Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

La R�volution

thindexedgif.gif 31c

This is the ship I built for my whitecoat army - which in my Lego world represents the French.

La R�volution:

03.jpg

Brickshelf gallery

I experimented with the Viking ship's hull to see how well it would work in the Pirate theme. The white horns at both sides are of course supposed to be whale's bones - which were used as a decoration for ships in the pirate age.

I tried to make the ship rather simple, however I did include the captain's quarters with some interior details (see here and here). The ship is also armed with custom cannons.

Now my French faction can finally sail the seven seas ;-)

PS. Can a MOD change the "r" to "R" in the ship's name in the topic's title, it seems I can't do that :P

Edited by SlyOwl

That looks really good for using the Viking hull parts. Actually the best I've seen, since there are no other pirate ships using those hulls. X-D

PS. Can a MOD change the "r" to "R" in the ship's name in the topic's title, it seems I can't do that :P

You might want to rename the ship La Revoluci

Edited by Governor Broadside

You have a good looking faction Mr. Dreamweb. First time I see them in action on a MOC. I really like the look of those torso's.

Not many have tried to use the viking hull (the front and back pieces of the hull) to make a ship like this.

I like the result! What type of ship would you call this?

Done!

Edited by bonaparte

What type of ship would you call this?

I have no idea, someone much more experienced in naval terminology could try to name it :)

This is very interesting. It's the first time I've seen anyone use the Viking hull for a pirate creation, and while I think you've done a good job, it just doesn't have the same nice feel as other ships.

As usual, you've done a nice job with the sails ands masts setup, the rigging is simple, but works very well.

The interior of the cabin is a bit unfinished looking, but I suppose it gets the job done.

I have no idea if the cannons are accurate or not, but I don't like them. They have the width of a regular musket, which just doesn't seem right to me. If you were to replace the Technic piece with the regular 'cannon ball' piece, I think they'd look a lot better. It also doesn't seem like a good idea to have a cannon directly below the ladders.

I don't like the use of the viking horns, but that's probably just a personal preference. The way they've been connected looks sloppy, though. I would suggest make the railing run across the top of them, not the back.

Have you tried angling the cabin, and putting it on the back section of the hull? I'm not sure how good that would be able to look, but if you were able to pull it off well, I think it'd be heaps better then where it is now.

Overall, I think it's a nice try, but seems below par with the rest of your creations.

Thanks for the comments. I was thinking of angling the cabin, but finally decided not to - not every ship has to have a cabin in the very rear section - does it?

The cannons are small because they had to fit the small gunports, and I couldn't make bigger gunports due to my small amount of reddish brown bricks. And I wanted them to be colour-consistent so... :S

La R

Edited by phred

This is very interesting. It's the first time I've seen anyone use the Viking hull for a pirate creation, and while I think you've done a good job, it just doesn't have the same nice feel as other ships.

This is the first time I've seen a Viking hull for a Pirate MOC too and I see what you mean about the hull Sir Dillion. It doesn't quite look right for that type of ship, I think maybe because of how much it curves upwards too much.

But that aside, once again you've done a mighty fine effort Dreamweb! *y*

Nice ship with the use of the Viking hulls, I like the white Faction the most great job.

Well, that's obvious that this hull looks constroversial in a Pirate MOC, and I understand why some of you think it doesn't fit... However, I like it exactly because of its "different" (and maybe even a little out of place) look. I like realistic MOCs, but I equally like strange MOCs, and that's it. ;-)

Thanks for the comments. I was thinking of angling the cabin, but finally decided not to - not every ship has to have a cabin in the very rear section - does it?

The cannons are small because they had to fit the small gunports, and I couldn't make bigger gunports due to my small amount of reddish brown bricks. And I wanted them to be colour-consistent so... :S

Couldn't you have just left out the gun port piece all together, and just left a hole?

And no, not every cabin must be in the back of a ship, but I think it looks odd on this style of ship. It might look interesting if you were to leave off the back end of the haul all and tried to make a different type of back with slopes and normal bricks. However, I don't think you'd be able to do that with a limited red brown collection

Well, that's obvious that this hull looks constroversial in a Pirate MOC, and I understand why some of you think it doesn't fit... However, I like it exactly because of its "different" (and maybe even a little out of place) look. I like realistic MOCs, but I equally like strange MOCs, and that's it. ;-)

Maybe we're so used to traditional hulls we're just not accepting of the new ones. We're soooo silly... Different is good. We should all try new ways of building even if it may seem strange at first.

Mr Dreamweb did you buy these hulls especially, or did you borrow them from the Viking ship set?

Couldn't you have just left out the gun port piece all together, and just left a hole?

In this case I decided to put aesthetics above firepower :)

Sir Dillon, are you suggesting that the ship look something like this ship from the new castle line?

Although I think the new Castle line is great, I don't like that ship very much. I think its stern ends much too abruptly. However, I might consider buying two such ships some day and making one bigger ship out of them. I might even try to make a Pirate-themed ship once more :-P :-D This however is pure speculation...

Mr Dreamweb did you buy these hulls especially, or did you borrow them from the Viking ship set?

I was kind of bored with my Viking longboat so I dismantled it and borrowed the hull :)

Great ship!

I like the design and the hulls, it's something fresh and different, nice sails too!

*y*

i can't imagine why people shouldn't be using the viking hull. i think it should work out perfectly, but only if you build a type that make these hull sections look good, where they actually are an addition to the model. not every ship of the pirate era was of the same classic type, after all...

in this case i'd say it doesn't look bad, but like most, there's this feeling something doesn't add up. maybe you should do some research in ships of that era and see if you can build a copy of that with the viking hull...

I guess I should have known that when I read "French" in your post.

Sir Dillon, are you suggesting that the ship look something like this ship from the new castle line?

7029-1.jpg

No. That ends too quickly. What I meant was to try and make a brick built back end. I've never tried something like that, so I don't know if it would look good or not, but I think if done right, it might have a nice effect.

I was kind of bored with my Viking longboat so I dismantled it and borrowed the hull :)

Awwww!!! The vikings will be so disappointed when they find that out... :'-(

La R

i havent seen those pictures before... are those sets out somewhere? they are not available in the USA... I NEED THE BOAT!!! i actually just bought a bunch of the little sets on S@H (i know i am betraying my pirate heritage but they are pretty cool!) I did not see either of those sets on the website though! I must know!

I believe this one will be a Toys R'US exclusive, so watch for them there. I am sure it will eventually be on S@H