Rufus

News The LEGO Movie: 70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow

I'm not really that enamored with it. It's kind of a bummer actually, that Benny's spaceship is a really awesome classic space styled set, and the pirates throwback is.. this short, stubby, overly tall and overly steampunked monstrosity. I could see getting it for parts, but not for $250.

Interesting idea. I haven't seen the movie so I don't know how accurate it is. It has done stream punk goodness in it, but I'd avoid it only for the cost. Too many other good sets this year to even consider this.

It looks like all of the maps are stickers, unfortunately. I thought I saw the delineation between tile and sticker.

Is queasykitty sand green? I could use some of those pieces from her if they are.

So any idea when its gonna be available for VIP members? I know it say March in the photo, but in the event calendar it says feb 17, I also called the lego store in my place and its weird coz last week they said there gonna sell it feb 17, and now theye are saying they cant say anything about it? :hmpf_bad:

Is queasykitty sand green? I could use some of those pieces from her if they are.

Queasy Kitty is mostly Sand Green, with some Olive Green and Spring Yellowish Green details. It's a very sickly color scheme, so I guess it works perfectly for its subject!

This is the most steampunk-ish set we've ever gotten, what with all the pipes and valves and propellers. Maybe if it sells well enough, it'll pave the way for a full steampunk theme at some point!

6 working cannons! Haha finally, first time since Black Sea's Barracuda does LEGO give us enough cannons to man both sides of the ship. It'll only cost us 250 USD too! lol

That's just weird. I figured this had been officially released for a couple of weeks now at least, because I saw it with my own eyes on the shelves at my local toy store last Monday. And they're not connected to any major toy chain, so they're normally a bit late with new sets, especially D2C ones.

I dont usually buy anything else apart from the star wras theme but this set is really awesome and could be the exception. I love its wackiness and unusual shape. Price is a bit steep but who knows it might be discounted on May 4th.

But does Benny really come with a broken helmet?

I don't think its broken but its probably a molded broken helmet, since he is like that in the movie.

The Sea Cow is magnificent, with such intricate detail! It looks like a real pain to build : ) , and I loves me some painfully detailed builds! I can't get over the detailing in the captain's quarters alone. The price is a bit of a turn-off though. I was thinking that The Simpson's House is priced at $200, and it's a licensed set. The price:piece is about $0.12. Looking at The Sea Cow, it's about $0.10. So, it looks like The Sea Cow is a bargain, relatively speaking. I don't care for the micro managers, and I'd gladly trade off those for a lower price. But, it is what it is. Me and the kids are gonna make our monthly pilgrimage to the Lego Store and see this set up close up before I commit to it.

Ah, who am I kidding? This is gonna make one helluva birthday present!

Happy b-day to me!

Actually, the Simpsons house is more of a bargain, as it's $.08 per piece, not .12.

Creative and a lot of detail added into the model.

But, wow...$250! I'm going to pass on this set for that high of a price. It's higher than the Simpsons House

As cool as it looks, I simply can't afford it. Definitely thinking about grabbing Benny off of eBay or Bricklink to help satisfy my craving for Spaceship, Spaceship, Spaceship.

...it will probably be way to expensive for my parents to let me buy it...

I'm 42 and I'm thinking the same thing - they would whack me over the head if I was willing to pay the asking price for this "thing". I love pirates but this looks like some kid on acid put it together. I don't doubt it's a fun build but it is just a bit too whacky and out of proportion (I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be very sea-worthy) for my taste and way too expensive to buy simply for parts.

I'm definitely not interested in paying $250 for a pure parts pack.

I agree with whomever it was that pointed out it's a children's set with an adult price tag. I'm sure kids will be entertained by this, but not many parents will shell out that kind of money for it.

Most of these Lego Movie sets have been very disappointing. When the theme was first announced, I was hoping we'd see some really awesome new sets in old themes that would actually go well with the old sets. They had such a great opportunity. It's especially disappointing that Benny's helmet is broken and his torso has the scratched-paint look. TLG has never made me want to cry and puke simultaneously before now.

Many kids will drive their parents deeper into the financila crisis with this set.

The euro price is ridiculous. Setting up a transfer with someone in the US might be profitable (as the dollar prize is 182 euro's when converted directly).

Set looks great, pretty movie accurate.

At jodawill: it is how Benny looks in the movie, so the fig is movie accurate.

Actually, the Simpsons house is more of a bargain, as it's $.08 per piece, not .12.

Whoops! My apologies.

Say, even though this set is from The Lego Movie, does Lego have to pay Warner Bros. for licensing? If the studio had a hand in developing the models, I would imagine they would like their slice of the pie when it comes to $$$ made on sets based on the movie. The Sea Cow price per piece ratio is actually $0.09 per piece using correct math (again, my apologies). I guess I'm trying to rationalize spending $250 on a Lego pirate ship. Even when I bought POTC's The Queen Anne's Revenge, I got it for $80 at my local Walmart when they were clearing the shelves.

On the other hand, I love steam punk design. This is cartooney steam punk, but The Sea Cow is visually appealing to me because of it being so wonky.

Edited by Colossus