Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] PF Backhoe by Jurgen Krooshoop

This is also on my to-build list, I already have all the parts. By the way, what was the error in the instructions? I hope to avoid it myself ;-)

In the image below, there should be a 12 tooth double bevel gear where you see the arrow. Without it, one of the functions never gets connected to the motor.

640x494.jpg

Very nice review Blakbird, thanks. Is it possible to make a picture from the backhoe next to e recent flagship? I would like to see the size and i dont have the other backhoes

Here it is next to the Unimog:

640x426.jpg

Looks a challenging build but worth it. It's a nice scale and must provide endless hours of fun. How powerfull are the buckets? Can you scoop up soil etc?

H

In the image below, there should be a 12 tooth double bevel gear where you see the arrow. Without it, one of the functions never gets connected to the motor.

Ah, Jurgen actually warned me about this error when he sent me the instructions. I guess he forgot to tell you :laugh:

Looks a challenging build but worth it. It's a nice scale and must provide endless hours of fun. How powerfull are the buckets? Can you scoop up soil etc?

There are only M motors for lifting so the power is limited but adequate. I would never put soil in my lego model, but I'm sure it could lift various light weight payload.

Ah, Jurgen actually warned me about this error when he sent me the instructions. I guess he forgot to tell you :laugh:

Or he did tell me and I forgot. It was years ago, after all.

Here it is next to the Unimog:

Thank you very much sir! You're right it's not the same scale, but it's close and I think they look good together!

Edited by IJsmuts

Can i use the remote control from the Ulimate 42009?

or is the train remote controll necessary?

Can i use the remote control from the Ulimate 42009?

or is the train remote controll necessary?

I started by using the remote from the orange Zorex, but I found that the train remote is really necessary. The backhoe is so fast that you need to be able to start and stop it gradually. Perhaps you could change the gear ratio to make it slower if you wanted to use the normal remote, but the gear path is very direct so there is not much opportunity for change.

I think the train remote makes it drive much more realistic, because you need to move slow when you are aproaching a dump truck for instance, or backing up. And the play value is great, it's quite capable loading bricks or beans.

Thanks for the great review, Blakbird.

Indeed, raising the rear excavator is the weakest point of the model. When it was designed, there was no sign of an L-motor yet, and an xL would never fit. So the only choice was to use an M-motor with lots of gear reduction.

However, when I rebuilt the model for Lego Fan Welt 2012, I replaced the 2 M-motors which go into the gearbox with 2 L-motors, it was pretty easy. The gearing was adapted to the new speed and torque. However, it didn't increase the performance much...

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

Hello Jurgen,

I bought the instructions foe this wonderful model from you.

Can it be build and used with SBricks?

And can you make a partial rebuild instruction for the replacement with L-motors you mentioned above?

P.s. Sorry for bumping this topic, but started today building the excavator arm with the parts I do have, so that is why I am asking it now.

Since it was bumped once and no response Ill bump it again. Jurgen, with the xerion tires coming and some other useful parts (motors, s bricks, 13x23 bucket, 6L yellow liftarms) that now exist would you consider making a V3 of this backhoe that everyone loves? I myself haven't collected for it yet which has been very difficult considering Eric got many of the parts for his directly from me. This is one of a few old MOC's that jump out at me as greatly benefiting from an Sbrick too.

Also, everyone should keep in mind that without the PP wheels and removing the 4 PF IR controllers (train included) and 4 PF receivers the cost for this model do go down quite a bit. The xerion tires and the larger bucket are bound to be cheap for a while.

So yeah, I'd love to build this and I would love even more if some of the problem areas were perfected.

Nope, I failed you there. I was thinking that it needed one sbrick but sure enough it needs two! I think the cost is pretty much the same.

Sorry!

You have to realize you need to add extension wires to the SBrick... On the other hand, the control is so much better and so much more fun. I would definitely choose SBrick...

On 14. 3. 2016 at 6:07 AM, nychase said:

Since it was bumped once and no response Ill bump it again. Jurgen, with the xerion tires coming and some other useful parts (motors, s bricks, 13x23 bucket, 6L yellow liftarms) that now exist would you consider making a V3 of this backhoe that everyone loves? I myself haven't collected for it yet which has been very difficult considering Eric got many of the parts for his directly from me. This is one of a few old MOC's that jump out at me as greatly benefiting from an Sbrick too.

Also, everyone should keep in mind that without the PP wheels and removing the 4 PF IR controllers (train included) and 4 PF receivers the cost for this model do go down quite a bit. The xerion tires and the larger bucket are bound to be cheap for a while.

So yeah, I'd love to build this and I would love even more if some of the problem areas were perfected.

Backhoe look's rather good with Xerion tires ...

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

I hope we'll get new tread for front wheels also ...

1 hour ago, AndroTech said:

I hope we'll get new tread for front wheels also ...

I did the same thing to mine!  I agree that matching front tires would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, AndroTech said:

Did You use disks 15038 for Xerion tires? I think, yes. :)

35 minutes ago, ifilin said:

Did You use disks 15038 for Xerion tires? I think, yes. :)

You mean rims .... yes they are 15038 rims from Volvo Loader ...

Edited by AndroTech

16 minutes ago, AndroTech said:

You mean rims .... yes they are 15038 rims from Volvo Loader ...

Thank You. Last month I've built Backhoe 8455 and think about this cool MOC. :)

I am currently working on this beautiful Model, will put the 42030 rims on the back with the Xerion tires and I think yellow dishes like on the Xerion. Are there dishes around that would fit the front rims nicely? I will go looking in scale model land for front tires, hate the balloon things on these Lego machines. Still hoping for a bright idea from TLG.

And sorry if this is seen as bumping, but starting a new topic for something already discussed here seems to me like overkill.

Edited by Dafgek81

Hello I bought instructions at a price of 10 € on his site but I still have no news from jurgen help me !

Auxis

30 minutes ago, Auxis7021 said:

Hello I bought instructions at a price of 10 € on his site but I still have no news from jurgen help me !

Auxis

Hi there! Maybe it'll be more useful to contact Jurgen himself via email?