Just found out I have 17 dollars left on an Amazon gift card. Are there any small sets you guys would recommend or should I spend it elsewhere

Edited by Rishab N

Just found out I have 17 dollars left on an Amazon gift card. Are there any small sets you guys would recommend or should I spend it elsewhere

I like the tracked loader (42032), but the new hydroplane racer (42045) is a better parts pack probably, the display jet is a good panel pack (10 white panels for $9.99), and the pullback racers are fun to toy with as well (as in, use the motor as a base for your own pullback MOC), the police pursuit pullback set also has rather interesting tires.

The go-kart (42048) is cool as well, but would require some money added.

TL;DR: Technic is cool, this includes the cheap sets, pick whichever one speaks to you the most!

I can also recommed the pull-back racers. You can do fun stuff with the motor, that you can't do with ordinary small sets.

Oh well, too many legendary sets.... Sounds hard to choose. The only thing that I could say is discard the 42053 because it's the more recent.

But what do you want: a set with great parts pack or a set to be placed on the shelf?

Edited by Jonfensu

If you go for the most functions and playability, go for the 8421. Did you consider the 8460 set? I like it better than 8421 and even 42009.

42053 seems to be a good candidate too. Compact, pneumatics and nice functions.

My adult Lego Technic obsession started with the Lego chassis series. After I had bought the 8110 Unimog, I dug up my old beloved 853 chassis at my parents place. I enjoy building new studless Lego, but for display purposes I prefer the old vintage Technic sets. They have a charm that the new Technic sets do not have. It is interesting to see the evolution from 853, 8860, 8865 to 8880. I hesitated buying 8448, but I was very pleasantly surprised by it. it's a transition to another Lego Technic area and the last car that does not correspond to a real car and that does not use power functions. I do not consider that the 8070 is in the same league as the previous cars. From the sets you mention I like as well 8421. I think you can't go wrong with most of the flagship sets ...

I have decided to give myself a little present, but I am not sure which set to buy... I can't choose between 8466, 8458, 8461, 8880, and 8421 or wait for 42053. All of these sets seem to be in the same price range (around 100€) with some being a bit cheaper and others being more expensive.

Anyone got suggestions?

I would get 8461 for sure. It is a rare and great set. Lots of unique parts and those tires are just awesome.

Hello Technic community I am still fairly new to the more modern style of Technic and since around 2003 the only technic set I have bought is the Mercedes Actros Truck (42043). I am curious to know what you would reccommend the Porche which is big looking and lacks powerfunctions and seems to be a bit pricy or the bucket wheel excavtor which is a great value and has many power functions features. I like both but I really cannot affort to buy both. Hoping you guys can help explain pros and cons and reccommend what you think is the better of the two and if I should get the porche now as it seems to be very popular.

Thanks

-RailCo

I think the BWE is a better option of you want to build it once and then use the parts to build other models or mocs for example. You will get a lot of useful parts for a relatively low price, especially compared to the Porsche. It seem to be a very educational and interesting build, so if you haven't been building modern Technic in a while you will probably learn a lot by building the BWE.

If you usually build your models once and keep them assembled as display models, the Porsche might be a better option though. It looks very good, much better than the BWE. It should be a very interesting build too.

the Porche which is big looking and lacks powerfunctions and seems to be a bit pricy or the bucket wheel excavtor which is a great value and has many power functions features.

Seems that you almost answer your own question.

The Porshe is big looking and lacks powerfunctions and seems to be a bit pricey.

In contrary, the BWE is great value and has many power functions features.

Above that, of the two, the BWE is a proper Tecnic set, with neat functionality and cool techniques. The Porsche stops being Technic as soon as the contents of Box 1 are assembled... From there, it's just stacking beams.

If you want a car, get a Creator car. The Camper van, the Mini or recent Beetle :)

I really think these type of questions are hard to answer. We get them all the time here on the forum. I don't want to sound dismissive, the question itself is a great one and one that likely is asked by hundreds of AFOLs worldwide every day. The problem with such questions, however, is that armed with the internet you should already be able to find the information you need. Many would be tempted to respond to this post with... "well the BWE offers this... and the Porsche offers this.... the BWE has this as a pro and this as a con and the Porsche...." you get the idea. But that info. is all out there. The pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses of the sets ... etc.... In reviews, the threads dedicated to each set.... etc. I am not sure any of us can say anything further ..... and we sure can't dictate what you value the most. I think at this point the information of what each set contains and is all about is out there.... all you might get are personal opinions regarding what people value at this point. Although you will get a lot of "value" comments, remember that this a highly subjective term.....If you value pieces for little money - then....BWE, if you want a highly detailed cool book with cool packaging, and an awesome display model then perhaps the Porsche. It really is up to you. If you haven't taken the time to do research, that is what I suggest you do first. I think that will be much more helpful than any responses you get on this question. Perhaps even including mine! :blush:

Why not 42054? It's a great good looking set, has interesting functions and building technics. Also it comes with useful pieces and it's cheaper than BWE and Porsche.

But as nerdsforprez you have the Internet for a full and detailed info about each set that could be enough to make a decision. Just put attention to every detail of the reviews and building videos.  :wink:

PS. I see this thread merged with Which Technic Set should I buy thread 

BWE. Although personally I would go with 42053 + 42054.

This is the most valuable combination, because you will get great big wheels, pneumatic parts, M-motor and lots of useful parts.

Why make a compromise. If you have to money for the Porsche - discard this option. Keep looking for a good deal an get the BWE and the 42039 24h-Race car. Porsche: 300€ MSRP. BWE 230€ MSRP+Race Car 100€ MSPR = 330€. With a good deal you should be able to save about 50-60€ on the sum. This should leave with enough parts to build great cars and cool machinery.

Being a train guy, I would pick BWE over Porsche. BWE can be used to load a string of hopper train cars on a LEGO train layout. :wink:

BWE all the way if you want useful pieces, Porsche only has to offer exclusive parts and orange, it is a good model for a collector or cars builder

and the 42039 24h-Race car.

Good suggestion. I think the 42039 is a really nice set, if you're into MOCcing and cars, and I think it's very decently priced. The only downside (as a parts pack) is that the green color is unique to this set (for now), so it's a bit hard to combine with other sets.

Buy the BWE right now, and use the parts to make a Porsche to enter the Rebrick contest before it closes, and win the Porsche. :grin: :grin:

Seriously though, I would buy the 42055. It has lots of pieces to start your collection, and many systems (gearboxes, PF) to learn about.

Thank you all for great and quick replies! I know it's sometimes a difficult question to answer and that everyone has their own values and what they look for in a set but it really presents all different sides and views of a set that I may not have thought about before and gives me more to compare and decide on!

Thank you so much

-RailCo

Merging with the Which set should I buy topic