That can be a difficult decision indeed. Both have the Technic panels in a quite rare color: metallic silver vs. metallic green. Both have relatively rare wheels, the large offroad tyres vs. the large racing tyres.

Both have realistic suspension and nice technical functions. 8466 has a gearbox, although it is identical to that of 8448, so if you already own 8448 this might not be very interesting. 8466 has all wheel drive. In my opinion 8466's wheel assembly feels a bit flimsy given the huge tyres, because it is connected with the frame with only a few 3 x 3 x 0.5 liftarms. 8458 has an intricate and ingenious suspension system. Also it has the long suspension arms. Also my personal opinion is that 8458 is a better looking model. Also I think the silver panels are easier to combine with other colors than the metallic green panels.

I have to note that I don't own 8458 but I have seen it once at someone else's place.

I'm afraid I can't help you with this decision. It depends on what interests you mosts (parts? model? functions?). I mean, it matter whether you want to build up the model and showcase it, or just build up the model once and then use the parts in MOCs. I also don't know about current pricing for either set. Have you looked up the inventories of both sets yet?

Edited by Erik Leppen

Even though it has less pieces, I'd have to give the edge to the 8466 purely based on the amount of features that it has including a 5 speed transmission with 4 wheel drive and a slick door opening mechanism...

The 8458 set is nice as well and also has IMO a more interesting B-model build and of course Nathanael's Sportscar can be built from it..

Edited by Paul Boratko

Piece wise I’d pick the first one. There’s more and a few “better” pieces in my opinion.

The Offroader easily has more playability and functions. Great Technic set. The F1 racer is good too and like Paul said can be built into an awesome MOC by Mr. Kuipers. :grin:

If you want looks, the get the F1 car, but if you want functionality and good parts, get the off roader.

From a collector stand point, the 8458. From a MOC builder stand point, the 8466. However, if you MOC more "supercars", you might consider the 8458 instead. Personally, 8458. Look at them both side by side. Which one jumps at you. I've seen more 8458 for sale than 8466.

Id say get the silver champion because of the suspention, wheels and body panels and because it has the most amout of parts out of any lego F1 car.and a few technic models.

I own both models, and I prefer the 8466 4x4 Off-Roader....[EDIT] because:

a. The huge "Power Puller"-style balloon tires are useful in Lego Trial Trucks,

b. There is an Offroad Vehicle Park within sight of my house, and I enjoy seeing 4-wheelers playing in the dirt.

8458-1.jpg8466-1.jpg

Edited by DLuders

on the contrary, I would not get either of these, i'd get the williams F1 car because the body panels are more realistic and it has better tires and the car is a better shape, etc

Edited by SNIPE

I have both sets. I enjoy rebuilding the silver champion at least once a year. Takes a few hours and keeps you interested. The b model is cool and nethaniels car is great. There is a great mix of parts to try your hand at creating a chassis of your own. I also like the way the car mixes the studded beams and the stud less system. The only thing I wish it had more of is angled lift arms for creating bodywork. The suspension is much more interesting to build since it is made of separate parts instead of a few special pieces.

That is my opinion.

Steve

I own both models, and I prefer the 8466 4x4 Off-Roader

Surely you're gonna tell us why :wink:

I mean, which you prefer is not going to help the original poster make his decision. However, if you tell us a reason shy you prefer the offroader, this can be of help for the original poster to decide whether your reason applies to him as well :wink:

Edited by Erik Leppen

I think 8466 is a much better model. 8458 is big and looks great but is pretty weak on functionality. I remember buying it as a kid expecting a super car that improved on 8448, and being very disappointed for the price, while 8466 turned out to be just what I wanted.

The suspension is much more interesting to build since it is made of separate parts instead of a few special pieces.

The suspension is fun to build, but doesn't work that well since the shocks are not stiff enough to hold up the model. Although 8466 has that issue too.

Hi,

I am struggling between these sets, just can not decide which one to buy... They are both awesome models. 8258 is still available for ~150 euros as new, and 8421 as second handed from bricklink ~150 e in good condition incl. instructions and box. There is also new misbs but they are unfortunately out of my budget.

So far I have these pros and cons:

8258:

+ looks great

+ big

+ still available in reasonable price

+ xl-motor (i would like to have one)

+ complex design

+ interesting gearbox

+ good source of parts

- no pneumatics

- can't really lift (that's what i read?)

- can't operate the whole boom via gearbox

8421:

+ looks also great (even more massive than 8258)

+ big too

+ good source of parts and it's complex too

+ pneumatics

+ RC-motor (could I use only one in rc-car if I build one, or do I need two?)

+ playable value seems to be a bit higher (better functions)

- have to buy second handed

- pneumatic is not strong enough for the boom(?)

- boom doesn't hold up(?)

