Hinckley

New City MOC-Brown Condos

brown_condos_down.jpg

EDIT: I changed the name of this MOC from Brown Condos to...

Deli Brownstone: This is my follow-up to Caf

Edited by hinckley39

Hinckley, this is absolutely fantastic. I really like this.

The only nagle I have is perhaps the red door/window/trim on the bottom of the building. Perhaps a color more similar to the rest of the building.

Amazing MOC.

Chewie

I'm in awe. This is why AFOLs will gravitate to this new concept in building.

Joe Meno should put your MOC in one of his magazines.

My favourite touch: the columns on the balconies... but so many little architectural details.

Seriously, how long did that take?

Hinckley, this is absolutely fantastic. I really like this.

The only nagle I have is perhaps the red door/window/trim on the bottom of the building. Perhaps a color more similar to the rest of the building.

Amazing MOC.

Chewie

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback!

Chewie, I meant the red trim to represent an old building that had just had a facelift. This happens a lot in Chicago where someone does some tuckpointing and decides to replace the entire first floor facade and modernize it while leaving the rest of the building's historical facade intact. Usually for retail purposes. So, I purposely made it dissimilar to the rest of the building. Thanks again for the feedback!

Asuka on always!

Gylman, I think it took me about a month of slowly adding on here and there. Literally, that balcony sat next to the Cafe Corner for a couple weeks before I really got started and then, of course, some phases relied heavily on Bricklink shipments coming in...light gray mini-fig heads...

Thanks again everybody! X-D

Very nice. *Claps congragulatorialy*

Kudos to you, your building skills, and your large amount of LEGO

Edited by Norrington

This marks the beginning of a New Town Project for my layout where I will be converting all of my old MOCs to buildings that compliment the CC style of modeling.

brown_condos003.jpg

I'm curious. I have been planning to rebuild My Cafe Corner (and related MOCs) to better fit onto road plates and convert to studded sidewalks. Are you just dropping yours on top of road plates?

Is so, how well does that lay out over mutliple road plates? Any problems?

Well, nothing special to say, just *y* !

It's a really nice building with so many details! I like the balcony fences, really great! And even if I have never been to the States, it has an american feeling, like buildings that I have seen in lot of pics from your country. Maybe it will be better to put your Brown Condo just next to CC and don't let 2 studs...

Really nice work!

Just a little bad think, a red and dark grey car will suit better than your white car :-D !

I'm curious. I have been planning to rebuild My Cafe Corner (and related MOCs) to better fit onto road plates and convert to studded sidewalks. Are you just dropping yours on top of road plates?

Is so, how well does that lay out over mutliple road plates? Any problems?

I built the Cafe Corner directly onto the T-Junction road plate when I got it. I just started the outside 1 x 1 light bley plate on the inside corner of the bike path and readjusted to the two other road plates and a base plate from there. I don't like the way it looks when a baseplate sits on top of another baseplate.

Norrington, great idea for the name of Condo Corner, unfortunately it's not on the corner! ;-)

Alex, you crack me up. I think it would look better with your spider in front of it my french friend. How funny that we are neck in neck in the competition. Your car is awesome and you deserve to win. AND thank you for voting for me. You're awesome.

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback!

Alex, you crack me up. I think it would look better with your spider in front of it my french friend. How funny that we are neck in neck in the competition. Your car is awesome and you deserve to win. AND thank you for voting for me. You're awesome.

:-$

After looking at your pics again, I find that the CC looks small. A second middle floor will not be too much IMO to have the same imposing presence than your BC...

Just buy another CC and show us how that will look afterward :-D

You can't say anything abuot something perfect except it's perfect. *y* Well done.How much did it cost to build this?And is this minfig scale. 8-

Another phenomenal MOC from the city's head architect and foreman! You've used a neat design for those hanging gables, thus giving the facade great detail. Those Roman influenced corbels and the balcony railing integration with the uppermost classical style cornice looks really authentic too. The fire escape is always a nice touch, but I much preferred the one used for your Fire Station (Which would fit seamlessly into a modular New York City).

It all adds up to a great atmosphere, only slightly under the quality of the Fire Station. That truly is a helluva lot of bricks..... :-D

I also have a request - could you please post the NYC building you modeled your work after? ;-)

Another phenomenal MOC from the city's head architect and foreman! ...I also have a request - could you please post the NYC building you modeled your work after? ;-)

Thanks 007! What very nice things to say. :-$ And thank you for all of the architectural terms so I can talk more clearly about my MOCs in the future...I do like the fire escape better in my fire station but, it's funny you like the FS better because after building this new MOC I am thinking about giving the FS a makeover! I learned a lot about building when making this and want to apply it to my other MOCs. (I'll post the pic of the NY building at the bottom of this post)

Zouave, perfect? Why, thank you so much. The building is minifig scale:

brown_condos013.jpg

you can also see more pics with minifig interaction in the full Deli Brownstone gallery. I'm not sure how much it would cost to build it with all new pieces from Bricklink. My collection is 25 years old and I had most of the pieces I needed. I spent about $20 in supplemental parts on Bricklink. Knowing how much the CC cost and seeing that my MOC is taller and has some inside detail (I plan to furnish the whole thing soon!) I would guess it would be at least $250.

