Rogue Angel

Book II Challenge II - Avalonian Civil War! - RESULTS POSTED

Book II Challenge II - Avalonian Civil War!

Prelude chapters can be viewed here

A hooded figure moves through an Avalonian forest, it is apparent by their stride that they are walking with great purpose.

elves_1.jpg

The figure approaches a large shrine surrounded by pillars. Two contingents of Elves await the approaching figure.

elves_2.jpg

As the figure reaches the stone staircase to the shrine, he pull backs the hood of his cloak to reveal Evranal, Commander of Sentinels for the Rustling Leaves Clan. Lord Varis took the majority of the Elven warriors on his descent into the depths, but the Sentinels remained in defense. As Evranal ascends the steps, he surveys those assembled before him.

elves_3.jpg

Evranal: "Lady Ilgadren, Lady Vinassa, it is good to see you made it here without issue."Lady Ilgadren nods her head in acknowledgement: "Evranal. Can we assume by your presence that the Drow have accomodated us?"Evranal: "Yes m'lady. They were all too eager to agree to the terms. Lady Ilgadren: "That is good to hear. If they were not playing you false, we shall at last regain some control in Avalonia. This situation has been intolerable for far too long. This may place us in position to purify Avalonia once again."

elves_6.jpg

Lady Vinassa: "The Drow have never been trustworthy, why would you expect this time to be any different?"

Lady Ilgadren: "My apologies Vinassa, I should have explained the situation. Due to the dire staits we are in, Evranal and I were forced to proceed without the consultation of the Sacred Oaks Clan. We know that the Drow will never be true to their word. They will hold the pact only as long as they still see some value for themselves. The Drow have always seen the other Elven tribes as weak because we prefer to avoid bloodshed when possible. They do not value life, and so they are easily convinced that we Elves will go to great lengths to preserve ourselves. They also view the other races as sub-Elven, and are willing to believe that we would betray them for they would do it in a heartbeat."

Lady Vinassa looks somewhat relieved: "Well that is more reassuring. If we know they will betray us, what is the value of this pact?"

elves_5.jpg

Evranal: "The Drow have agreed to hold their assault until we have positioned our forces at key strongholds throughout Avalonia. When the Drow move to capture these stongholds, we have agreed to overpower the human forces and turn over the strongholds peacefully. The Drow are not too concerned with the smaller towns, but a siege of Albion could take years, and would anchor their forces. This would leave them open to a counter-attack from the other guilds. We have no intention of turning over these strongholds. Our only goal is to buy more time for Varis to return.. it he does return. We also have confirmation that some of the other Elven clans are sending reinforcements. If we can just hold out until they arrive...."

Lady Vinassa: "I have spoken with some of the other clans as well, but I don't know that they will all be coming to battle. The Deep Shadows Clan is concerned about the rumors of a plague, and are focusing all their efforts on confining it to the Avalonian islands. They feel that a plague would be a greater threat than the Drow."

Lady Ilgadren: "The rumors of plague are disconcerting, but they may be just rumors. The Drow are a real and imminent threat."

Lady Vinassa: "Forgive me, but I must point out that the Swiftwing Clan has less reason to be concerned about this plague than the other clans. Your clan is secluded in the Mystic Isles and has very little contact with the outside world. My Elves have daily contact with the rest of Avalonia and while the Drow are a threat, we have dealt with warfare in the past and we feel that the plague is a far greater danger. The Swiftwing Clan has the luxury of being able to completely cut themselves off from the rest of Avalonia"

Lady Vinassa eyes the hawk mounts perched above.

elves_7.jpg

Lady Ilgadren eyes blaze: "You dare insinuate that we are minimizing the threat of plague, while the Sacred Oak Clan holds the Stronghold of Egroth, the Stronghold that has never fallen? We all know the histories of your ancestors, who held the stronghold while under seige by orcs for 2 years, and suffered not a single casualty. It is rumored that you have stores for five years or more, you have access to spring water and room to hold your entire clan with room to spare. You are not in a position to accuse."

