eurotrash

PTC - eurotrash/Oirad 72

[pid][/pid] 245D

Team eurotrash/Oirad 72 are proud to present their combined ex-pat Brit/Italian entry to the Pirate Teamwork Competition.

We decided to go for a set-based approach - something that Lego could produce, sets with playability and strength and we agreed to update the classic Pirate feel. So, strap your Parrot to your shoulder, shiver your timbers and please enjoy our contributions - The Slippery Eel Tavern and Fort Degas.

The Slippery Eel Tavern by Oirad 72

This notorious Tavern is set on a busy Jetty. It's a den of thieves and cutthroats and any Redcoat that wanders down here better be on the lookout.

12543069923_237e26b9cb_z.jpg

The set comes complete with a rowboat, cargo-crane and Mermaid.

12543436284_6ef77005f1_z.jpg

Inside the Tavern there's a fully equipped bar area, steps up to the second floor storage room and a doorway through to the upper deck. But it looks like a junior Redcoat is questioning the Innkeeper "What do you know about smuggling?", he's asking.

12543089723_efe81d2b7a_z.jpg

But the Innkeeper is afraid and has pulled the pin, the trapdoor opens and the Redcoat tumbles into the mouth of the waiting crocodile!

12543437124_f87f17c7a0_z.jpg

The upper deck and crane with some very effective textures and colors on the wall.

12543437884_0e4906438d_z.jpg

The locating Technic pins that enable the two sets to be combined.

12543445394_9e213820a6_z.jpg

Fort Degas by eurotrash

This set comes complete with a Seagull stolen from the Parisian Restaurant.

12542883615_0d43262b16_c.jpg

It attached to the Tavern via the Technic pins in the Jetty and hidden in the rock. It has open backed access to the Entrance Room, Hall, Dungeon and Tower. And the roof comes off for additional access.

12542888255_6ae0c79119_c.jpg

"This Rock wall is interesting. I wonder what's behind here"

12542882125_7937d8032b_c.jpg

"Get in the Dungeon you Pirate scum"

12543386034_d7aa920dc0_c.jpg

"But don't worry - I'll set you free!"

12543387454_605fba9538_c.jpg

Here's a short youtube video showing the mechanics for opening the Treasure cave and removing the Dungeon wall.

Thanks for reading. We hope you enjoyed our entry!

eurotrash/ Oirad 72

Very nice entry! Good luck in the competition. I really like all the little details.

Andy D

Nicely done, it reminds me a bit of the Lagoon lock up set, I love that hidden cave entrance.

Good luck pirate_classic.gif .

They are very different buildings but I could see them being in the same town. That sliding passage rock wall is really fun. I wondered why the floor by the passage was yellow? The fort looks a bit bare inside, maybe it could get some furniture? But all the details on the outside of it look really good.

Edited by Cara

I wondered why the floor by the passage was yellow?

It's a beach!

Will Turner stole the rowboat from The Slippery Eel Tavern and has used it to access the Treasure Cave via the beach.... pirate_classic.gif

12590284754_6552bb7cc8_c.jpg

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Great work on both creations! I really do like all the features that you guys put into them! pirate_satisfied.gif

Two very nice builds and great consistency. From the perspective of the rules which state that you're designing sets that Lego might produce both builds look like they'd pass the technical review in as much as they look like instructions could be provided to actually build them and there are no obvious illegal connections.

The second build would have looked much nicer if you had utilised a blue baseplate rather than plating over a green baseplate; I assume you didn't have access to the relevant part so it's an understandable compromise that we amateur builders all have to make.

Some simple but well executed ideas for play features. Is there enough room to easily allow a minifig to slide beneath the tavern or into the goal and for little hands to easily be able to retrieve the minifig?

Interesting buildings. Nice job. I really like the coloring on the second one.

How did the hooks get attached to the rod in the first picture? The gentleman in the back is carrying two buckets via hooks. Is that glued on or are there holes big enough to accommodate that? I'd love to make a more accurate cane for Riddler.

Interesting buildings. Nice job. I really like the coloring on the second one.

How did the hooks get attached to the rod in the first picture? The gentleman in the back is carrying two buckets via hooks. Is that glued on or are there holes big enough to accommodate that? I'd love to make a more accurate cane for Riddler.

Hi! Thank you for your comment. It's a rigid hose, whose hole is big enough to accomodate the hooks. No glue used.

Two very nice builds and great consistency. From the perspective of the rules which state that you're designing sets that Lego might produce both builds look like they'd pass the technical review in as much as they look like instructions could be provided to actually build them and there are no obvious illegal connections.

The second build would have looked much nicer if you had utilised a blue baseplate rather than plating over a green baseplate; I assume you didn't have access to the relevant part so it's an understandable compromise that we amateur builders all have to make.

Some simple but well executed ideas for play features. Is there enough room to easily allow a minifig to slide beneath the tavern or into the goal and for little hands to easily be able to retrieve the minifig?

Hi and thank you! Yes there is enough space to play. About the crocodile trap: it s easily useable by kids as well

In one of the earlier iterations of Fort Degas there was more of an island feel to it with beaches on three sides and the green base worked well, but the idea of a cave with a hidden mechanism meant that the island had to go. I had to use what I had available.

Is there enough room to easily allow a minifig to slide ....into the goal and for little hands to easily be able to retrieve the minifig?

The trap door into the dungeon is a 2 x 5 hole and minifigs easily slide into that gap and to remove the minifig you simply remove the detachable panel at the rear. I designed the playability around my own fat-fingers so I don't think kids will have a problem at all.

Thanks for all the feedback - it's been a challenging, but fun competition!

Good entry guys!

The modular aspect is simple yet works perfectly just like the official Modular buildings do. I can easily imagine expanding the sides to add more buildings in order to form a complete harbor/sea front.