Alex54-I do see that the Cafe Corner looks small next to it, almost out of scale. But, drving around Chicago neighborhoods I do notice that most floors are not the same size from building to building and usually don't match up. So, I'm fine with the CC's floor being about a brick shorter than the floors of the Deli Brownstone. However, I do want to modify my CC (even more) and make the first floor taller and a little more architecturally interesting around the windows. It's funny :-D to me that I built the Deli Brownstone to compliment the CC and now I'm going to go back and make the CC compliment the Deli Brownstone.

Thanks to everyone for all of the nice feedback. I really appreciate it:

007, here is the inspiration pic I used. It is the brown building in the center. The first floor is completely different as I plan to do another building based off the first floor:

brownstone.jpg

Edited by hinckley39

So, I'm fine with the CC's floor being about a brick shorter than the floors of the Deli Brownstone. However, I do want to modify my CC (even more) and make the first floor taller and a little more architecturally interesting around the windows.

You don't understand, I didn't want to say that to make the floor taller in term of bricks, but to add one floor, the middle one...

Anyway...

Nice to see the original building and how you build it, it's really interesting to see how you capture the details.

I will do this for my future houses, I think...

You don't understand, I didn't want to say that to make the floor taller in term of bricks, but to add one floor, the middle one...

Anyway...

Nice to see the original building and how you build it, it's really interesting to see how you capture the details.

I will do this for my future houses, I think...

Oh, but I do understand. ;-) Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear that my problem with the CC next to it is different. I like the roof height being different. I want to put a billboard on top of the CC. I see this a lot in Chicago when corner buildings are shorter than the ones around them. Actually a lot of busy intersections have billboards at their 4-way intersections no matter what the heights of the buildings are. But I think the smart owners of the Deli Browstone would use the height difference to advertise on the side of their building, too.

I find that using pictures results in the best MOCs. Even if I don't copy a real-life building, if I sketch out the idea first and use it as a guide, my thoughts come across much more clearly!

BTW, I like you, you're cool! :-)

What do you think off making a topic where each members post pics of some beautifull and particular buildings of their own town? So members can share what they like in their town and permit for the other to discover different places and to have some inspirations for their houses/buildings, or just to find some nice details to integrate... I think it's more friendly that just going to the google pics search engine...

BTW, I like you, you're cool! :-)

:-$

You're cool too!

What do you think off making a topic where each members post pics of some beautifull and particular buildings of their own town? So members can share what they like in their town and permit for the other to discover different places and to have some inspirations for their houses/buildings, or just to find some nice details to integrate... I think it's more friendly that just going to the google pics search engine...

That's one of the best ideas I've ever heard. Let's start one. Which sub-forum should we put it in? I have a ton of pictures I could share already because I've spent hours on google and flickr looking for cool buildings...

Thanks 007! What very nice things to say. :-$ And thank you for all of the architectural terms so I can talk more clearly about my MOCs in the future...
I knew you'll like that. X-D

Any time, Hinckley, it's my pleasure. :-P

I do like the fire escape better in my fire station but, it's funny you like the FS better because after building this new MOC I am thinking about giving the FS a makeover! I learned a lot about building when making this and want to apply it to my other MOCs.
Wonderful! I shall look forward to the revamped fire station. :'-) Do you plan on modifying the fire escape on the deli afterwards? The new name's great, by the way.
(I'll post the pic of the NY building at the bottom of this post)
Thanks, it makes a good addition to the MOC. A whole topic would be great also. So, go henceforth Alex!

Norrington, great idea for the name of Condo Corner, unfortunately it's not on the corner! ;-)

hhhmmm... But only by a minor technicality ;-)

Though, without that minor technicality it is very near the corner so you could probably get away with it.

Wonderful! I shall look forward to the revamped fire station. :'-) Do you plan on modifying the fire escape on the deli afterwards? The new name's great, by the way.

I definitely plan on re-vamping the Deli fire escape. I may make it a little wider even. I can't fit any fences in to the three stud area I've left myself. Thanks again to everyone for all the great feedback. I will be working on a new building soon!