Lady Vinassa: "You mention history, do not forget the great plague that decimated our kind under the rule of Derivinus. 2 out of every 3 Elves died in that plague. We were fewer at the time, and we did not have the interactions with the other races that we have today. If the rumors are true..."

Lady Ilgadren: "If! If! I realize that a plague could be catastrophic, but we can hope that these are only rumors. The Swiftwing Clan will be working to drive back the Drow....

Lady Vinassa: "Sacred Oaks Clan will be working to suppress the plague. I thank you for your council Lady Ilgadren, and I wish you well, but I have other matters I must attend to. Farewell.

Lady Ilgadren: "Farewell. Good luck."

ALBION

degothia_1.jpg

Maps are strewn across the table, as Lord DeGothia reads a message just in from the West. He looks as if he has not slept in days.

The silence of the room is broken by a knock at the door.

DeGothia: "Come in!"

A haggard soldier enters the room. A light cloth covers his mouth.

degothia_2.jpg

Soldier: "M'lord, I must warn you to keep your distance. I have just returned from Cornovia, and I have to report that I may have been exposed to a plague."

DeGothia: "I hope that is not the case, and I will have my healers see to you at once, but before you go, please tell me what you found."

Soldier: "M'lord, with all the rumors, we were worried that the strange ships may have landed in Cornovia and captured the larger towns, so we landed on a deserted beach. We followed the coastline until we reached a small village. We were intending to inquire about the current situation before we approached any major settlements. When I entered the village, I could sense that was something was wrong at once. I should have known, I should have noticed.."

degothia_3.jpg

The solider clearly looks distraught.

DeGothia: The past is as clear as the present is murky. It sounds as if you were wisely proceeding with great caution. Please, what did you find?"

Solider: "I noticed a cart with dead bodies on it but could see no sign of occupation. I could not puzzle out why anyone would invade a village and slay it's inhabitants and then bury the dead. Then I saw a woman sprawled in a doorway with red marks on her face. That's when it occurred to me that it could be a plague."

DeGothia: "Were the marks sores or cuts?"

Soldier: "I'm sorry but I cannot say. As soon as I realized the danger, I fled. I should have examined her more closely..."

DeGothia: "You have a done a great service just returning with this news. You have risked your life, and I could not ask any more of you. Now, proceed to the healers at once, and again, you have my thanks."

Solider: "Thank you m'lord."

degothia_4.jpg

DeGothia watches as the soldier leaves, pondering the news he has just received.

DeGothia: "There were rumors of something dark in Cornovia, but I never dreamed it would have been a plague. Was it brought by these strangers? Are they the ones that killed the villagers? I would have liked confirmation, but I must proceed on the assumption that it is a plague."

degothia_5.jpg

DeGothia pores over the maps before him: "All the major trade routes must be closed. The Drow have almost done us a service there. Albion will be the key. If the plague can be kept out of Albion, then it should be kept from the other Guilds at the least. We will have to cut off the shipping routes though.

This also means I cannot allow the Avalonian military to leave Albion.... This could not have come at a worse time."

NALDERIC

simon_s_1.jpg

Lord Simon considers the last conversation he had with Lord DeGothia. If DeGothia had his way, Avalonia would shore up the defenses of it's towns, and then sit and wait for the Drow to pick them off one by one. It is nice to think that Varis and his Elves will return soon, but that is not the reality. Besides, Benoic is nestled in the shadow of Albion, and would be one of the last Avalonian territories to fall, so it would be much more appealing to try to wait out the Drow. Nalderic on the other hand is exposed and has already felt the effects of the Drow occupation. It is just a matter of time before they strike, and the longer you wait the better prepared they will be.

simon_s_3.jpg

DeGothia's forces follow a rutted trail as it follows the edge of a dense forest. They head northward to assault the Drow invaders.

Once the Drow have been expelled from Nalderic, Simon will rendevous with the other Avalonian lords, and make his way to the mainland to assault the main Drow host. The fate of Avalonia hangs in the balance.

