JopieK

Kickstarter: ME Models Tracks for both metal and ABS only track pieces

w0w I thought for sure I would be looking at the new metal rails I ordered underneath the tree this year. well I guess not and no new up dates either.. what a train wreck this has become  :(..

Dear fellow “L-Gauge” Hobbyists,

Happy Holidays from ME Models! This is the update that all of you have been waiting for! ME Models Metal Rails are now available for you to purchase at www.me-models.com.

After six years of product development and additional support from a KickStarter campaign, we are now delivering the additional 9-volt geometries. Please take a few moments to read through this announcement as it contains a lot of information that should address all of your concerns and needs. There will be future updates post-project as we field questions from the community.

We are sure that there are questions as to why it has taken a few additional months to deliver since our last update in late August. Our last 12 months of work has been spent re-configuring, testing, and re-testing design and functionality of our new 9-volt track. Our success in delivering a reliable product was a direct result of several costly mold re-configurations, live electrical testing, material resourcing, and endless hours of scrutinizing electrical connectivity. The new track configuration we are producing is the most economical, efficient and reliable design that will allow for ease of “L-gauge” system expansion.  We wanted to come as close as we could to replicating the old 9-volt track configuration and to make sure that it would be affordable so that everyone could continue to enjoy the hobby at a reasonable cost.

We know that the current “L-gauge” hobbyist is going to continue to use existing “L-gauge” track to run 9-volt power. ME Models is committed to extending the life of the “L-gauge” system by helping to make “L-gauge” a mainstream model railway scale.

The ME Models Metal Rail System will be able to connect directly into your entire existing “L-gauge” 9-volt track by using the ME “Conversion Section.” This section replicates the existing 9-volt connection on one end and allows you to convert into our new design from the other. We have eliminated any possible failures of electrical connectivity issues by using rail joiners as a way to connect the metal rail. The rail joiner that you see is not new. It has been around for nearly 60 years and is used by just about every other model railway system in all gauges. The introduction of the rail joiner to the current system brings the “L-gauge” hobby in line with all the other main line model railroad systems.  When fully assembled, the ME Models metal rail system is aesthetically the same as what you are used to seeing.

We also want to make clear that our current plastic power function compatible “L-gauge” track will not have any change. Color options for metal rail ballast include Blue-Gray or Dark Brown.  Please refer to our website www.me-models.com for additional product specifications and use.

We know there are many of you waiting on your rewards. This includes KickStarter, KickBacker and July 2016 Extension period supporters. All rewards for supporters will be sent within the next 4 weeks and throughout the Holiday and New Year period. WE WILL BE ADDING ONE CONVERSION PACK PER LOOP ORDERED AT NO EXTRA COST.

We appreciate your continued support and patience.  We will be adding a wide range of additional track geometries in 2017.

Merry Christmas,

ME Models

I appreciate your efforts and look forward to receiving my rewards when shipped. Thanks for sticking at it. I've been lookitforward to it for a while.

Well I sure hope these rails deliver. Just submitted a $500 order. Shame there wasn't free shipping threshold but can't complain too much. Looking forward to my engines running around a proper loop.

-Jeffinslaw

Happy Holidays, ME Models, and thank you for the great news.  I've been patiently waiting to set up a layout with your metal rails.  I'm excited!

Glad to see you guys got the job done!

I know some folks are disappointed in the timeline, just know, that no one else picked up this challenge, let alone put out product.

9 hours ago, codefox421 said:

Is anyone else far less excited about these now that they require adapter tracks or is it just me?

<--- Here... I would have prefered normal LEGO connectors as well. Hmph, waiting for @coaster then...

10 hours ago, codefox421 said:

Is anyone else far less excited about these now that they require adapter tracks or is it just me?

Honestly, none of the track connectors Lego has ever used is all that great, but for non conductive rails it's fine.  The other thing is that electric model trains have used either pins or  sheet metal rail joiners for over 60 years.  The reason rail joiners haven't gone away is becuase it works.  Lego's solution is expensive and can have a bad connection.  Also, if you're going to criticize ME Model's product then design and sell something better.

Uuuhhhh someone is p*ssed off... on the Intarwebz! I don't like your rudeness, however: I suspect that if ME Models hadn't stated forehand that they would use normal connectors, which would be compatible with the current LEGO system, codefox421 would have no point complaining about it... but:

These rails will be 100% compatible with the recent LEGO offerings.

This was a ME Models statement from 2014, just about the time when this had been fully pledged. The statement for another 9V rail system has emerged in December 2015... So I can understand that someone, who pledged in 2014, is a bit disappointed that a) the rail system has been changed and b) that it took so long to fullfill the metal rail orders.

Whatever, it is nice to see metal rails happening at all. That is quite a feat in itself.

My issue with the last minute connector swap is twofold.

These rails will be 100% compatible with the recent LEGO offerings.

