42030 Volvo L350F Wheel Loader Rating  

379 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Obviously to save cost and paper. It's no big deal to download them anyway.

It depends on who you ask. For me it's a big deal actually.

I have enough of computer intraction already. I don't need to have it imposed on me even more when building something physical.

I really like to turn the computer off, have my milk/cocoa/beer/etc. and sit down in front of my bricks and paper instructions to enjoy these "analog" moments.

Having BI digital only beats the purpose of this whole "physical only" experience for me. On top of that those digital instructions are of bad quality (both resolution and colour accuracy) so it's more strajn on your eyes. And we pay a lot for these set...

And no, I won't be printing this on my own.

Having said that the set is on my shoppng list due to PF elements.

I fully agree with Mestari, one of the main reasons why i buy Lego is that the build is relaxing me and keeps my eyes away from my PC. There are other better ways to save paper in my opinion.

I really like to turn the computer off, have my milk/cocoa/beer/etc. and sit down in front of my bricks and paper instructions to enjoy these "analog" moments.

It's 2014, consider a tablet. Works great for me, and I'd say image quality actually beats the printed version.

Agree with Mestari.

I still hope BI instruction for A-model only is due to pre-release state of a set. In case of TLG being worried about environment there are known solutions. Same amount of paper can be used when making boxes smaller (why pack the air?) and designing BI to perform more steps per page as it used to be before.

It's 2014, consider a tablet. Works great for me, and I'd say image quality actually beats the printed version.
I'm not sure if buying tabled is more environment friendly than having BI printed. Eyes still getting tired. Edited by zux

I still hope BI instruction for A-model only is due to pre-release state of a set.

Highly doubtful, as the information about B-model instructions being available online only is printed on the box.

Eyes still getting tired.

One could argue that your eyes are getting tired whenever they're opened :)

Edited by Sariel

Exactly my point,my iPad is great for this :) paper is fading out get with the times people!

Let's keep this thread about the Volvo. Please start a different topic about instructions for B-models :thumbup:

On a more important matter; I had mail conversation with the Technic Team today, after they had noticed the discussion about the V1 vs. V2 receiver, and wanted to let us in the fan community know a bit more what happened. Let me try to summarize the discussion:

Apparently, the V2 IR Receiver was developed for use in the 9398 4X4 Crawler. The 4X4 Crawler Power Functions set-up (two L motors for driving and one Servo motor for steering on one IR Receiver) has some specific needs to make the model perform the way it does. That is why the V2 Receiver was developed. The 40030 Volvo Wheel loader has a different Power Functions set-up (four motors on two receivers) and for different reasons (e.g. different motor characteristics, different drive train in the model, model play experience etc.) this set-up is more suited for the “V1” IR Receiver. From what I could understand, the model will not perform well with the V2 Receiver! The only visual difference between the “V1” and V2 Receivers are the printed “V2” on the receiver. When developing the packaging TLG simply put the wrong pictures on the box – it should have been pictures of the “V1” Receiver, as this is what is in the model. I was told that they are now correcting this error, so that all boxes going forward will be correct!

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

You mention in your [wonderfully well-written] review that the 42030 trumps the 8265 in every way. Can you elaborate on this, please? Obviously it's larger, contains more pieces, and is motorized, but it seems like the 8265 is better in terms of price-per-part and complexity (though I may very well be mistaken).

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to decide between the two, and I can get the 8265 for about $100 cheaper, so I want to be convinced that the 42030 is the superior option before making such a hefty purchase.

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to decide between the two, and I can get the 8265 for about $100 cheaper, so I want to be convinced that the 42030 is the superior option before making such a hefty purchase.

I don't think you can reasonably compare the price/part for these two models because 42030 is riddled with Power Functions and 8265 has none. So neglecting cost, I think your decision comes down to whether you prefer motorization or mechanical complexity.

8265 has Linear actuators which are operated by hand... That's enough for me to not want it. I'm looking forward to this set, although I'll have to wait until the vacation to get it:)

You mention in your [wonderfully well-written] review that the 42030 trumps the 8265 in every way. Can you elaborate on this, please? Obviously it's larger, contains more pieces, and is motorized, but it seems like the 8265 is better in terms of price-per-part and complexity (though I may very well be mistaken).

Thanks and sure, I could elaborate.