- manual turning for the crane

8421 feels a bit more appeal to me at the moment, but it is very hard to made decision. I would love to have them both of course but it is not possible this time. Unimog is also very interesting, but I guess it will be available still 1-2 year so don't have to buy it yet.

Which one do you prefer? Would you buy used 8421 from Bricklink? I would also love to see a photo, where these two models are side by side so I could see their actual difference in size.

Help me please. :)

I think you should by 8258 first, before it becomes unavailable. The price for a second handed 8421 will probably be the same, when you have the money to buy it.

But if you only think about the sets itself I prefer 8421. 8258 is not bad either, I have both.

If you are just looking at both models without considering the price, then the 8421 wins hands down, it is probably the best lego technic set ever made. Although from an economical point of view it is better to get the 8258 before the price goes up.

Well I have both and I'm only half way through building 8421 which I got off my wife for Christmas,it cost €275 misb but I only like new sets,iv a feeling so far that 8421 is much better.

I own both and it's difficult to suggest which one is better for you so i'll just go over some of the pros and cons you already mentioned. You only need one RC motor for an RC car for drive. It is very powerful, according to philos' website it's more powerful than the XL motor because it has a much much higher output speed, over twice as fast as the m-motor, which if geared down efficiently to the same speed as an XL motor should give you roughly the same amount of torque if not even more. The RC motor also give you the added excitement of all those fast spinning gears and so on. The 8258 does indeed have more interesting gear arrangements, sadly it's effect is to move a crane that can lift very little weight only a fairly small distance, but it is still great to see how neatly the crane arm folds up behind the cabin. The double extention of the boom of 8421 is also very impressive and it's boom can lift more weight really high. However due to it's very long length when fully extended, it's lifting capacity is also limited when fully extended. If left up for a long time it will eventually come down. This only really becomes a problem if you wish to display the model with the boom up. However if this is the case then you only have to insert a pin or axle or beam somewhere to prevent it coming down whilst it's sitting on the shelf. The inclusion of pneumatics is great, however you don't get very much tubing. Only the upwards movment of the boom is operated by air pressure, the downwards motion relies on gravity and therefore has no tubing. Whilst it does maintain quite a bit of complexity in it's gear trains, they do not compare to those found in 8258. They both come with a good range of parts and are both very big and impressive looking models and I think you will get lots of joy from either one, 8258 for it's complex gearbox and motorised neatly folding crane arm and 8421 for it's impressive motorised double extending boom and pneumatics.

I think 8421 is a better set, but you can't really compare the prices of new and used sets. As others said, it might make more sense to buy 8258 while it's still available new. 8421's pneumatics are easily strong enough for keeping the boom up though.

Thanks to everyone who comment, special thanks goes to allanp, there was some really good information of these two sets.

So it would be reasonable to pick 8258 first now it's still available, and because 8421 is already too expensive for misb and used sets will be there for a long time. That's how it should go, but... I have made the decision, am going to buy used 8421. For me it seems that it have just a bit more "wow-factor" than in 8258. And I guess you all know the feeling, when you just have to get some specific set.

I'm probably losing opportunity to buy 8258 in new, but I have no big problems to buy second hand sets. I will buy it in some point, wheter it is new or used.

but you can't really compare the prices of new and used sets.

Hmm why not? If I have, let's say 150 € to use, of course I'm comparing the prices of sets wheter they are new or used. New is new, but in some cases 150 € is a better deal from used set than from new, if the set is rare and you want it really bad. But I kind of understand your point here, so no offence.

Edited by Finntech

Thanks to everyone who comment, special thanks goes to allanp, there was some really good information of these two sets.

So it would be reasonable to pick 8258 first now it's still available, and because 8421 is already too expensive for misb and used sets will be there for a long time. That's how it should go, but... I have made the decision, am going to buy used 8421. For me it seems that it have just a bit more "wow-factor" than in 8258. And I guess you all know the feeling, when you just have to get some specific set.

I'm probably losing opportunity to buy 8258 in new, but I have no big problems to buy second hand sets. I will buy it in some point, wheter it is new or used.

Hmm why not? If I have, let's say 150 € to use, of course I'm comparing the prices of sets wheter they are new or used. New is new, but in some cases 150 € is a better deal from used set than from new, if the set is rare and you want it really bad. But I kind of understand your point here, so no offence.

U made the rite choose , 8421 is awsome :) I'm nearly finished mine :)

U made the rite choose , 8421 is awsome :) I'm nearly finished mine :)

And your's is misb, which is great. :) Unfortunately i don't have deep pocket's so mine will be used (in a great condition though). Long wait until it arrives... but I have 8880, 8868, 8297 and 8043 in parts just waiting to get build, so my hands will be busy during waiting. :D