pillpod

MOC Mini Modular: Castle

Hello again.

I just completed my latest moc mini modular. It's a castle! Some features you'll see include a moat, drawbridge, alligator, and four cannons! Any comments, questions, or suggestions are appreciated.

12228745953_72f259a975_z.jpg

12228568775_1659e64b9f_z.jpg

As always, you can see more photos on my flickr. Thanks for taking the time to look. I hope you like it!

Cool flags on top and use of blue cheese for diamond at middle. Very neat design! Are the cannons loaded?

The standard mini-modular 8x8 makes it a bit limited, so I think you should make a "full sized" castle using this technique, but space the towers out a bit. That would do it better justice I think.

I don't like the flag though, it seems a bit too big for the size of everything else. I'd prefer it a single stud height, but then you lose your wavy look.

Good work over all. I like the walls, turrets and entrance.

@Legogal: Thanks! You better believe they're loaded!

@Artanis I: Thanks for the feedback. I'd been debating whether a castle was viable at this scale for a while. I thought I found a suitable architecture for the 8x8 scale. I'd love to make a full size castle but one of the reasons I make mini mods is lower piece count = less money :classic:

Nice! Considering the tight space, you managed to make a believable and raher impressive castle with lots od detail. The cannon are, though very simple, very nice.

I'm not too fond of that flag either, but there aren't a lot of alternatives if you want a wavy effect. I do like the dawbridge and the gate very much, but maybe you could add some droid arms to connect the drawbridge with the bar higher up in the castle. Also, you could use a black lattice part that fits into that window piece, if you want a really secure castle (though that alligator is already a very good protection!)

Keep those great mini modulars coming! Was this a thing of one time, or are you planning to make more historically themed ones?

@BEAVeR: I went through a couple of different flag ideas. I figured it I'd rather have it be a little to big then to look like the little one on the Fire Brigade mini.

As to your question about this being a one time thing: initially it seems so...unless you have some other historically themed ideas? I'm all ears!

I'm not a huge fan of microscale (other than the Minecraft sets :wink: ) but this is one lovely model!

@BEAVeR: I went through a couple of different flag ideas. I figured it I'd rather have it be a little to big then to look like the little one on the Fire Brigade mini.

I understand you're concern. Maybe you could try something else than plates. I was thinking about tooth or claw pieces or so...

As to your question about this being a one time thing: initially it seems so...unless you have some other historically themed ideas? I'm all ears!

Some ideas? Well, how about a cathedral or church, a town gate, a belfry or even a ruin?

i like the use of 1x3 archs and 1x1 connecters. Might wanna updgrade base size though.