Sign in to follow this  
Norrington

"Dead Men Tell No Tales" Vignette Contest - Discussion

Just look at my basic ride overveiw or search for pics on the internet. Also Mr. Scouts, Just because I am a judge dosn't mean I'll favor myself, infact, I bet Mr. Brickster would do beter than me if he enters. Also, all the entries will be in 3 polls, so you could vote for the same one in 3 different categories, like your magnificant knight contest.

Also Mr. Scouts, Just because I am a judge dosn't mean I'll favor myself, infact, I bet Mr. Brickster would do beter than me if he enters. Also, all the entries will be in 3 polls, so you could vote for the same one in 3 different categories, like your magnificant knight contest.

I think it's having your favorite Top 5 that might be throwing some. But if that's just your pics and no vote on them, it's not an issue. - I understand what your wanting to do.

I doubt I'll do better than you. My pirate bricks/sets are very limited. In addition, you're a much bigger fan of the theme than I.

DARN: somewhere in my garage in one of numerous unpacked boxes, I have an old Pirates of the Carribean book that I picked up in Disneyland many years ago. I was just looking for it a few weeks ago, and could not find. It would really help for visuals.

Maybe, but you have many more years of experience with Lego than I do. And yes, I am a hardcore fan of this theme, scince I was 5, and went on the PotC at Walt Disney World. I'm going to the DisneyLand version this summer because the Florida version is abridges, and left out most of the Grotto, the Arsenal, and a cuple other scenes.

Edit: Just saw the thing about the ride book, it dosn't happen to be called: "Pirates of the Caribbean; from the Magic Kingdom to the Movies"? If so I have it, my dad picked it up for me on a buisness trip to califronia where he stayed at the Disney Hotel. Or maybe it was the "Pirates of the Caribbean Suviner Book" from the 60's...

I think it's having your favorite Top 5 that might be throwing some. But if that's just your pics and no vote on them, it's not be an issue. - I understand what your wanting to do.

It was the Top 5 thing that was worrying me. And I never said that you'd favor yourself.

But now I see what you're doing. :capn:

Like I said before, I can't enter because I'm far to busy with some other projects. :-( .

Like I said before, I can't enter because I'm far to busy with some other projects. :-( .

Oh: you need to enter IS. You've got that outstanding avatar. You couldn't pass up a chance to build a neat MOC and share it, could you?

Of course I know that they did! I mentioned it in my 3rd post of the thread.

So you did.

We're going to have to create a new thread for this competition because this one has become more of a discussion than a contest, but thats ok - threads are free!

Maybe we should try to spread the message more... Maybe someone should start a thread on CC? Or even a section in the MOCpages...

I have already contacted Maedhros and asked whether this competition would interest the Classic-Castle users but he hasn't replied yet.

It will be up to you Mr Norrington, to promote your competition. Just don't do anything that could be considered spam.

Well, I allready sent him a PM, but might as well do it myself too just incase he dosn't get the message.

You might also like to upload the Title Graphic to your Brickshelf folders since it has the URLs to both Eurobricks and Classic-Pirates.

That way someone browsing Brickshelf may also find it.

It doesn't cost money to register to use the LUGNET message board, which is a common misassumption many make (including myself). You only need to pay if you want to use the other features.

So you can register freely, but it may take a couple of days.

Hmmm... Well, I did the Brickshelf thing, but it'll be a week at least before it's moderated. I added a folder with my Torso designs more than 3 weeks ago, and it's still not moderated. Maybe I'll try the Lugnet thing again. Edit: Where's the free membership thing? Help is appreciated thanks.

Well, the purpose of the contest is to give credit to the original Pirates of the Caribbean ride, which inspired the movies. The main reason thugh, is because PotC was Walt Disney's last attraction that he worked on before he passed away in 1967, and this year is Walt's 100th birthday.

