On 1/27/2023 at 10:17 PM, Zerobricks said:

Decided to make my first alternate of the 42132 set, a propeller plane with a working fake engine. If all goes well, I might come up with even more alternates from this set, they are really fun to make!

Here's a quick video presentation and a building tutorial:

Lego Digital Designer file link: 

https://bricksafe.com/files/Zblj/42132-alternate-sets/42132-alternate-1---propeller-plane/42132 Alternate 1 - Propeller Plane.mp4.lxf

Sorry, this question is a bit out of context: Do you have a second rebrickable account? Cause i noticed that your design can be found on the page of NARP from Chile (and only there)? Nice plane, by the way!

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-137750/NARP/propeller-plane/#details

7 hours ago, pow said:

Sorry, this question is a bit out of context: Do you have a second rebrickable account? Cause i noticed that your design can be found on the page of NARP from Chile (and only there)? Nice plane, by the way!

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-137750/NARP/propeller-plane/#details

Thank you for the heads-up! And no, that is not my account, so it's obviously stolen without any credit...

19 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

640x480.jpg

Don't the motors, as they are lined up on one side, affect stability? So the car tends to role over to the side of the motors?

19 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

640x480.jpg

The packaging of the buggy motors plus rear axle is super tight! Very nice! How is the weight distribution of the drifter?

4 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

not my account, so it's obviously stolen without any credit... 

That is awful.

Edited by pow

1 hour ago, pow said:

Don't the motors, as they are lined up on one side, affect stability? So the car tends to role over to the side of the motors?

The packaging of the buggy motors plus rear axle is super tight! Very nice! How is the weight distribution of the drifter?

That is awful.

The motors are only a stud offset and they are mostly compensated by the steering mechanism and wheel being on the other side. No issues with alignment.

Drifter was deisgned with more weight in front, I think it's around 60:40 or so.

Yeah... Many people steal without credit, I also find many youtube video ID matches, but I can't really dispute them without giving YouTube all of my private information.

Decided to make longer video than usual, going into details of each model, showing how well they performed and what I learned form this competition.

There's also a bonus, fifth model showcased which was built before the rules were finalized.

LDD fles of all the models can be downloaded here:

https://bricksafe.com/pages/Zblj/rtxp-2023

Very nice presentation of the builds! It was interesting to see all the WIP versions in LDD, some of them overlap with my own ideas for certain challenges. It was a pleasure having you here in Romania, we had lots of fun, and let's hope we meet again in the near future :)

Thank you for the praise Alex. Indeed, it was a pleasure, lots of fun and I also learned a lot. Hope to be able to visit again soon.

Thanks for the detailed video, it has bee really informative!

The performance of the small angular motor indeed seems good enough for this model size. And I love how you adjusted the model colors for the motor :) Plus it's good to see a model with a single L motor performing well enough. I love the UTV as well, looks nice and drives well. These could be great categories for future Buwizz competitions as well ;)

That tow truck is pretty cool, the transformation concept is genius, and well implemented! I like that you like to build such things just for the challenge of building it, totally understand that :)

Wanted to show off some custom designed and 3D - printed parts.

First are the 1 stud - wide gear shifter pieces + 12 tooth clutch gear with extension:

640x303.jpg

From left to right:

• A bush with the shape of an axle joiner
  • 1 stud wide transmission ring
  • 12 tooth clutch gear with a ring extension
  • Custom transmission handle

Here's how they work (minus the 12 toooth clutch gear):

640x362.jpg

The shifter actually works good, there is no way of forcing the handle off from the ring and it's quite durable for its size. The only issue I see is when using it with larger 24 tooth or 20 bevel gear, where it will touch the sides of the gears before fully engaged.

Second concept I wanted to show is using 4 new pieces to create a very narrow independent suspension:

First there is a custom hub that can accept the small CV joint axle:

640x501.jpg

I am using bar holes so that you can insert the bar with a ball joint into any of the 3 available holes:

640x458.jpg

And the rest of of components:

640x269.jpg

Again from left to right:

• 3 stud long link
  • 3 stud long suspension arm with an axle hole and 2 cross axles
  • 3 stud long double CV joint

Combining it all together, you end up with a very narrow and compact independent suspension, perfect for the small 1:16 models (one 3x5 yellow L beam was removed to show suspension more clearly):

640x484.jpg

It works really good at this scale and I'm really happy with the concept. The only thing I'd improve is to redesign the hub to have a fixed steering ball, since bar connections can be tricky/weak and the outer position will be used in most applications anyway.

So that's a few concepts I have been working on, what is your opinion? Personally I believe that some of these may actually happen in the near future, if I had to bet it would be the 12 tooth clucth gear with extension and a shorter version of suspension arm.

Edited by Zerobricks

Interesting approach with using BAR connection for ball instead of a pin to shrink it down. I didn't think about it - good concept.

