Lovely build, and educational, too! The map on the back is excellent. And the timeline has lots of detail, both in the minifigures and the micro-architecture in the background.

My only complaint is that other than Ancient Egypt at the very beginning, it feels rather Eurocentric. But then again, so many cultures emerged independently that it would be awfully hard to present each one's development on a timeline. It would be nice, both from a social perspective and an architectural one, to see some Native American or Asian cultures acknowledged in some way.

Edited by Aanchir

This is Dynamite!!

I love that you gave some unique attention to the Dark Ages and Low Middle Ages, plus the Renaissance... A lot of builders skip over those!

And then every century since the Renaissance has it's own little vignette, am I right? ...15th, ...16th, ...17th, ...18th, ...19th, ...Modernity! A+ :wub:

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

Outstanding! Apart from the map and buildings, special mention has to go to the trees! :laugh:

As to the Eurocentrism, I think it would be tought to represent progress in other civilizations with the limited choice of parts we have in LEGO currently. LEGO itself is a western-centric toy, after all.

Genius build! Such lovely little vignettes and the map on the back is super-sweet. I really like the recessed writing on the front of the model too. :thumbup:

<snip>

My only complaint is that other than Ancient Egypt at the very beginning, it feels rather Eurocentric. But then again, so many cultures emerged independently that it would be awfully hard to present each one's development on a timeline. It would be nice, both from a social perspective and an architectural one, to see some Native American or Asian cultures acknowledged in some way.

Agreed, that thought did occur to me as well.

<snip>

As to the Eurocentrism, I think it would be tought to represent progress in other civilizations with the limited choice of parts we have in LEGO currently. LEGO itself is a western-centric toy, after all.

Hmm, not sure that i could agree with you on the "limited choice of parts" thing. :laugh: The CM's themselves have been a incredible boon for builders with new minifig parts and accessories, and that's not including custom parts that are commericially available! Representing multiple cultures in a linear timeline does represent a challenge, but i certainly don't think it should be relegated to the too hard basket. :wink:

This is a fantastic idea and incredibly well thought out MOC. The mini builds are amazing and the minifigs you've created are phenomenal! And that map of the world :wub: the perfect detail to wrap up a super MOC!

Congratulations and happy building :laugh:

Great MOC! The small models depicting time periods are all great, along with the map on the back. I also have to say that the letters at the base are very well done. Great work! :thumbup:

Hmm, not sure that I could agree with you on the "limited choice of parts" thing. :laugh: The CM's themselves have been a incredible boon for builders with new minifig parts and accessories, and that's not including custom parts that are commercially available! Representing multiple cultures in a linear timeline does represent a challenge, but I certainly don't think it should be relegated to the too hard basket. :wink:

Absolutely, with the new CMF figs and a careful eye, you can do almost any major civilization...

We just need more Inca, Maya, Aztec, and perhaps more India, China, etc. I am sure we'll see it soon!

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

This is just great...would love to recreate this for my history classes...they'd get a kick out of it! (Though I'd have to add a few other things in there as well somehow...Samurai & Sumo, Lincoln, Civil War Soldiers, etc.). Still think this was just an amazing idea and well put together!

I am floored by this, it is so stunning. Your building techniques, like using clips and the 4L poles is such an awesome detail, and the SNOT techniques to capture the buildings in such small scale, I am just entirely impressed. I love the whole theme, it should be in a Library or a Museum. So incredible.

Fantastic MOC, it's a piece of art! Very enjoyable to look at. Well done!

Very impressive. The scale alone is astonishing, then throw in all of the details. Each of those eras are covered nicely, at least from my limited knowledge of them. I like all of the miniature scaled builds and the characters together. I hadn't thought about using some of those torsos in that way. Thanks for the idea.

I did see someone mention space and caveman times..those could be neat to see, but I understand your more realistic approach here.

And the map is a nice touch. Something you could have easily left out, but I'm glad you included that.

This is astonishing. Really, each one of your creations is good enough to deserve its own topic... yet you've put them all together in this display that not only demonstrates an eye for history, but also the keen accuracy of a master builder. That map design as well, it must have taken you hours to plan and execute that level of precision.

Whomever suggested that you make this a CUSOO project is right - you'll get 10,000 supporters in no-time with a creation like this!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Outstandig work. Again, Lasse! So much to see and adore. The "History of the world"-letters are very clever.

Wow! A wonderful addition to a Western Civ course. Outstanding microscale buildings make the whole MOC sparkle. Congratulations on a fine map, too!