AndyRiley8

[WIP] Building Anio's At-At

This is my first post about one of my MOCs, so please be gentle with me :classic:

I am in the process of building a Battle of Hoth scene complete with giant Echo Base. Obviously no Hoth battle is complete without some At-Ats. I picked up a TLG 8129 and was't very impressed with it's size or how it looks really. I trawled the web for inspiration and discovered Cavegod's UCS At-At. Not having the money, time, patience or skill to copy this beast, I stumbled across Anio's At-At and bought the instructions from him.

After several Bricklink purchases i was ready to start building. As my build progressed I knew I would want to make some changes to Anio's design, particularly with the size and interior of the head. I then discovered this thread http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=68782 where there is a lot of discussion about whether or not Anio's At-At is considered a 'UCS' At-At. In my opinion I see that my finished At-At will sit somewhere between TLG's and Cavegods in terms of scale, detail and representation of the actual film model.

I will leave you to decide if you are of the same opinion :wink:

I have made a few changes / adaptations to the original design.

The key changes i have made so far are:

- Changed the foot design - I didn't like the original mix of dark and light grey or the addition of the small levers by the 'toes'

- Strengthened the neck - the head of the original just hangs on a Technic bar. This wouldn't support the extra size and weight in the head I wanted to add.

- Head - completely updated. I changed the length and width so I could get more room inside. I have also changed the 'eyes' as I wanted to be able to see in to the At-At from outside. I know this doesn't look great, and the proportions are out compared to the movie original, its the best I could do though :grin:

- Weapons - I have ignored the original weapon design underneath the head and on each side. I made mine look as much like the original as I could with the using the scale and pieces available to me

- Interior - I didn't like the original seating arrangement that Anio built as it only held a handful of Snow Troopers. I couldn't get 40 seats in there, I am happy with what i managed to squeeze in. I have also added a winch arm to allow the troops to descend from the body

- Rear detail - I wasn't happy with the 'rear end' of the original design and was completely blown away by the detail that Cavegod has managed. Again, my effort is somewhere in the middle I think :sceptic:

Here are some WIP pics to show how I'm getting on:

My Bricklink haul

14224619360_816bdd065a_z_d.jpg

Body complete Anio's design

14224612518_dcb65da860_z_d.jpg

First leg finished - Anio's leg, updated foot

14388089756_9cd06d428d_z_d.jpg

Underbelly - Anio's design

14409915972_dafb3e6964_z_d.jpg

My updated head

14411216015_a767974503_z_d.jpg

Need to work on these gaps!

14224771427_740ca07086_z_d.jpg

Inside the head

14407846291_deb1da97da_z_d.jpg

Underside

14224570189_aa2ff3431d_z_d.jpg

Inside the body

14224618270_4d6b2cc2e1_z_d.jpg

Downstairs with steps up to top hatch

14224610898_36c4686aae_z_d.jpg

Updated rear end

14411216465_6c2d6f8b49_z_d.jpg

Edited by AndyRiley8

This is looking really nice so far, a nice blend of Anio's AT-AT with Cavegod's detailing. Your own modifications do add a new look to it as well.

There maybe a problem with your pictures, they only show up as thumbnails for me, when I click them to enlarge, they only download and open the same size as displayed.

This is looking really nice so far, a nice blend of Anio's AT-AT with Cavegod's detailing. Your own modifications do add a new look to it as well.

There maybe a problem with your pictures, they only show up as thumbnails for me, when I click them to enlarge, they only download and open the same size as displayed.

Thanks Mr Man, appreciate the comments!

Hmmm, not sure if im doing this right, i'm new to the forum so followed the newbie instructions. I have taken the link of the pic from Flickr but of the smallest size pic, do I just need to take the link of a bigger picture?

Thanks

Edited by AndyRiley8

^I believe you can use up to 640x800 in size for pictures? So you might want to use a larger picture. But you did the process correctly.

So far, so good. I like how it is turning out. I am unfamiliar with the versions you are talking about for inspiration, but I like what you are coming up with. Is there a running $ total?

Thanks Mr Man, appreciate the comments!

Hmmm, not sure if im doing this right, i'm new to the forum so followed the newbie instructions. I have taken the link of the pic from Flickr but of the smallest size pic, do I just need to take the link of a bigger picture?

Thanks

Yes, just select a larger size (anything up to 800 x 600) and you should be good. :classic:

Nice job on that walker, and we should also acknowledge Anio's effort, he designed an amazing vehicle to begin with.

