Sign in to follow this  
Gabe

Rainbow Lorikeet

Hi all! I just wanted to share my latest creation, the Rainbow Lorikeet. :classic:

rainbowlorikeet6eb_051113.jpg

I recently took this model to a Lego show in Melbourne, but as i initially built it in a bit of rush, i wanted to refine it when i got it home. I changed to feet to make them look more realistic - they aren't actually connected to the branch, the bird is just resting there. It's stable enough to slide around on a table (very gently!), but that's about all it can withstand. I also changed the shape of the back of the wing and the end of the beak.

rainbowlorikeet2eb_051113.jpg

rainbowlorikeet8eb_051113.jpg

I also changed the angle of the branch from the WIP so that the bird sits more squarely over the middle of the base. (before it was set back at the edge) Adding another hinge to the branch meant that i could get the precise angle i wanted, but does compromise the strength of the support somewhat. I also had to add a couple more studs to the connection with the base.

rainbowlorikeet1eb_261013.jpg

And here is the WIP (the version i took to the Lego show) for comparison! I shall probably take this model to Brickvention in Jan next year, which will mean replacing the branch support and changing the feet connection again.

Thankyou for reading, i hope you have enjoyed looking at my build! I welcome your feedback and any suggestions on how i can improve my model. :classic:

Nice work. Been a while since I've seen one, but this seems pretty accurate to me. I much prefer the improved version.

They're a very attractive bird.

Great work mate, love the use of colour in this very colourful species. And here I was hoping to have a crack at best in show next year.... I don't think that's going to happen with you about. :p

Beautiful and accurate representation. I get lots of them around my place and for those that aren't familiar with the bird, the colours are pretty much that bright.

Nice work. Been a while since I've seen one, but this seems pretty accurate to me. I much prefer the improved version.

They're a very attractive bird.

Thanks! Yeah, the revision looks prettier i agree. It's hard to get a stable foot connection that doesn't look super-clunky.

So perfect. :wub:

Thankyou! I do like building birds, i'm planning to build one with wings outstretched next, that'll certainly be a challenge.

At first glance I didn't realise the branch was also Lego, nice work!

Haha thanks! I was experimenting with Nocturnus (GoH) trees and this came out - fun to build and pretty strong too. :thumbup:

Great work mate, love the use of colour in this very colourful species. And here I was hoping to have a crack at best in show next year.... I don't think that's going to happen with you about. :p

Cheers Taz! Aw i wouldn't count yrself out at all, you've had some sweet builds this year. :thumbup: I can't wait to see what you bring to BV!

Beautiful and accurate representation. I get lots of them around my place and for those that aren't familiar with the bird, the colours are pretty much that bright.

Thanks! We have heaps of them around our place too, they sit in the plum tree in our backyard and make a terrible racket. They are a delight to watch tho, so we don't mind. :classic:

Fabulous shapes end colors. Both bird and a branch.

I like first version of beak more (althow I have no idea how this bird looks in reality).

With stretched wings...I liked to se that for sure.

Thanks guys! Glad that you liked my little build. :)

I don't know this bird. You know, whole US thing - but I think you did a great job with the subtle modifications. The simple change of the beak and replacement on the base change it from looking like a fierce raptor (okay, colors aside) to an alert and inquisitive creature - really goo job capturing the character, nay - Spirit, of this creature.

And the branch is awesome. I got a tattoo of a bug (okay, butterfly) hanging off a branch. The branch is the best part, artistically - its perfectly rendered in a minimum of strokes.

Same with yours - perfectly done, in my mind.

Could you maybe make some instructions cos I reeeeeeaaaally want to make this. Also you should put it on the Lego cusoo website to make it a Lego set if it is in the top 3

I love this build

This looks wonderful.

Is the final beak the angular one? I kinda prefer the pointy one. Plus, you could use this part to attach the pointy beak, which exists in dark red & might look cool:

lego-parts-dark-red-round-plate-with-hole.jpg

Very beautiful built! It looks quite realistic! And the stand fits perfectly!

...I really don´t want to nag... but... two toes should point forwards and two to the back. If you are still busy with the feet, you could correct that, too.

Edited by Actionfigure