SkaForHire

(RESULTS)The Great Mitgardia / Kaliphlin Naval Arms Race (Contest)

Perhaps a strange question, but are there something like guidelines on ship ame designations. You know, the prefixes modern day navies use like USS, HMS etc...

Perhaps a strange question, but are there something like guidelines on ship ame designations. You know, the prefixes modern day navies use like USS, HMS etc...

I doubt it (without knowing). But since Historica is pretty much medieval you could do it Viking style with names like "The Long Serpent" (Ormr hinn langi) of Ólafr Tryggvason and such. He also had a ship called the Crane (Tranan) and the Short Serpent (Ormr hinn skammi).

Edited by Sigolf Brimabane

Roighto, so need to call my ship the MRN (Midgardian Royal navy) Floating Brick Concoction or something then ;-)

Roighto, so need to call my ship the MRN (Midgardian Royal navy) Floating Brick Concoction or something then ;-)

MRN actually sounds (a bit like a disease, but) great x) So if there isn't already such a ship naming thing, MRN would be cool. The MRN Dragon or MRN Mitgard :P

I am not sure Royal works, since Mitgardia isn't technically a kingdom unto itself; but, it could be remnants from an earlier age I suppose. R could stand for Regional navy, as in Mitgardia Regional Navy.

I am not sure Royal works, since Mitgardia isn't technically a kingdom unto itself; but, it could be remnants from an earlier age I suppose. R could stand for Regional navy, as in Mitgardia Regional Navy.

What about the Mitgardian provincial navy or the Mitgardian Navy?

My ships are called "Rose of Asgard" (Asgard is the Nordic paradise) and "Arandela Negra" (Black Swallow), so no HMS, USS, SMS or whatever, medieval ships often had rather private names, my first cog was called "Lady Emma of Valholl" other typical names were Wappen von Lübeck (Sigil of Lübeck) or Santa whatever, hope this helps

I was just wondering if there was an actual naming convention. My build will be called the `Mandalay`, formerly known as the kaliphim vessel `Desert Snake`, a commandeered blockade runner.

I`m just trying to figure out how to build decent `brick build` sails, as I don`t think the munchkin will allow it if I stole borrowed his pirate ship cloth sails of his lego sets

I`m just trying to figure out how to build decent `brick build` sails, as I don`t think the munchkin will allow it if I stole borrowed his pirate ship cloth sails of his lego sets

I have some quite nice ones made but they are really heavy and pull the mast over!

:laugh:

making sails is actually rather easy. You take an old t-shirt or a cotton grocery bag, dye it in coffee and cut a sail from it, as I did with the sails of my flagship:

dsc_0347.jpg

I have a bunch of sail cloth I got years ago from a craft store, it is fairly inexpensive. That is how I put the sail on the Loki. I usually try to cut them in a trapezoid, but often medieval ships had actual "square" square sails, so I think anything goes. The lanteen (triangular) sail is actually less common in the medieval ships, but would make sense with Kaliphlin's Arabic-like background.

So far my ship is going great but I've been getting so much homework there's no time to work on it :cry_sad:

My cog is all built. Now I just have to find time to take some pictures...

That sound great MK, slowly but surely trying to become the next mocing machine, aren't you ...

that totally depends on the shields you are using, I'd have several ideas in mind

Expecting an eBay order today or tomorrow with some shields and new figs, so the Bay of Storms cog Eikmarr will soon be afloat! (I hope, been struggling to find build time this week).

That sound great MK, slowly but surely trying to become the next mocing machine, aren't you ...

Honestly, I've been carried away by the story that goes along with my builds. I want to continue the story, which means more builds :grin: Churning out the MOCs is just a nice side-effect.

that totally depends on the shields you are using, I'd have several ideas in mind

I'm using these and I want them two studs apart from each other, and I don't want the gunwale to be broader thicker than one stud:

2958pb08.jpg

Yes, Bricklink is probably the best way to get what you want, unless you can find it in a Lego Store on the PAB wall. When you are searching, I usually search by store location after I narrow down the part, because the shipping can be pretty high internationally.

@Sigolf: Now, that should be easy. You can simply use those technic pins that are half round pin and half technic axle. You put the the round end into a one hole technic brick and stick the shields to the other side.

@TUB: you wanna make sure your parents allow you to trade via bricklink!

@Sigolf: Now, that should be easy. You can simply use those technic pins that are half round pin and half technic axle. You put the the round end into a one hole technic brick and stick the shields to the other side.

I've tried that and although it kind of works, the technic pin sticks out a bit too far... I'll try it and see how it looks with more shields.