**Challenge II**

If Avalonia is your home guild- Reply to this topic and declare the side of the conflict you wish to support. You will automatically be assigned to this side.

If Avalonia is NOT your home guild- Reply to this topic with the side you wish to join. If possible you will be assigned this side, but it will depend on how things pan out. If you have not preference, please say so. Everyone will be assigned sides by May 1, 2014

If you have not joined any guild yet- what the heck are you waiting for? Join already!

To win this challenge, your side must win at least 2 out of 3 categories below. The decision on which side wins each category will be made by the core leaders who do not manage Avalonia aka Ecclesiates, Ska-for-Hire and ZCereberus

Category A- the small scale/minifigure challenge

Avalonia (Simon/Drow Assault): Depict a character from your side acquiring or providing intelligence on Drow activity

Albion (DeGothia/Plauge Prevention): Depict a character working to suppress the plague (road closure, quarantine, etc) or scout out the stange ships that have been sighted on the Avalonian coast.

Entries are limited to 16 x 16 with reasonable overhang.

Category B- the medium "build" challenge

Avalonia (Simon/Drow Assault): Build a defensive structure with or from which to assault the Drow (camp, stronghold, palisade, etc)

Albion (DeGothia/Plague Prevention): Build a building for either medical treatment, refugee housing or settlement defenses.

Entries are limited to 32 x 32 with reasonable overhang.

Category C- the unlimited story challenge

Avalonia (Simon/Drow Assault): Depict your forces assaulting the Drow and/or the minions. This should be a major offensive.

Albion (DeGothia/Plague Prevention): Build a naval scene of either plague suppression or general naval activity. This must include water, and should involves ships or boats.

General Rules for ALL three categories

One entry per member per category. This means you can have one entry in EACH category if you should so choose.

Entries should be new (never posted anywhere previously). If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact one of the staff members.

All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands.

Decals will be allowed if you've made them yourself, but no cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.

Entries are to be placed in the contest entry topic (replace with link) in the forum.

Entries may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.

Every entry should have and entry name.

You are allowed to create a WIP topic. However, every entry should be posted in the entry topic for it to be eligible for the contest.

Entries are to consist of no more than 5 posted pictures of 800x600 or smaller resolution but may also include a link to a folder of additional images of any size. You can have a video instead of a photo if you want. You may post one entry with up to 10 pictures. It can be from any one category.

No photoshopped backgrounds or packaging, but you are allowed to edit the background to remove distractions.

We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.

These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest

Entries must be posted before June 16th, 2014 anywhere in the world. Entries will be accepted so long as it is June 16th, 2014 anywhere in the world.

The top Category C entry from each side will receive a prize. The winning entry from the winning side will receive their choice of either the Council of Elrond set or the Mirkwood Elf Army set. The remaining set will go to the winner from the losing side.

Team DeGothia:

Avalonia

DeGothia

Gilber

Niku

Rolli

MikeyB

Bregir

Ridge Montate

Kaliphlin

Gideon

Kayne

Gabe

Kai NRG

Robuko

Quiadris

Thomas of Tortugia

Mitgardia

Gunman

Kabel

Wat Tambor

Yooha

Lego Panda

Nocturnus

Legonardo

Mass Editor

(It makes sense that only 1 Nocturnan would lean towards the mercy mission)

Team Simon:

Avalonia

Simon S

Hammerhand

HammerBro33

Carson Haypt

Penkid11

Narbilu

Wedge09

Mpoh

Krono

Odidoma

Kaliphlin

UtilityBelt

Royal Brick Customs

Mike S

Mitgardia

MkJoshA

Infrernum

Alfada

Soccerkid

Garmadon

BKRosell

Cara

Etzel

MRCP6D

Jakon

Dragonfire

Captain Donkey

Tomsche

Nocturnus

Lord Vladivus

Torgar

Emma

Captain Beerbeard

All other non-Avalonian entrants will be divided up as necessary.

Hey. I wish to join with DeGothia/Plague Prevention side if its possible.

thanks!