Ive updated the original pics to the next size up so should be easier to see now :classic:

Couple more images:

14409917232_23bdfe3711_z_d.jpg

Working on the sides

14431389343_e0c4e6f669_z_d.jpg

Hatch with steps

14409916072_72602b2401_z_d.jpg

Slide out winch arm

14224769777_6e69a5806b_z_d.jpg

I like what you have done with the head, I do think perhaps the viewport might be slightly too large and perhaps cheese slopes might be better, but nevertheless it still looks nice. I know that building the body and having it come together is one of the most fun parts and it does look like its coming together nicely! I do like seeing ATAT's being done so I look forward to seeing this done and how it compares differently with anios version.

Hi AndyRiley8,

Your modifications are great ! But as I'm an old newbie at building lego :sweet: I start by simply following the instructions.

I'm also building Anio's AT-AT (without any modifications) but I'm encountering "serious" foot problems.

It seems that the connection between the foot and the leg is always breaking if there a slight movement... It holds on only if legs are in a particular position (the AT-AT seems to have to be in a particulare position otherwise the feet articulations break... the body starts to move forward (or backward) and at some point the connection leg-foot breaks) ).

Maybe you can help me ? Did you have the same problem ? Could you send me a picture of the inside of the leg (bottom where it connects to the foot)

I start to be really hopeless in finalizing this MOC.

Best regards,

Scoonix

Edited by Scoonix

Hi Scoonix,

thanks for the comments, and sorry to hear you are having problems.

I have only built one leg so far.... I was waiting for a bricklink order which has now arrived.

I remember thinking i dont understand how the leg/foot will support the weight of the body because they the foot doesn't stay fixed at the 'ankle' joint.

I will build the remaining legs this weekend hopefully and see how i get on. I will post an update to see if I can work something out.

Thanks, and good luck!

No problem on my AT-AT. Absolutely no problem.

And it was built for almost 2 years.

I love your updated head, even if there are a couple of gaps. I think the interior detail more than makes up for that. What did you use to strengthen the neck?

Hi AndyRiley8,

I've made some modifications (I've added a 'joint/link' between the foot and the 'ankle' to reduce flexibility of the foot (that's where it was always breaking), and I've also reduced the flexibility on the 'hips') and now it's ok.

Bottom line is that my AT-AT legs have lost some (a lot of) flexibility, but my modification is a temporary work around, I need to improve the design.

Hi Anio,

Be assured that I'm not saying that there is a problem with your model (and many thanks for the work you've done and to Frousmoul for the instructions. Next build will probably be the Venator ;) ).

I might have done something wrong while building it that's why I'd like to get the feedback from AndyRiley8.

Best regards

Edited by Scoonix

I love your updated head, even if there are a couple of gaps. I think the interior detail more than makes up for that. What did you use to strengthen the neck?

Hi montyofmusic, thanks for the comments. It was important for me to get more room inside the head, which meant more weight. I strengthened the neck by sliding 2 Technic 1x16 pieces through the grey wheel spoke. I then attached each end of the Technic piece securely, one to the main body and the other to the head. If you look closely at a couple of the pics, you can just about see the Technic pieces as I only had white available at the time and the Technic end piece (don't know the correct term) is red :classic:

Scoonix, I will have a go with the other legs this weekend and let you know how I get on. I did wonder if I had done something wrong myself and the leg I made, doesn't look like it will support the weight of the At-At.

Anio, is there something I should be looking out for to make sure it's stable?

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

If you have any problem I can send you the modifications I made (but once again, I might have made an error while building it).

Those are temporary as I intend to make some "nicer" (if I can) modifications in order to make this build more solid (foot, toes, ...) because I move my LEGO quite often.

Here is an image of my build (hoping the link will work):

http://www.hostingpi...46756photo6.jpg

EDIT: link to image should work, although there was some ice creame on my lense ;)

Best regards,

scoonix

Edited by Scoonix

Hi Andy,

If you have any problem I can send you the modifications I made (but once again, I might have made an error while building it).

Those are temporary as I intend to make some "nicer" (if I can) modifications in order to make this build more solid (foot, toes, ...) as I move my LEGO quite often.

Here is an image of my build (hoping the link will work):

<a%20href=

Hey scoonix, unfortunately the link doesn't work, as in you click on it and it opens the page. I've tried copy pasting the link, but I get an error message. What you need to do is place your cursor where you want the link, then hit a little button at the top of the editor that looks like a little link and a plus. Then, copy paste your link in the box and your good to go!

