Hi,

I know these sets are old... but they're still great fun.

I have a set but am missing the original software CD-ROM for it.

Does anyone have one (extra) lying around?

(I'm not allowed to post in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum yet...)

Thanks

--Michiel

Hello!

I have the CD somewhere. I'll see what i can do to help you out :)

Unfortunately i'm currently at work, so i'll look for it in the evening.

Edited by le60head

Thanks for the link, Legolijntje, but it's not there unfortunately...

The CD-ROM is this one: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=chorman&itemID=38229174

That seller is in the US though and has a min buy of $30. Was hoping not to pay that much just for the sake of a CD. I've tried eBay, but these sets are only being offered at ridiculous prices.

Unfortunately it's one of the MindStorms range that didn't become very well known, even though the bricks are fully programmable and have two motors, a touch sensor and a heap of IR sensors that actually allows multiple of them to detect each other and interact. They're fun!

On the other hand, what you could do with built-in software was extremely limited. Have you considered programming it using NQC through BricxCC?

Where are you at? I'm in the US and have the CD. Since this is a discontinued item, is it ok to make a copy and send it?

Warning though: My recollection this works only with Windows XP, and needs the OLD serial port (not USB). So you need an old PC to use the software.

I'm in The Netherlands. Yep, know about the serial cable, I have one right here.

I am keeping an old laptop that has a serial port, with just Windows on it and all the "Retro" MindStorms software (have RCX too).

I'm not sure about the legality of making a copy. It is copyrighted software. However to me it seems that the software is rather useless if you don't have the hardware, i.e. at least the pbrick and the serial cable. I think a good analogy would be copying a printer driver - it's useless without the printer so why would the manufacturer prevent copying of the software?

I could be wrong from a strictly legal point of view though...

Edit - forgot to mention that yes, I do know about NQC and love it. But my son has started to take an interest in these sets and the original software just appeals to kids a lot more than a text editor does :wink:

Edited by pmichiel

Hey again!

Since you cannot receive PM yet, i wrote you a comment on your blog. Please check it when you have the time :)

Hey again!

Since you cannot receive PM yet, i wrote you a comment on your blog. Please check it when you have the time :)

You have mail. Thanks again! :sweet:

Edit - problem solved. Thanks all who offered help and suggestions!

Edited by pmichiel

You're very welcome!

Nice blog you have there! Keep up the great work :)

Its great that there are people like you who share all their valuable knowledge online!

Unfortunately i'm currently at work, so i'll look for it in the evening.

Hmmm...work... :-) Edited by Technyk32231

Where are you at? I'm in the US and have the CD. Since this is a discontinued item, is it ok to make a copy and send it?

Warning though: My recollection this works only with Windows XP, and needs the OLD serial port (not USB). So you need an old PC to use the software.

Hi, i am new to this Forum but i lately rediscovered my Spybot :D but i cannot find the cd :( could you please make a virtual copy and send it to me?? i would really appreciate it :) sorry for posting it here but i cannot yet use the message system :(

Hi

I Just buy some spybotics components from BL, while I don't have the instructions. I know the instruction and programming software was in the CD which I don't have. I just wonder, without the CD, can I just use the remote to control the motor for some simple action? And where can I found the instruction ( only the instruction is ok, I just want to get some idea on how to use it, if not do some program. And if with program, what else I can do with it, so that I can decide whether to buy the serial line converter or CD etc.) it seems no where to be downloaded?

----------------

In case someone else have the same question: I tried it out, the driver module can be controlled by the remote without anything from CD, while seems to me it can only control two motor, the LED and sensor things you won't be able to control without program.

Edited by colorant

Not sure which sets you have but this site might help you out.

http://www.brickfact.../set/index.html

Just go to your set number and it will pull up the instructions.

Thanks branolego, I am refer to spybotics sets 3806~3809, the site did provide the bricks building instructions, while I am sort of looking for the controller and driver modules detail usage instruction ( since this is a program able sets, and there are a lot of buttons on the modules).

I found some doc mention the usage a little bit as a faq at :

http://pbrick.info/spybotics-faqs/

but I am wondering, there must be some more detailed doc in the CD comes with these sets. Not sure where to find them

I have merged both topics, changed the title and added it to the index.

Hello DrJB,

I have the same problem as Catrix and I cannot use the message system :(

Is it possible to share a copy/image of the installation CD for Spybotics??