Sign in to follow this  
Legeaux

Armed Sidewheeler 'Guerre de Roue'

th_indexed.gif 29c

Ahoy all,

A little advanced technology from the shipwrights of Port Brique, the Guerre de Roue:

guerrederoue00.jpg

More pics here, post moderation.

The Guerre de Roue was built out of parts on hand, and you can probably tell a few areas where I was scraping the bottom of the parts barrel... I find narrow hulls a bit of challenge to build well with, but a mid 19th century sidewheeeler can use the narrowness of the hulls well.

As always, comments and criticisms welcome.

Wow, this looks good *wub*

It is build on narrow hull, but it still looks big.

The only time I noticed the ship isn't very wide is in this picture (with the guns back-to-back):

guerrederoue05.jpg

Did you base this design on a real ship? Would be nice to see some pictures.

Just saw this on Lugnet! So nice I had to comment here as well. Great work!

God Bless,

Nathan

I still have a lot of those narrow hull pieces, but somehow I was never interested in using them.

But seeing this, I've decided to make a ship with them (starting tonight).

What I'm missing are some good close-up pictures of the deck (especially the quarter-deck) and the bow of the ship.

Would it still be possible to take some additional close-ups?

An excellent rendition of an unexpected type of ship! Great work!

For those interested in the type, I found this:

Sidewheel Steamer 1854

The sidewheel steamer was a transition ship between wooden sailing ships and steam-driven ironclads. Sidewheelers had wooden masts and hulls, but the hull frames, boilers, and engines were made of iron. To move through the water, sidewheelers used sails in strong wind and steam engines on calm days. The engines turned paddlewheels on the port and starboard sides. Steam power allowed these vessels to move without depending on the wind, like frigates. Unfortunately, the paddlewheels were easy targets for enemies. Paddlewheels were soon replaced by underwater propellers which were harder to damage.

sidewheel2.gif

It is, as I recall, a particularly American type of ship which could have been seen along her coasts or further south, I'm sure.

Steamships isn't really my thing, but this ship looks mighty fine! I especially like the stern and bow of the ship. I also there's alot of detail on this ship, wich seems difficult to me since it's not such a big ship... The only thing you need now are some niceley rolled-up sails!

You always surprise me with your ships! But I can say it's always a pleasant surprise! :-D

Beautiful!

Mr Tiber

Exactly what does it do?

Forget that question...

strange...but cool!

you should put sails!

Does it need sails if it has a wheel?

Wow, this looks good *wub*

It is build on narrow hull, but it still looks big.

The only time I noticed the ship isn't very wide is in this picture (with the guns back-to-back):

guerrederoue05.jpg_thumb.jpg

Yes. There is two studs clearance between the guns - I would have liked smaller guns, but didn't have any 3x2 wedges in red. :(

Originally, I had armed her with only one gun each side (one forward, one aft), but I decided she looked better with pairs, despite the clearance-for-recoil issue.

Did you base this design on a real ship? Would be nice to see some pictures.

I based it on the memory I had of a model I saw at the Australian National Maritime Museum (in the USA Gallery). I am embarrassed to admit that I don't even recall her name.

I still have a lot of those narrow hull pieces, but somehow I was never interested in using them.

But seeing this, I've decided to make a ship with them (starting tonight).

What I'm missing are some good close-up pictures of the deck (especially the quarter-deck) and the bow of the ship.

Would it still be possible to take some additional close-ups?

I'll see what I can do. ;)

An excellent rendition of an unexpected type of ship! Great work!

Thanks!

Steamships isn't really my thing, but this ship looks mighty fine! I especially like the stern and bow of the ship. I also there's alot of detail on this ship, wich seems difficult to me since it's not such a big ship... The only thing you need now are some niceley rolled-up sails!

You always surprise me with your ships! But I can say it's always a pleasant surprise! :-D

Beautiful!

Mr Tiber

Thanks for the compliments. As for sails (which Captain Roger suggested too), a vessel like this, if on a short voyage (or one dominated by headwinds), would likely sail with bare spars. However, a set of furled sails would probably add to the appearance (even brick build Constitution-style sails might look okay).

Forget that question...

Definitely. They may not even be on the spars, but they would definitely be carried. A vessel like this may even spend time under both steam and sail, given the right conditions.

Forget that question...

Wind is always a free type of "fuel" while the coal had to be bought somewere. And on long trips it can alwsays be good to be able to draw benefits from both things :) Very nice ship *wub*

but a bit "new" for me. *sweet*

Definitely. They may not even be on the spars, but they would definitely be carried. A vessel like this may even spend time under both steam and sail, given the right conditions.

Yes, I see your point. Kinda like modern cars can benefit from having electric engines as well as combustion engines.

Yes, I see your point. Kinda like modern cars can benefit from having electric engines as well as combustion engines.

A bit. Although the analogy is not quite right, as the car almost certainly generated the power for the battery in the first place. Possibly more like coasting downhill, but again, not quite right either.

Wind is always a free type of "fuel" while the coal had to be bought somewere. And on long trips it can alwsays be good to be able to draw benefits from both things :) Very nice ship *wub*

but a bit "new" for me. *sweet*

A bit new? Definitely. For me too.

I built it primarily as something interesting to do with the narrow hulls, it certainly doesn't fit the the timeline or 'story' of Port Brique. I even wondered if I should post it here!

And the Guerre de Roue certainly provides a contrast to the other vessels in port at the moment.

I even wondered if I should post it here!

I'm very happy you did!

The pirates forum is not only about pirates.

The description on the EB-main forum is:

Discuss pirate, colonial history, Napoleonic Wars, Mesoamerican civilisations (Aztec, Maya, Inca, etc) and the Age of Sail themes here!

But putting all that info in the name would be too long, so its just called "Pirates forum" :-D

This ship can have sails and even without them it could fit under "Colonial history".

I'm very happy you did!

The pirates forum is not only about pirates.

The description on the EB-main forum is:

But putting all that info in the name would be too long, so its just called "Pirates forum" :-D

This ship can have sails and even without them it could fit under "Colonial history".

Perhaps, but like you said, the description is:

Discuss pirate, colonial history, Napoleonic Wars, Mesoamerican civilisations (Aztec, Maya, Inca, etc) and the Age of Sail themes here!

I believe this ships belongs to the Age of Steam, and putting that into the Pirate Forum descrpition would be quite historically unaccurate.

But like Mr Bonaparte, I'm also happy you posted it in here!

Mr Tiber

Ah, what an extraordinarily creative ship. Red seems to be popular these days, which I don't mind. It's nice to see you channel your building skills toward smaller ships, just to change things up a bit and whatnot. My favorite parts of the ship are the bow railing, the "engine", the sidewheels (I guess?), and the rear railing. --So pretty much the entire thing. :)

Keep on building. *y*

A bit. Although the analogy is not quite right, as the car almost certainly generated the power for the battery in the first place. Possibly more like coasting downhill, but again, not quite right either.

Errrr... What about... Its benefitial for houses to recieve electricity from both the main power grid and a solar power panel? X-D