The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

I am totally with you!

I think there should be the rule to show pictures of the ideas made in real bricks! Yes, there could be some pieces perhaps not in the perfect color but it would show that the projects are really working and not just simulated! There would also be a proof of the self made part and not just copy other ideas!

And I am tired of the much too big ideas that can never be realized for real.

Perhaps it would be great to offer the instructions for good made ideas that made it into the 10k or even the 5k group.

That would put people without large collections at a great disadvantage.

I just wish LDD had better rendering so that a lot of the projects would look better. Many projects made in LDD are very hard to tell apart from real bricks because of the additional effort to find and use good rendering software. If this kind of rendering were built into LDD, so many projects would shoot up in image quality.

You can use bluerender or LDD2POV to render your LDD images to look better. Presentation is key.

You can use bluerender or LDD2POV to render your LDD images to look better. Presentation is key.

True, but what I'm saying is that it would be better if LDD had that level of rendering on its own. If it did, then there wouldn't be so many bad looking LDD projects.

Ah, so much for this wonderful new 60 days to get a 100 supporters, there is a major bug in the system !

Those with projects over a hundred supports are being promised 365 days extra but only been given an extra 60 days ?

Seriously they better fix this problem quick !

I will not mind the new system for if you gain 100 supports real quick you technically have a 100 support headstart.

I think the new 60 day rule is great! I'll take quality over quantity any day of the week (except if we are talking about chocolate, in which case I will accept large quantities).

I don't think the 60-day rule will actually help anything, though; all the "crummy" stuff will still be there, showing up under the Recently Added sorting of the Discovery page that I suspect most of us browse the site by by default. OTOH, it should ensure that even fewer quality projects make it to the finish line. I think we're about to start seeing smaller review batches. I hope I'm wrong, though.

60 day rule may not help quality. It will help cut down the quantity of projects sticking around to 365 days. It can make the size of active projects more manageable and less daunting for those browsing through gathering support.

Well, I finally received a reply to my questions..........

Dear Shaun,

Thanks for taking the time to write to us.

Towards the end of last week we implemented new guidelines on LEGO Ideas. One of these guidelines was a change to the milestones that LEGO Ideas members must achieve in order to receive additional days to gather support. To be exact, all projects must now gather 100 supporters in the first 60 days after submitting a project. We have chosen to implement these changes with immediate effect for all projects that have gathered less than 100 supporters, which unfortunately has meant that a number of your projects have been affected by this new guideline. This is all outlined in our blog post that you can find here: https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/73.

We did encounter a small anomaly due to the update though. The system looked at projects with more than 100 and less than 1,000 supporters and saw they were now short 60 days, so it gave those projects 60 days, and also triggered the new Official Comment for 100 supporters. Since there’s only one template, the comment said that 365 days were added. Oops!

Something similar will happen to projects that currently have between 1,000-5,000 supporters when they reach 5k; the script will see they are short 60 days and they’ll actually receive 242 days instead of 182. Projects currently under 100 won’t have these issues. We didn’t completely anticipate this. But, since the “error” is in your favor, the days are yours to keep. Please note that no projects however have had days removed from them that was not intentional and in line with our guidelines update.

Please accept our apologies for the confusing message mentioning 365 days—we are in fact only adding +60 days to these projects.

Kind regards,

Hasan

LEGO® Ideas

Seriously, OOPS is all they can say ? No, no, promise deliver Ideas - if you didn't write 365 days then no problem but to do so then not deliver is not fair. If this kind of monkey business goes on then I could see the end to Ideas all together as people will not be worried about posting anything. Already project posters are saying "oh, mine isn't going to make 100" - great, Lego crush peoples hopes which sound so anti what Lego stands for I my opinion.

If people with bad Ideas projects are unconvinced that they will get the 100 supporters in 60 days, then it's good that they won't be posting them anymore.

If people with good Ideas projects are unconvinced that they will get the 100 supporters in 60 days, then it's bad that they won't be posting them anymore.

Tough call, we'll have to see how it plays out.

Remember that they said that EVERY submission that got to 5000 so far got to 100 within 30 days, that's twice as fast as the new rules allow. If anything, if your project doesn't make it then it should be a wake-up call: not quite good/suitable enough.

Remember that they said that EVERY submission that got to 5000 so far got to 100 within 30 days, that's twice as fast as the new rules allow. If anything, if your project doesn't make it then it should be a wake-up call: not quite good/suitable enough.

Exactly. If the quality of a "good" project allows it to reach the 1,000 supporters milestone within the first year then 100 supporters within 60 days shouldn't be that big a hurdle.

Not on its own, no. But if enough of the site's users start browsing with the new IP filter - looking at either only licensed projects, or only unlicensed projects - it could dramatically reduce the number of people who ever see a given project to begin with. In fact, we can be sure it will reduce the number; the only question is how much.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing. I think virtually every change implemented to CUUSOO / Ideas since it was launched back in 2008 has been a really good one, so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of doubt and hope for the best. But part of me is somewhat concerned that we're about to see the struggle made quite a bit harder for even quality projects, and that we might never see any more review batches again with as many projects as the batch that just closed. But I hope I'm wrong...

So I found something really cool, and I don't think any licensing issues will get in the way: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/153668

83 supporters with 59 days left to get to 100 at the time of the post.

I think it could use a laser but that may be against modern weapon policies.

I suspect that Hammerhead Shark (and the similar Great White Shark by the same builder) will have the same issues as the large scale dinosaur projects.

The images for his projects are clearly digital (if nothing else, the Great White depicts a diver with flippers in dark blue and goggles in yellow, neither of which exist in real brick) and I do wonder if he has even tried to build them in real life or knows if they are buildable/would hold together.

I see no reason to think those wouldn't be buildable in real life. There's nothing unusual about the structures.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

The Yellow Subarine set from the Beatles will have cartoonish figs (with classiques eyes however)

23submarinespan.jpg

The Yellow Subarine set from the Beatles will have cartoonish figs (with classiques eyes however)

That's good news. I'm still very excited about this set!