Sign in to follow this  
Methos

Any issues with posting LDD Models based on real life structures?

Is there any problems or issues if I were to post a model I created in LDD that is based on a real life structure?

I don't wanna violate any rules here so I'm asking first.

I generally can't see any problem with posting real life structures. But I guess it depends on what it is. What kind of structure are you thinking about?

Just an unusual styled house from a European architectural firm. The model is about 95% done and I will finish it 1st, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to step on any proverbial toes. I've read the rules and I couldn't find and didn't find anything saying no it cant be posted. I just wanted to ask for clarification.

Shouldn't be a problem. Go ahead and post.

Please note though that general, MOCs should be posted in the respective theme forum here at Eurobricks. The DD forum is mostly for discussing questions, techniques and possibilities with digital tools (LDD, Ldraw etc). However, sometimes we allow MOCs here too if they are of an interest to other digital builders, but then normally we ask you to share the source file too. If you don't want to do that (which is completely OK), then I propose posting in the theme forums.

No, of course the source file will be posted. My Originality is a bit lacking, I have always been the improver type. If anyone can improve on mine, I encourage it so long as improvements are shared.

I made a model of an iconic building in my hometown (The Dickens Opera House) and received only praise for it. The owners (after having seen the model) even supplied me with their graphics files to make the sign for the building to really authenticate it.

Actual building the model will be hard it currently over 5200+ pieces. To make the colour accurate, pieces used cannot be procured in that colour. So building it IRL will be difficult to say the least.

I am not a lawyer, but as long as the EU is concerned, please do have a look at the Directive on the harmonisation of certain aspects of copyright and related rights in the information society (Directive 2001/29/EC). It is the european equivalent of the DCMA and says:

[...]

CHAPTER II

RIGHTS AND EXCEPTIONS

Article 2

Reproduction right

Member States shall provide for the exclusive right to authorise or prohibit direct or indirect, temporary or permanent reproduction by any means and in any form, in whole or in part [...]

Article 3

Right of communication to the public of works and right of making available to the public other subject-matter

1. Member States shall provide authors with the exclusive right to authorise or prohibit any communication to the public of their works, by wire or wireless means, including the making available to the public of their works in such a way that members of the public may access them from a place and at a time individually chosen by them.

[...]

Article 5

Exceptions and limitations

[...]

3. Member States may provide for exceptions or limitations to the rights provided for in Articles 2 and 3 in the following cases:

[...]

(h) use of works, such as works of architecture or sculpture, made to be located permanently in public places;

(i) incidental inclusion of a work or other subject-matter in other material;

(j) use for the purpose of advertising the public exhibition or sale of artistic works, to the extent necessary to promote the event, excluding any other commercial use;

(k) use for the purpose of caricature, parody or pastiche;

[...]

(m) use of an artistic work in the form of a building or a drawing or plan of a building for the purposes of reconstructing the building;

[...]

This is called Freedom of panorama. While this directive allows the member states to include such a clause in their national copyright laws, it does not require them to do so. Depending on the respective jurisdiction it thus may be legal to depict a building, or doing so may infringe the national copyright laws. I guess the laws of France, Belgium, Italy and Greece do not have a freedom of panorama-clause, while most other european countries allow the depiction of the exterior view of works of architecture.

So if you are really uncertain, ask your local copyright lawyer for legal advice :tongue: .

But even in countries where the freedom of panorama is granted, anti-terror laws may limit the depiction of public places. For example, section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000 of the UK was used multiple times to stop and search people taking photos of public places, without any suspicion that something illegal was committed. So if you are planning to post a model of an airport or something similar, you should be sure that no terrorist may use your model as a blueprint for an attack: Don't use a scale of 1:1 ... :sarcasm:.

Actual building the model will be hard it currently over 5200+ pieces. To make the colour accurate, pieces used cannot be procured in that colour. So building it IRL will be difficult to say the least.

I deal with that aspect almost every build. My Dickens model was over 4000 pieces, and I had to come up with creative ways to make the bricks work in the colors available.

LDD certainly is useful for creating a large MOC. I am trying to build a modular MOC that will have 5 levels, probably in excess of 8000 pieces. I do not have a lot of spare bricks lying around, therefore there is not really much of a chance to use my own bricks for trial and error to see if the structure works. My design is also based on a real building. My hope is to bring the competed MOC to the actual building and get a few photos of both of them.

Without LDD, I would have never thought to try and do this. With a limited budget, I have to be sure that any part ordered will be used in the project.

[...] there is not really much of a chance to use my own bricks for trial and error to see if the structure works [...]

Bear in mind that LDD is unable to show how clutch power and various stresses act on a construction, so it's always good to refine the design in LDD alongside building some components seperately, to test their physical strength. It could be something big like a cantilever floor, or as in one of my own examples: a car that flexed too much in the middle, because the chassis depended on a single 2x14 plate for its base (sorted by "laminating" it with another one on top).