9 PF elements!! Including ALL motors!

Unimog wheels

New yellow rims

The functions work very well with PF, while the 8265 has manually operated functions (you can add PF, but it's that well implemented and integrated as in the 42030)

Portal hubs

Unique bucket

It looks massive compared to the 8265

And I agree with Blakbird; you can't really compare both models. It's like comparing the 42009 Crane with the 8053.

When you see this model in real life, you'll know why I would recommend to spend the extra money.

The only visual difference between the “V1” and V2 Receivers are the printed “V2” on the receiver. When developing the packaging TLG simply put the wrong pictures on the box – it should have been pictures of the “V1” Receiver, as this is what is in the model. I was told that they are now correcting this error, so that all boxes going forward will be correct!

So some reviewers are going to have unique box then :classic:

What I like about this set:

- The look of the rear part

- Another RC model

- The B model

What I don't like

- The price (compared to 9398)

- The side look of the front part - it looks like it's half-built

Jim,

Could you ask the Technic team if the PF v2 receivers were a one off for the 9398 or do they have plans to use the new version in the future? It would also be nice to know if they will be selling them in the Lego store.

Thanks and sure, I could elaborate.

9 PF elements!! Including ALL motors!

The functions work very well with PF, while the 8265 has manually operated functions (you can add PF, but it's that well implemented and integrated as in the 42030)

It looks massive compared to the 8265

Jim, i agree with you that 220€ (probably there will soon some discounts) are a really fair price for all this stuff... BTW just the PF Elements are worth anout 125 or Even more...

But nevertheless i vote for the 8265: it Looks better at least overall, the Front of 42030 is nothing less than ugly. And the motorization of 8265 is implemented very very well - IMHO One of the best add-on motorization of TLG sets... I agree with blakbird: it comes Down to the question If you like full motorization and RC or If you like more building complexity... The build of 8265 is really fun... And wat i have seen building the 42030 is really boring... And RCing is Not the most important feature for me....

But it is a really good parts pack...

And the motorization of 8265 is implemented very very well - IMHO One of the best add-on motorization of TLG sets...

@Kumbbl: What motorization are you referring to?

This one?: http://www.technicbr...s-for-8265.html

I agree with the comments made on this TechnicBRICKSs article.

Edited by Theo van Vroenhoven

Jim,

Could you ask the Technic team if the PF v2 receivers were a one off for the 9398 or do they have plans to use the new version in the future?

9398 uses a V2 receiver because it powers 2 L motors through one output, which requires a higher current limit than the V1 can provide. I'm sure if there ever appears a model with such a setup again (another crawler?), they will use the V2 again.

9398 uses a V2 receiver because it powers 2 L motors through one output, which requires a higher current limit than the V1 can provide. I'm sure if there ever appears a model with such a setup again (another crawler?), they will use the V2 again.

Exactly!

Jim, thanks for this detailed and comprehensive review. The quality of your photography is stunning and makes me feel like I have the set in my hands. :sweet:

I’m a little ambivalent about the set itself. I like that Lego are pushing the envelope with more RC controlled vehicles, and I like that they are tying it to a real world piece of construction equipment, but I must admit that I’m growing weary of yet another loader, crane, excavator, or bulldozer. Also, I think the physical size is actually a detriment, as the model has grown so large that it is difficult to display or store on most shelving units or display cases. I’d much rather see the designers shrink the functionality to fit into something the size of the 8265, even if it means leaving out the working pistons. I’m also disappointed that they did not include the train controller so that the steering and speed could be (somewhat) proportionally controlled, especially since that is a feature of the servo that they have yet to utilize in an official set. For $250, I think it’s the kind of thing that would have pushed me over the top to purchase. As it stands, I will need to see this for at least a 20% discount before I consider purchasing, assuming this set is even released in North America.

On that subject, I still don’t understand why the larger Spring Technic sets haven’t been released in the US. The Cargo Plane (42025) is a breath of fresh air and I think it will sell better than most Technic sets if only because it is something different. No one from Lego has been able to confirm a US release date, and at this point I just want to know if it’s coming or not.

C’mon Lego, don’t forsake your best Technic customers! :distressed:

Jim, how many pages has the single book? 42009 one has 427 :grin::grin:

I will let you know tomorrow. Probably a lot less.

Jim, thanks for this detailed and comprehensive review. The quality of your photography is stunning and makes me feel like I have the set in my hands. :sweet:

Thanks! Means a lot, hearing these kind words.