How does the FDM printed ball joint hold itself though? It looks like it'll break off easily unless it's that close connection letting you have more connection area at a cost of lower angles you can achieve.

Suspension arm with an axle socket like this is really interesting idea.

You could try to figure out a hub for a steering with pivot inside the wheel. I did play around the idea here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4916659 but it's not with suspension included.

8 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Wanted to show off some custom designed and 3D - printed parts.

First are the 1 stud - wide gear shifter pieces + 12 tooth clutch gear with extension:

640x303.jpg

From left to right:

• A bush with the shape of an axle joiner
  • 1 stud wide transmission ring
  • 12 tooth clutch gear with a ring extension
  • Custom transmission handle

Here's how they work (minus the 12 toooth clutch gear):

640x362.jpg

The shifter actually works good, there is no way of forcing the handle off from the ring and it's quite durable for its size. The only issue I see is when using it with larger 24 tooth or 20 bevel gear, where it will touch the sides of the gears before fully engaged.

Second concept I wanted to show is using 4 new pieces to create a very narrow independent suspension:

First there is a custom hub that can accept the small CV joint axle:

640x501.jpg

I am using bar holes so that you can insert the bar with a ball joint into any of the 3 available holes:

640x458.jpg

And the rest of of components:

640x269.jpg

Again from left to right:

• 3 stud long link
  • 3 stud long suspension arm with an axle hole and 2 cross axles
  • 3 stud long double CV joint

Combining it all together, you end up with a very narrow and compact independent suspension, perfect for the small 1:16 models (one 3x5 yellow L beam was removed to show suspension more clearly):

640x484.jpg

It works really good at this scale and I'm really happy with the concept. The only thing I'd improve is to redesign the hub to have a fixed steering ball, since bar connections can be tricky/weak and the outer position will be used in most applications anyway.

So that's a few concepts I have been working on, what is your opinion? Personally I believe that some of these may actually happen in the near future, if I had to bet it would be the 12 tooth clucth gear with extension and a shorter version of suspension arm.

This is nice! Glad to see some innovative 3D printed parts!

I see your direction is for smaller setups, to save space. My issue with lego technic, is on the bigger more powerful side. I've tested many times, it's almost impossible to creat a shifting box for 4 or more buggy motors when I use clutch gears. All clutch gears need to have a handle to operate it, that handle would have pressure on the clutch gear, if it's too big, the beam would be melted, if it's too small, the shifting clutch would come out of the clutch gear when load is big. If I don't use a handle but use the orange wave selector, the problem would be the latter. It would be great to see this problem fixed(at least in principle).

8 hours ago, SaperPL said:

Interesting approach with using BAR connection for ball instead of a pin to shrink it down. I didn't think about it - good concept.

How does the FDM printed ball joint hold itself though? It looks like it'll break off easily unless it's that close connection letting you have more connection area at a cost of lower angles you can achieve.

Suspension arm with an axle socket like this is really interesting idea.

You could try to figure out a hub for a steering with pivot inside the wheel. I did play around the idea here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4916659 but it's not with suspension included.

Thanks fort the praise. Of course the PLA is nowhere near as smooth or reliable as properly moulded ABS, but they work really good for such small and light, manual models. No broken parts so far. Maybe I will build a full, proper car to properly test them.

7 hours ago, dustblue said:

I see your direction is for smaller setups, to save space. My issue with lego technic, is on the bigger more powerful side. I've tested many times, it's almost impossible to creat a shifting box for 4 or more buggy motors when I use clutch gears. All clutch gears need to have a handle to operate it, that handle would have pressure on the clutch gear, if it's too big, the beam would be melted, if it's too small, the shifting clutch would come out of the clutch gear when load is big. If I don't use a handle but use the orange wave selector, the problem would be the latter. It would be great to see this problem fixed(at least in principle).

That is why I use 2 gearboxes in parallel, each driven by a maximum of 2 motors in such cases. Also wave selectors can have too much slack and can be unreliable, not to mention wear down sooner due to a lower contact area, so I prefer to use handles.

Those are some cool concepts! Interesting to see that the TDR can be compacted down to one stud--I wouldn't have thought it possible to do like that!

I just made my first ever instructions in Studio for an upcoming MOC, so hopefully you can expect more of them in the future :wink:

6 hours ago, Aurorasaurus said:

nice! how did you find the experience?

A bit frustrating at first, but I will get used to it.

On 10/21/2023 at 3:37 AM, dustblue said:

As the tendency has been to create really large, and powerful RC MOCs I've wondered about what's the smallest RC possible....

Example: start with buwizz 2.0, small wheels...

Then what is the smallest 4wd possible...

Then what is smallest independent suspension...

I've tried some things but it's good to see that others may be thinking along the same track!

https://youtube.com/shorts/944MouhLfzM?si=H1IfEaz-mu3SLQob

Edited by shroomzofdoom