Edited by Gunman

Oh this is great, but before I enter, could I enter the DG side and present a ship that I've been working on already?

Kabel - if it is not something you have already posted, that should be OK. I don't know if you can count it for both this and the naval challenge though.

I see a viking shield on my horse... somehow reminds me of the good old times :laugh:. However, great challenge rogueang!

Edited by Simon_S

The ramifications are quite interesting. It's not like ch. I where the winner was the faction that wrestled control, but more of which task succeeds, and it could mean that if the Drow Assault succeeds, Albion falls to the plague. I guess we'll find out in a few months :D

I'll have to think which side to join.

I want to join! But I have no preferences on which side to choose so I leave that to you! :sweet:

The ramifications are quite interesting. It's not like ch. I where the winner was the faction that wrestled control, but more of which task succeeds, and it could mean that if the Drow Assault succeeds, Albion falls to the plague. I guess we'll find out in a few months :D

I'll have to think which side to join.

You are exactly right. Is there really a plague? Would the Drow be attacking before reinforcement arrive? This is not cut and dried, so you also to have to consider which eventuality you would rather contemplate? A Drow invasion on the doorsteps of Mitgardia and Kaliphlin or a plague that could extend to all of Historica...

Kabel - if it is not something you have already posted, that should be OK. I don't know if you can count it for both this and the naval challenge though.

I actually posted some wip pics in the pirates forum. So it's not an unknown project. However, since I initiated the GNAR, I actually can't enter there myself. Which actually leads me to another problem, how can I possilby enter GoH contests any longer now that I'm a regulator of this forum ...

I was also wondering what the general public thought about this issue. However, I've never won anything in any challenge anyway ...

Sir Gideon wishes to help his old friend DG to stop the plague!

A question regarding the size limitations, is it ok for a build to be wider than the 16/32 limit in the two restricted categories as long as the total number of studs are less than 256/1024? (For example a 16x48 entry would then be ok in category B?)

I will sign up for Simon's side. The trade halts will hit Vanguard, but preparations have been made for something of this nature. In the meantime, the Armies of Vanhorn shall drive the Drow out of the Enchanted Forest.

This challenge sounds great, looking forward to all the entries!

I actually posted some wip pics in the pirates forum. So it's not an unknown project. However, since I initiated the GNAR, I actually can't enter there myself. Which actually leads me to another problem, how can I possilby enter GoH contests any longer now that I'm a regulator of this forum ...

I was also wondering what the general public thought about this issue. However, I've never won anything in any challenge anyway ...

Kabel - You can still build if you are a regulator, just not if you are a Guild Leader.

Gideon - Stud count matters more than actual dimensions.

Albion is threatened by a plague? Well, I love city building - I can't let that happen. Plus, I've seen Simon's leadership - those people in Nalderic are surely better off as are the Enalican islanders, but that's not my kind of life.

Sir Collis of Avalonia pledges his sword and resources to De Gothia!

I will support DG, great challenge presentation. :thumbup:

I think I'll go with the plague prevention and DeGothia. Not my normal style of building, so hopefully I can deliver something good.

I would prefer to join Simon's side. I have no love for the Drow and want to see them defeated as soon as possible! (Is there any way to know which side I'm on before May 1st?)

This format ought to lead to some interesting diversity of builds!

Sign me up, as a non-tight-wearing-or-flower-sniffing Mitgardian, either side is fine with me. :wink:

So the Drow fight in even in my ancestral home. I shall continue my crusade to wipe these foul creatures from these lands. I declare support for Simon of Nalderic.

There is a small chance however, that I may be able to spare my Necromancer, Krell, who is also a master of plagues, to aid DeGothia in curing the plague.

Long story short, I'd prefer to kick Drow butt with Simon, but I'm quite content with DeGothia as well.

Lesser Burrium is in the thick of the Drow occupation. The forces of Burrium join Simon in the efforts to fend them off.

I'd love to help out my ex-guildmate Simon!

@ Kabel: I don't see why you wouldn't be able to participate.

Great work on this challenge Rogueang!