Posting my first WIP and semiMoc here. This is a pretty strong bridge thats going to be used as a "road" between the different storage units for my sets and mocs. The idea is taken from Ozben and Doc_Brown construction for their Rock Crawler course. The bridge is really strong even without the sides attached to it.

Had no more parts in red so i might have to make it yellow or bricklink some more liftarms. Also need more of the 3L blue pins as you said Doc_Brown. Had to steal some from some other sets :P

Pictures so far:

http://skriblez.com/Lego%20technic/Bridge%20MOC/Unimog%20bridge.jpg

http://skriblez.com/Lego%20technic/Bridge%20MOC/9398%20bridge.jpg

http://skriblez.com/Lego%20technic/Bridge%20MOC/Empty%20bridge.jpg

Will post some more pictures when i find some more parts :P

Yeah, make a triangular truss frame (du veit, fagverk) underneath, and see the strength increase tenfold! Also, makes for some good understanding and a little challenge! :wink:

It does look a bit flimsy to me. It needs more support.

H

Yeah, make a triangular truss frame (du veit, fagverk) underneath, and see the strength increase tenfold! Also, makes for some good understanding and a little challenge! :wink:

I agree with this.

H

The old bridge supports from the construction sets would be your friend although only in limited colours

Also, a triangle underneath the track is probably a better option than a triangle above the track, since when the triangle is below the track, the compession is on the track, that has the most material, which gives the least chance of bending the members that are in compression. When building a triangle above the track, the triangular section is in compression, and these are usallly longer members than the track which means you have to take more precautions to prevent them from buckling.

What a little playing of bridge building games can teach a person :D

I played around with a bridge design for trains a while back; I think it could be adapted to supporting your bridge from underneath:

640x360.jpg

Check philo's homepage, he won a bridge design contest some time back. www.philohome.com

Ran out of parts so now i'm wondering what set i can scavenge for some liftarms. Might be the logging truck as it really ain't my fav. big set.

The bridge is sturdy enough to hold the different technic models so far. Bends a little in the middle but nothing major. Have been wondering if i'm going to add a traintrack to the middle a bit lower than the "road" but i will have to see how my setup will be when i get it all in place.

Doc_Brown i think i need to raid some stores for the blue 3L pins :P Man this thing eats them up!

No ZNap parts so that's not going to happen. Don't think you will be subjected to a public flogging as it is a Lego product :)

Hoping i can buy a bunch of beams at the Lego store in AL so that i can finish the bridge in its full length :)

YES don't underestimate the use of pins! You will need a few hundred at least! I brought a big batch of used 3L from BL and some were cracked so watch out! :laugh:

Hehe, i have a couple black 3L pins but i do hope i can buy the blue in bulk at a Lego store along with some beams

Keep running out of parts! I think I made the bridge to long as I never have enough beams these days. Need more red beams! Think I have enough blue 3L pins as I bought a little over 4k of them :p

Seems that my second 8285 is going to the chopshop!

Pics of the progress so far are soon up.

Triangles resist sheering force. If you want to quickly demonstrate the importance of resisting sheer.

1.) Get a shoe box

2.) Hold the lid on top and grab both ends

3.) Twice the ends, notice the box stays a box and is fairly rigid.

4.) Take the lid off the box

5.) Hold the ends and twist again

6.) Notice the box just rips to shreds.

When you have a rectangle in your vertical support, it's like the open top of the shoe box.

When you put a diagonal from corner to corner, and are left with triangles, it's like the shoe box with the top.

I guess some pictures are in order.

Bridge is a bit bendy right when the construction crew is done with the deck and have to move the crane to the other side:

1024x683.jpg

Foreman is in place when the hoisting has begun. He has on the helmet as the crane operator is a bit fast on the controls at times:

1024x683.jpg

As the Dermag isn't done (not even started) yet we needed the help of an old favorite:

1024x683.jpg

Foreman is a bit skeptical to the hoisting operation but so far so good:

1024x1536.jpg

All of them are hiding here in all their pixel glory: http://bricksafe.com...Skriblez/Bridge

Can you name the show on the screen?