Edited by GuyDudeMan27

Anio, is there something I should be looking out for to make sure it's stable?

Hard to say. There is no problem on mine.

Check if you have no micro-crack on your parts.

It seems you also added a lot of weight on your model. I think my design is pretty strong (I hate weak MOCs :p ). However, I can not guarantee that my design is not impacted by additionnal weight.

Hard to say. There is no problem on mine.

Check if you have no micro-crack on your parts.

It seems you also added a lot of weight on your model. I think my design is pretty strong (I hate weak MOCs :p ). However, I can not guarantee that my design is not impacted by additionnal weight.

I don't have any mocro-cracks anywhere Anio, I have checked and re-checked!

I finally built the other three legs and got them on my At-At. I took the sides and roof off the head, and all the sides off the body. My At-At stood up fine...... until 30 seconds later all 4 'ankle' joints exploded and the legs completely opened up, meaning the body crashed to the ground :look:

The problem is that the whole of the leg is connected to the foot by 1 small Technic connector pin and nothing else. It just isn't strong enough in my opinion. I appreciate you say your version is strong Anio, mine isn't though so i will have to look at a different way of connecting the leg to the foot.

Scoonix, how did you solve this problem?

Hi AndyRiley8,

I'll send you (or post as I don't know yet how to send a mp) the modifications asap.

Could you send me your email address ? (mine is rpalese@citycable.ch)

NB:

the modifications I've made are just workaround and the AT-AT is still "fragile" (meaning that you still have to put legs is a particular position in order to keep balance) but at least it is standing up (few weeks now).

Best regards,

rudi

I don't have any mocro-cracks anywhere Anio, I have checked and re-checked!

I finally built the other three legs and got them on my At-At. I took the sides and roof off the head, and all the sides off the body. My At-At stood up fine...... until 30 seconds later all 4 'ankle' joints exploded and the legs completely opened up, meaning the body crashed to the ground :look:

The problem is that the whole of the leg is connected to the foot by 1 small Technic connector pin and nothing else. It just isn't strong enough in my opinion. I appreciate you say your version is strong Anio, mine isn't though so i will have to look at a different way of connecting the leg to the foot.

Scoonix, how did you solve this problem?

Some pics would be appreciated.

Some pics of what parts break, and how you make it stand on its legs.

Hi. I built Anio's AT-AT about a year and a half ago with no modifications. I have had it displayed in a Hoth scene since then and it is still standing. I do understand the concern with the leg design.

Let me first say that I am completely satisfied with Anio's model and he is a master builder with many excellent models to offer; I would not hesitate to purchase instructions from him again. The actual building instructions are top-notch, near official LEGO quality in my opinion (Frousmoul did a fine job).

Now, the legs can be positioned in various stances whereby the model looks either like it is walking with the knee joints bent, or standing stationary with the knees straight. The trick is findind the right combination of legs straight/bent to balance the model properly. This is NOT a sturdy posable model like the official Lego models that have come out, but one that is a bit on the fragile side in terms of balancing right. Whenever I need to clean the dust from my scene I know that moving the beast and re-positioning it can be tricky. BUT, the model does work and looks leaps and bounds better than any official LEGO model that has been released to date. Also, it is relatively affordable to build via Bricklink. I am happy with the model but it does have some issues with the legs being flimsy or wobbly but once it has its centre of gravity worked out it will stand fine for long periods of time. It would not be a good model for younger users to play with, hence the UCS display moniker.

image2.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by tremolo81

Hi tremolo81,

Thanks for your comment. Again I'm not complaining about Anio's work, I'm really happy to have built this AT-AT and will start the Venator or Slave I pretty soon.

I find Anio's buildings awesome and instructions done by Frousmoul really professional.

I (like AndyRiley8) encountered problems and we are just trying to find a solution to correct them, without blaming anyone.

Andy (sorry I use a shortname ;) ), I've made a pdf to explain you the modifications I've made (and explained why I've made them so that maybe you'll find a nicer way to make them).

Please send me your email address so that I can send it to you (I made some screenshots of the original instructions and I'm not sure if it's ok to post them here so I prefer to send them directly to you).

Please let me know if it worked for you.

NB: You'll still have to "play" with the positions of the legs to find the best positions to support the weight.

Kind regards,

Scoonix

Mine is not built for some time now.

But if I remember correctly, the model is very stable when the position of the legs are "crossed". Like on that pic :

01.JPG

As far as I can remember, I could also "shake" the model a bit, and there was no problem. The model stands on its legs.