Andy D

Older Than Dirt!

Re Erector sets

For those who remember them. There was their biggest set, it came in a large red metal chest and had a 110 volt motor, gears etc. Well one Christmas I got one from my father. The next day we went to see my uncle and lo and behold another red chest. You cannot believe what stuff I built in the next few years.

Guess I'd better join. I'm 64 and currently building the BWE. I had Meccano (UK, and the original,  Erector) when young, and still have some now as well as Lego.

This year I also started a Bricklink shop as a retirement 'hobby' but it's now taking more time than building

Wow! Lots of new members. I am glad to see all the more mature LEGO builders stepping forward. We are a growing group.

Does anyone have a count of how many OTD badges have been issued?

As for the Erector sets... I don't remember the AC powered ones, but I had a huge set (or two).  Plastic LEGO much safer for today's builders.

Andy D

Apparently I watched England win the World Cup in 1966, although I don't remember because I was only a few weeks old. That does however make me old enough to join this exclusive club. May I have a badge?

On 11/1/2016 at 4:12 PM, berrys66 said:

Apparently I watched England win the World Cup in 1966, although I don't remember because I was only a few weeks old. That does however make me old enough to join this exclusive club. May I have a badge?

Heck I'm old enough to remember watching it (well not actually watching cos only the men were allowed, us girls were making cakes and sandwiches)

On October 17, 2016 at 6:10 AM, quilkin said:

This year I also started a Bricklink shop as a retirement 'hobby' but it's now taking more time than building

That'll teach you to start a business after retiring ;);) I hope it is a fun hobby.

Welcome to the OTD club! 

Also welcome to all the other new members, good to see our ranks growing!

and thanks to Fugazi for following this thread and continuing to badge new member requests.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I watched the first moonlanding! As a baby of just over a month old ;-)

I have grandchildren (grandpa at age 40, who would have thought?). I am grumpy most of the times. My oldest piece of Lego is only about 12 years older than me. I have grey hair.

Does that qualify me for the Old Fogies OTD badge?

3 hours ago, Gooikes said:

I watched the first moonlanding! As a baby of just over a month old ;-)

I have grandchildren (grandpa at age 40, who would have thought?). I am grumpy most of the times. My oldest piece of Lego is only about 12 years older than me. I have grey hair.

Does that qualify me for the Old Fogies OTD badge?

You're 47.  The OTD are 50 and older.

Strange.... This might very well be the first time ever that I am disappointed because I am not old ;-)

18 minutes ago, Gooikes said:

Strange.... This might very well be the first time ever that I am disappointed because I am not old ;-)

Thanks for coming to this thread, but you should embrace your youth.

Come back in 3 years and you will be banged up.  It is surprising and neat that folks are coming back to be badged up. In my mind you and many others are honorary members of the OTD club.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Andy D Hi.

Doug72 here aka "Doug on the Tyne".

I turn 70 yrs in March and have been a Tecnic builder ever since being given the 8725 Bulldozer when it first came out.

Retired in 2001 after serving as a Marine Engineer for 35 years - final 10 years as Chief Engineer of V/ULCC.

Other hobbies are Volunteer Ranger on the UK National Cycle Network, the 72 refers to the Hadrians Cycleway Coast To Coast route that ends where I live in northern England.

How do I get the "Older Than Dirt" badge ?

Edited by Doug72

4 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Andy D Hi.

Doug72 here aka "Doug on the Tyne".

I turn 70 yrs in March and have been a Tecnic builder ever since being given the 8725 Bulldozer when it first came out.

Retired in 2001 after serving as a Marine Engineer for 35 years - final 10 years as Chief Engineer of V/ULCC.

Other hobbies are Volunteer Ranger on the UK National Cycle Network, the 72 refers to the Hadrians Cycleway Coast To Coast route that ends where I leave in northern England.

How do I get the "Older Than Dirt" badge ?

This guy is a genuine older than dirt EB member, can someone please badge him up for he OTD club.

Thanks, 

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

My father (62, worked as a graphic artist at Unversité Laval for 35 years) isn't registered on the forums ( his english skills are sadly not really sharp :wink: ) but he's got quite the Architecture collection, a hobby he picked up when I started collecting SW sets again and showed him the theme. 

He is really hyped for the next Arche de Triomphe and Guggenheim museum sets!

On 19/01/2017 at 11:32 PM, Andy D said:

This guy is a genuine older than dirt EB member, can someone please badge him up for he OTD club.

Thanks, 

Andy D

How do I get my badge ?

Doug72

6 hours ago, Doug72 said:

How do I get my badge ?

Doug72

Looks like you got it! Congratulations!

Andy D

Been away for a while.... when I left, I was younger than dirt.  Now I'm older than dirt, apparently.  51 on Sunday.

Looks like this thread could use a little dusting off. 

I'll be 56 in February and would be proud to have an older than dirt tag. I've certainly paid my dues. 

Ocht! I'm WAY beyond the American definition of old .... at 71.

I actually only started building with Lego two years ago, when I was on the lookout for a new desk-top hobby (computers having left me too far behind). I grew up with Meccano but wanted something a bit more modern. The Mercedes Benz Arocs truck took my fancy and I knew I had found a new passion the moment I started building it. I have since motorised it, thanks to Jurgen, and added an SBrick, then moved on to the 42009 Mobile Crane, the 8043 Ultimate Crawler, plus an MOC Mack Low Loader Artic, all fully motorised and remote controlled.

Running out of good vehicles to build, I moved on to the endless possibilities of GBCs. I have built Akiyuki's Ball Factory (very trying), to which I have added two more loops with his Pneumatic Module and Berthil's Rainbow Wave, plus a 'back-and-forward' tipper track, all on one 45" x 15" base.

I wonder what I'll get up to next!

Edited by SillyOldfart
typos!

7 hours ago, SillyOldfart said:

Ocht! I'm WAY beyond the American definition of old .... at 71.

I actually only started building with Lego two years ago, when I was on the lookout for a new desk-top hobby (computers having left me too far behind). I grew up with Meccano but wanted something a bit more modern. The Mercedes Benz Arocs truck took my fancy and I knew I had found a new passion the moment I started building it. I have since motorised it, thanks to Jurgen, and added an SBrick, then moved on to the 42009 Mobile Crane, the 8043 Ultimate Crawler, plus an MOC Mack Low Loader Artic, all fully motorised and remote controlled.

Running out of good vehicles to build, I moved on to the endless possibilities of GBCs. I have built Akiyuki's Ball Factory (very trying), to which I have added two more loops with his Pneumatic Module and Berthil's Rainbow Wave, plus a 'back-and-forward' tipper track, all on one 45" x 15" base.

I wonder what I'll get up to next!

Welcome SillyOldFart.

How about a motorized LEGO Technic back scratcher?  I have trouble reaching that far back.  :classic:

Mmmm. Have one already - its called "The Wife". :wink:

Seriously, its good to know that this forum is in such regular use, but its a bit worrying when some of the posters are dafter than me!