brickie

Layout: Island of Sodor

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

For BrisBricks 2013 last weekend, I managed to almost complete the Island of Sodor.

It was well received by the spectators; young and old.

island_of_sodor_1.jpg

island_of_sodor_2.jpg

island_of_sodor_3.jpg

island_of_sodor_crowd.jpg

From my point of view (father of two huge Thomas fans), this is simply amazing! When looking at this, I could almost hear Ringo Starr's voice. :laugh:

When looking at this, I could almost hear Ringo Starr's voice. :laugh:

You mean George Carlin right? Anyway, this really is fantastic setup you have there, so many details! I like the fact that Cranky is represented

You mean George Carlin right? Anyway, this really is fantastic setup you have there, so many details! I like the fact that Cranky is represented

Ringo in the UK, George in the US.... not sure who voiced the show in other territories. Wow! A quick check on wikipedia listed seven narrators including Pierce Brosnan and Alec Baldwin....

Was this layout based on an actual track plan as part of the Island of Sodor or just something that you made up?

Either way very impressive and packed full of detail!

This is fantastic! Thomas was one of my favourite things as a kid, and this is epic! Thanks for sharing!

Totally agree: nicely done!

Thank you all for the kind comments. It has been a labour of love for 6 months or more but the smiles on the weekend repaid all the cost and effort.

The island is only about 80% finished. Hopefully I can show it again next year as the improved MKII version.

Was this layout based on an actual track plan as part of the Island of Sodor or just something that you made up?

Either way very impressive and packed full of detail!

I did research on the Island of Sodor using the books by the Rev. Wilbert Awdry in The Railway Series.

In his fictitious history of the island, Wilbert has a map of the island including all the towns and the train lines.

To reproduce this in Lego would be an enormous display taking up a room so I modified things to fit on 14 x 6 base plates.

There are 3 train loops running all the time and a branch line from the harbour to under the mountain.

Yep, looks amazing. Can I ask how long this took?

I built Cranky at the start of the year and the lighthouse soon after. The harbour scene was then finished for a farm display at the local agricultural exhibition in May. The rest of the island was built slowly after that reaching a frantic building frenzy last week.

I need to redo some of the rocks along the seawall and build a hundred trees to vegetate the island.

Looks very nice brickie! People love it, that is for sure from your picture of the crowds!!! Nice job.

on a technical note, are they duplo bodies running on 9V or PF track???

I bought all of the Duplo trains and built them onto 9V motors; thus it is all 9V track.

I had to rebuild some carriages to make them 8 stud wide. The troublesome trucks were Duplo sitting on Lego wheels etc.

All good fun.

This is a very nice layout indeed. When i was young I had Thomas stories on LPs as we only had a record player or real to real tapes back then. But I enjoyed listening to them all the same whilst playing with my blue track 4.5V system. I would often pretend an engine was Thomas or Percy or whichever engine featured. It is good to see so much detail in you layout. I looked but could not see it, do you have a partially bricked up tunnel with Henry stuck inside, that was one of my favourite stories?

This is a very nice layout indeed. When i was young I had Thomas stories on LPs as we only had a record player or real to real tapes back then. But I enjoyed listening to them all the same whilst playing with my blue track 4.5V system. I would often pretend an engine was Thomas or Percy or whichever engine featured.

Wow! You have certainly capsulated the spirit of the stories in The Railway Series. The use of the imagination to get trains to talk was wonderful for you.

I looked but could not see it, do you have a partially bricked up tunnel with Henry stuck inside, that was one of my favourite stories?

The story of Henry out of the rain is from the first book of 4 stories; Thomas came along in the next book.

The lack of space for a closed up tunnel and I couldn't find a Duplo Henry meant that this story wasn't there. It does give me thoughts though for next year.