Firstly, ME Models made the above statement, and that is why I backed for metal rails. I build entirely battery operated, but my LUG won't give up 9V yet. If I had known the ME Models rails would be incompatible with my LUG's existing track, I would have only backed for plastic track!

Secondly, I take issue with the late-minute nature of the announcement. This is something that should have been revealed before or at the time that ME Models opened up orders to backers for additional metal track/geometries. If they had, I would, again, not have contributed money toward a rail system that is incompatible with my LUG's existing rail collection.

It's been over two years, I still haven't received my entire plastic reward, and now I find the additional metal rails I've ordered for the benefit of my LUG will be incompatible with the track we already own. I've tried to be positive for the last two years, but this is basically the last straw. The whole project smacks of mismanagement and broken promises. On the bright side, maybe @coaster's project will get more support now.

edit: formatting

Edited by codefox421
formatting

I have no money in this game but it seems that @codefox421, your main complaint is that its not exactly the same connection system as the TLG official one. It seems that if you were just replace the 1 straight headed into each large radii corner with one adapter and a half straight, your issues would be solved. ME rails are still compatible just not at the exact level that you are looking for. There is some ambiguity in the promises from ME rails and I think that for most AFOL's this is a perfectly viable solution. 

Is a short conversion track really upsetting you that much that you're going to critique ME Model's project from the comfort of your armchair?

7 minutes ago, JCForsythe said:

Is a short conversion track really upsetting you that much that you're going to critique ME Model's project from the comfort of your armchair?

Based on the messages I've suddenly been getting, yes.

42 minutes ago, coaster said:

Based on the messages I've suddenly been getting, yes.

One swallow does not a summer make.

I suspect if ME-Models could have made a reliable metal track with the same connections as Lego track, they would have.

I welcome the announcement, and don't understand how, given adapters with orders, anyone can complain it's not 100% compatible.... you can connect it to your existing 9V systems, so how is it not compatible?

I imagine, at some point, given that LEGO track is no longer being made, eventually a 100% conversion to ME rail wouldn't be unusual (supposing they keep making it for enough time).  Requiring an adapter doesn't bother me at all.

3 minutes ago, Paperballpark said:

One swallow does not a summer make.

I suspect if ME-Models could have made a reliable metal track with the same connections as Lego track, they would have.

True, but it is certainly more than just Codefox that's unhappy. 

The next part though is an issue.  There was nothing stopping them from making a reliable metal track, other than perhaps their own capabilities.  I think this is really why people are upset: if you weren't actually capable of making the track, why undertake it in the first place?

31 minutes ago, fred67 said:

I imagine, at some point, given that LEGO track is no longer being made, eventually a 100% conversion to ME rail wouldn't be unusual (supposing they keep making it for enough time).  Requiring an adapter doesn't bother me at all.

Provided you have working motors.  If a 3rd party starts making motors at a reasonable price then 9V may have some legs.

Is it just me or does the price of the metal track seem a little high. It really doesn't have any competition in pricing with the original Lego 9V track. I still might pick some up though.

-RailCo

33 minutes ago, coaster said:

if you weren't actually capable of making the track, why undertake it in the first place?

Ambition? Wanting to try? There's nothing wrong with that, is there? Not everything we try to do succeeds. Sometimes we have to do something differently because how we originally wanted to do it turned out not to be possible. I don't think they can be blamed for having that ambition, nor for perservering and making something, even when it obviously became clear to them that their original plans weren't going to work.

I don't fault anyone for being ambitious.  However, there also need to be realistic expectations about what you'll be able to accomplish, and they clearly bit off more than they could chew.  Also, the project wasn't sold as a "we want to try something," rather they gave the impression they were set and ready to go, when in reality they were clearly far from it.  Whatever issues they had should have been realized long before they took money from anyone, or at a minimum should have been resolved in months, not years.  While I wasn't a backer, I think those that were are within their rights to be disappointed. 

16 hours ago, fred67 said:

I welcome the announcement, and don't understand how, given adapters with orders, anyone can complain it's not 100% compatible.... you can connect it to your existing 9V systems, so how is it not compatible?

We need switches as well.  This is a suppliment to the existing track.  No R40, no switches, no power adapters.  Since it's no longer a real suppliment (ie, conversion piece required), it needs every part (even the R40 since they are in every layout now).  I hope that is coming with a followup.  But, I will certainly not put any money on it until they are shipping actual product next time.

My main problem with the connectors is that we suddenly found out about it now.  They must have known about them at the time they were asking for additional orders a few months ago.  They did not let anyone know at that time.  To me that is very close to being a bait and switch.   A redesign from the first kickstarter, I can see and if it solved issues with the orginal design, I welcome the change, but they should have let us know about it.

The question I keep asking myself is, "is the use of track connectors to save money so they don't have to machine each piece?" or "are they because of reliability issues with connectivity?", or it's also possible that it put a lot of strain on the plastic "holder" of the rail which could break or fall off.

Edited by coreyg
added additional musings...