Sign in to follow this  
Rast

MOD 76022 X-Men vs. The Sentinel

Rather nice. I think it may be a little too long for its width though--I think your +8 stud Blackbird is more successful in this regard.

Rather nice. I think it may be a little too long for its width though--I think your +8 stud Blackbird is more successful in this regard.

Do you think i should make the width longer for its size?

I think you should add some landing gear.

I did try. there isn't anyway it can fold away into.

Cheers guys.

Do you think i should make the width longer for its size?

I did try. there isn't anyway it can fold away into.

Well there is really no way to expand the width with an improved interior space because of the structural design of the set as a whole (those big grey hulls make it near impossible to expand horizontally outward and still look good). It might help to move forward those dark blue angle plates though--stretching the wings forward will thicken the weak looking midsection.

As for landing gear, you are right it is impossible to add in interior moving wheels to this design. I just attached some to the bottom of mine, which I think is fine. I also moved the flick missiles back to the large wing/engine area, and doubled them from two to four. Although I'm more concerned with expanding the interior--I think your ramp entrance is great but it might be more successful if it were placed in the back, allowing a ramp and room for more seats; however it be at the expense of the cool rocket launcher thingy. Just some thoughts! :)

Increasing the length of the sets never really works, sadly it didn't work on this one either. It looks really weird and disproportionate.

I get what you tried to achieve but to do it perfectly you should try remaking the model from the stratch with making it all around bigger.

Your mods are a great start! The only thing I can think of is to follow through and build up the back end. Perhaps try using a SNOT-type built set of wings connected to the jet with a few grey pins. But I really like your inclusion of the ramp.

As for landing gear, you are right it is impossible to add in interior moving wheels to this design. I just attached some to the bottom of mine, which I think is fine. I also moved the flick missiles back to the large wing/engine area, and doubled them from two to four. Although I'm more concerned with expanding the interior--I think your ramp entrance is great but it might be more successful if it were placed in the back, allowing a ramp and room for more seats; however it be at the expense of the cool rocket launcher thingy. Just some thoughts! :)

Thanks, I like the idea of the flick missiles at the back. would be cool if they could be hidden Like the Quinjet! You are spot on with the ramp at the back. nowhere for the rockets :(

Increasing the length of the sets never really works, sadly it didn't work on this one either. It looks really weird and disproportionate.

I get what you tried to achieve but to do it perfectly you should try remaking the model from the stratch with making it all around bigger.

I like the design Lego did. I don't think there is need to build it from scratch.

Your mods are a great start! The only thing I can think of is to follow through and build up the back end. Perhaps try using a SNOT-type built set of wings connected to the jet with a few grey pins. But I really like your inclusion of the ramp.

Thank you.

It depends on what the builder is going for. The Lego version is a bit of a hybrid. By lengthening it and adding some wing and lifting surfaces, without widening the fuselage, it ends up looking a lot more like an 80 - 90s comics X Jet. Not the traditional SR71, but one of its later replacements in the comics. The 16 stud extension while probably more accurate to how the plane was or is drawn, does seem a bit too long in the actual Lego. Most likely because you are limited in how much you can uncompressed the wings. 8-12 studs would probably be a better visual compromise.

It depends on what the builder is going for. The Lego version is a bit of a hybrid. By lengthening it and adding some wing and lifting surfaces, without widening the fuselage, it ends up looking a lot more like an 80 - 90s comics X Jet. Not the traditional SR71, but one of its later replacements in the comics. The 16 stud extension while probably more accurate to how the plane was or is drawn, does seem a bit too long in the actual Lego. Most likely because you are limited in how much you can uncompressed the wings. 8-12 studs would probably be a better visual compromise.

Totally agree, they all drawn differently ( its not even black lol) If you check out my Flickr i did an 8 stud version ;)