Ok I keep seeing this and it irked me, so i have to point it out, Walt was 105 years old this past December. Otherwise, can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

Hmmm... Well, I did the Brickshelf thing, but it'll be a week at least before it's moderated. I added a folder with my Torso designs more than 3 weeks ago, and it's still not moderated. Maybe I'll try the Lugnet thing again. Edit: Where's the free membership thing? Help is appreciated thanks.

I'm not familiar with Brickshelf so it would be best if you asked Mr Norro.

Ok I keep seeing this and it irked me, so i have to point it out, Walt was 105 years old this past December. Otherwise, can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

Yeah, that irks me too. Norrington should have research first and now I'm just going to remove the reference to Walt Disney altogether because:

a) He'd be 106 this year which is not a milestone birthday (he was born December 5, 1901)

b) His birthday isn't until December.

I'm not familiar with Brickshelf so it would be best if you asked Mr Norro.

Yeah, that irks me too. Norrington should have research first and now I'm just going to remove the reference to Walt Disney altogether because:

a) He'd be 106 this year which is not a milestone birthday (he was born December 5, 1901)

b) His birthday isn't until December.

well actually he would be 105 since he hasn't had his b-day yet... and i suppose if you celebrate by fives it is ok to make it a monumental birthday lol... I do think he needs to be mentioned in the contest though, since it was his ride and his heavy hand that provided the guidance to create the ride. The contest is to design something around the ride, so I think it would be fail to call it Walt Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Also technically if we want to celebrate something with this contest, than how about the 40th anniversary of the ride at Disneyland. It was debuted March 18th, 1967. We just missed that by a month.

I meant he'd be 106 in December this year, not that he currently is 106 (assuming that he was alvie of course).

That aside I've already removed any Walt Disney references in the competition documentation. I did that as soon as you pointed out the error yesterday.

I take it the contest is open for entries now I can post in it? I just got a new camera and took all my pictures for the contest and I'm eager to post 'em.

edit: YOu posted at the same time as me... :-)

Yes, the contest is open for entries just like the thread states. I've revised the post just in case it wasn't clear enough...

I'll nitpick and say that the town scene is a little mixed up, but that's okay. I love the cap'n's qaurters, very inventive take on it. I might try to construct a Cap'n's qaurters scene later...

I'll nitpick and say that the town scene is a little mixed up, but that's okay. I love the cap'n's qaurters, very inventive take on it. I might try to construct a Cap'n's qaurters scene later...

I will too, but I haven't been on the POTC California so it may be different, but the dunking scene is approached from the other side in Florida, as you round the ramparts the dunking scene is on your right. BUT, its pretty awesome anyway... so kudos. I like the captain quarters, but I have never seen the scene with my own eyes, so I can just admire its construction. Again good job.

I also enjoyed Norrington's chase scene, and how it was the "classic" version... Just wondering though, do they not chase through the buildings in California? in Florida the chasers are all on balconies in the buildings.

How are we judging these, is it an open poll later? or is it a set of judges, and how do i get on the panel? :P I don't have time to create any of my own I don't think. (Nor the available pieces ATM) So I would love to be a judge.

Two questions/suggestions:

1. Is there a limit on the size? I note you mention vignettes, but it appears the entries do not fit the classic (8x8) definition of vignette... Or are you just going for the best renditions of the ride?

2. Perhaps you could talk the admins into giving the winner a special banner on his profile, as a prize?

Steve

Yeah, I know it's a little messy, but I wanted to stuff in all I could in a , what is it, 16x 32 baseplate. Carlos being dunked is what I wanted to focus on, so I did. Then the building is on fire (which lights up). Then I wanted to put in a little marketplace, which houses a lady hitting a rogue pirate with a broom. Then, of course the pirate drinking on the bridge: that's classic. I think you did that, too Norrington. Then just a wall with ivy. I agree, it's not 100% accurate, but it gets some good aspects of the ride. I was also very pleased with the captain's quarters, the oriental rug on the grouns, a canopy and sheets. Again, not 100% accurate, but it looks good to me! :)