C0zmic

LEGOLAND non-production parts

Whoa, those look awesome! Is that one on the left Flame Yellowish Orange/Bright Light Orange/"Keetorange"?

Yep, bright light orange. They do make a nice pair!

Oh, nice! My beautiful brick separator collection suddenly feels incomplete. Well, off to bricklink THIRTY FIVE BUCKS NO MY COLLECTION'S JUST FINE THANK YOU

Edited by Space Police XVIII

All I have managed to find is a single 2x3 in trans yellow. Can't build much with that...

Build a micro Galaxy Explorer. :laugh:

Edited by splatman

Maybe you might want to trade it in the Future?

I'd kill to be able to trade in the Future. Are you thinking about hooking up with mpfirnhaber in 2019? I'll be right there in either LA, or if I get the money, in the Off-world colonies ...

Yeah, I do know what a turtle is :wink:

Over and out

Ole/1974

Glow in the dark isn't exactly a typical prototype color - do you know anything about where it came from and what it was meant to be used for?

I would be more inclined to call it non-production than prototype. I bought it from a BL seller in Germany who sells a lot of parts in unusual colors. I'm guessing he has a connection to a model shop or similar source. I don't know much more than that.

I just missed out on a red chain. I hope to get another chance, I would love to add one to my collection.

I came back from Legoland Billund a few days ago and didn't see any parts in previously unreleased colours. That said, I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of all LEGO parts and didn't have access to the net, so could easily have missed some.

Yes, your collection has many "true" prototypes parts that were never sold in sets in any colors at all. But we're talking about the other thing you mentioned - the making of red parts to try new molds and check for faults. These red parts are commonly referred to as "prototypes".

The question we are wondering about is - are my red parts actually mold tests, or are they just red parts that were made for model builders, or for sets that were never released?

I wonder where that idea about red parts even came from? Is it the truth, or just a fan theory? It doesn't explain other colors, like black and trans-clear ghost shrouds, or blue cats and pteranodons. There's a lot of weird colored stuff out there, and a lot of it happens to be red, so who knows...

I do believe that red parts were made for testing out new molds. But since so many parts of recent vintage come out in other colors, it does make you wonder if that is really true.

Here is a 1955-70 (part 820 on Bricklink) garage baseplate. This was produced in red and white from 1955-57 for sale to the public in sets 1235 and 1236 in Denmark, Norway and Sweden only, but these had no "LEGO" on the studs. After 1957 they were produced only in white until 1966 (325 Shell Station Set) when gray ones were also introduced (and later found in 235/236 garage kits/sets). The LEGO logo on the studs was introduced in late 1950s (after the older molds without LEGO on the studs were finally worn out).

So this part with LEGO on the studs should only be found in either white or gray. But here we have one in red. This was never re-introduced in any set in this color, and that points to this example as being a red test strike for a new mold.

29485548772_04fde8167e_b.jpg

This part is unknown in any other color.

Also known in red are the Esso Service freestanding sign (no ESSO decal), and gas pumps base, neither of which was ever found in any set.

So I would say.... YES... red parts were produced as test strikes. But there is no way to tell the difference between a test strike piece, and a red one that was just produced for trial as a part needed either for the Model Shops, or as a potential part for a set that never was introduced.

Edited by LEGO Historian