe's tests it certainly seems more robust. I might have to grab one, it seems like the weak link in my 7957 was the V1 receiver. never tried running 2 of the pf motors on any of my V1s, but from what ive heard it works fine, ofcourse you could alwase use the V2, as a little overkill wouldn't be a bad thing.

I think I might pick up a V2 then, since I'm on the fence about putting a second motor in my Horizon Express. Five cars might be pushing it, so I'll start with one motor and bump it up to two if needed. Is it pretty simple to add the second motor? I probably would add it to the same car; I only want the train going in one direction.

I run a 5 car (2 engine, 3 pax) HE set on just one motor, and without even replacing the technic bogie on the 'dummy' power car it can still run quicker than feels safe on my layout. I'd think you'd only need two motors if you have a lot of continuous curves (i.e. few straights in which to pick up speed) or any inclines. That said $10 is small change to give you the option to add more cars or more speed!

Adding the second motor to a single car takes some effort as, in addition to to cramming all the cable and connectors in you also need to find someway to fit in a polarity switch (or cut and reverse the connectors on the motor [see the train tech index]) as your motors will be facing opposite directions.

You should be able to run two HE sets with one train motor. I used the train motor from my HE to power my Amtrak AEM7-AC. It can pull 4 HE cars, 1 HE dummy engine and 2 Amtrak cars around a curve. I guess it depends on how fast you want to go. :classic: The IR receiver is V1.

On 7/13/2014 at 5:44 AM, JopieK said:

well.. I did consider that, but I'm still not sure that they did the same testing that Philippe did (of course they used the specs/datasheets from the components etc so they of course took a different approach.

You would think that a Company that makes  such a high quality product would put a little more effort into the R.C. platform. I know that  ir works good for trains but isn't it time to update that technology? It pains me to say these things as logo has been in my life for 40 years now . Can someone enlighten me as to why Lego continues to employ this technology? 

10 minutes ago, Bobo08 said:

You would think that a Company that makes  such a high quality product would put a little more effort into the R.C. platform. I know that  ir works good for trains but isn't it time to update that technology? It pains me to say these things as logo has been in my life for 40 years now . Can someone enlighten me as to why Lego continues to employ this technology? 

Cheaper than designing new ones.  If anything when Technics gets a refresh, the trains will to.  We have not seen a Creator Expert train in years, so an update for trains is very doubtful.  I'd look at PFx, Sbrick or the other replacements.

Edited by pirzyk
fix typo

For dual-motor horizon express or metroliner V1 receiver will work fine.

If you are thinking about bigger (8w) and heavier trains, go for V2. For example my Bombardier Talent train was equipped first with V1 but on curves the current output of V1 receiver was simply not enough to keep the speed of train or starting the train on the curve. Since I changed receivers in my PF-based trains to V2 I have no traction problems.

All this is entirely true for the train motors (all varieties), but if you intend to use technic motors for powering sour model (M, L, XL), I'd recommend to first read through this topic in the technic forum. They had issues with the V2 version and the L motor of some productions years.

Best
Thorsten