Lance

Ninjago: Masters Of Spinjitsu TV Show Thread

Looking at the video again, I noticed that Lloyd's car is kind of impractical. While we haven't gotten this sort of flat and sleek vehicle design in Ninjago, it has zero suspension unlike Lloyd's vehicle in the tournament wave (which looks similar). It kind of just looks like a Ninjago version of a supercar, but no outstanding design choices aside from that.

Also, when the oni-mask wearing guy takes off their helmet, they also switch their outfit. While they are parachuting away we can get a look at their real design. They wear a black jacket with tons of cool little designs on it, like a stylized "G". I can tell people will like that minifigure (if it is made). The villains also remind me of Doubloon with their helmet designs.

While the villans look simple, I love the neon style of the design. Visually, they remind me of Batman Forever

Image result for batman forever neon

The animation makes me think they might have glow-in-the-dark printing on the helmets and torsos.

Also, those masks look dope!

Edited by Robert8

2 hours ago, LegendsOfNinjago said:

Maybe that they're older? Idk. Hahaha

The Hagemans have confirmed an undisclosed, "sorta significant" time jump.

Also, aside from Lloyd's design which transferred seamlessly, the other Ninja will be a mix of their TV Show and Movie counterparts in order for the new/younger audience to adapt to the TV characters better. Throughout a Q&A, the mentioned that Nya's Hair, Lloyd' eyes, and Jay's freckles were among their favorite aspects of the movie Ninja. Take that as you will.

They've also said that Wu will return, but he will not be the same.

And lastly, they're a bit bitter on how out of proportion the changes are being taken by the "fans."

Edited by Penkid11

52 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

While the villans look simple, I love the neon style of the design. Visually, they remind me of Batman Forever

The animation makes me think they might have glow-in-the-dark printing on the helmets and torsos.

Also, those masks look dope!

They kinda reminds me of Kamen Rider design. It's probably the closes design we'll get for LEGO Mask Rider so I am totally on-board on these villains. 

The tone also feels more like Sentai show (think Power Rangers)? I think it's in the right direction if they want to prolong the timeline and story arcs but I'll save my judgement for the show when I see a few more episodes .

This is why I dislike the movie. I knew this would happen. The original NInjago and all of the original characters are gone! This can not even be explained logically. They should have ended the original series first and then made a new one with new designs, instead of changing their designs mid-series!

3 minutes ago, Sunset550 said:

This is why I dislike the movie. I knew this would happen. The original NInjago and all of the original characters are gone! This can not even be explained logically. They should have ended the original series first and then made a new one with new designs, instead of changing their designs mid-series!

You would prefer the original continuity ending entirely over just designs and everything else being the same?

34 minutes ago, Sunset550 said:

I wouldn't dislike something for the sole reason that it affects something else entirely - plus, while there won't be a large canonical explanation, according to the Hagenmans it will be addressed, so I wouldn't worry too much about. In fact, I'm sure the increase in animation quality (just look at the amazing Ninjago City) was somehow correlated with the movie, so if you want to blame the movie for show changes, at least recognize that it led to an animation quality increase as Lego begins to expand the TV show to new audiences.

On a side note, Lego uploaded the new clip in HD to their channel, but there doesn't seem to be sound - hopefully that'll be remedied soon as I'm excited to hear Lloyd's new voice clearer!

Wow! I'm loving the changes. I like how they are taking the awesome designs from the movie and melding them with the show! 

Considering we're getting a time-skip, we probably could have expected the character designs to be updated anyway. Might as well use the movie designs as inspiration.

Its funny cause in the movie the ninja are younger but here they are being used as older versions.

I don't mind the idea of the ninja's designs becoming more like the movie. From when we first got a good look at the movie hairstyles and faces they felt to me like what the ninja might've looked like from the start if LEGO had an unlimited design budget for new hair pieces and a better idea of who the ninja would become as the series went on. Not much about the original faces from the 2011 sets actually reflected the characters' personalities. And of course, besides Kai, their hair was just pulled from figs that preceded them. But the movie versions' hair and faces could be specifically tailored to them according to their personalities and backgrounds.

After hearing that Lloyd would be getting a new VA I was actually wondering if there'd be a time skip. Sensei Wu's fate in Season 7 definitely opened the door to that since it meant he could reunite with the ninja at an undetermined point in the future. I get some Batman Beyond vibes from the SDCC teasers, what with an evil gang claiming to be the successors of a powerful villain who opposed the heroes in the past.

2 hours ago, Sunset550 said:

Keep in mind that this is LEGO. They can change their hairpieces whenever they want :laugh:

There will be a movie this fall. That is going to bring new viewers to the TV show. I bet that's why they are going with this "Sons of Garmadon" storyline. Because new viewers will learn about him in the movie. That's also why they want to update the minifigures, so the TV designs will look in line with the movie ones.

I think the show will look fresh with the new designs :classic:

Edited by Robert8

Honestly I'm pretty intrigued so far, especially by the masked villains and their printed visors. Also, It's nice to see Ninjago City finally looking like a modern metropolis with freeways and traffic. 

2 hours ago, Sunset550 said:

B-but this is the original Ninjago, and all of the original characters are still there. They're just older. Let's wait until SoG releases before we cast final judgements on the redesigns.

I'm sure like many of the changes before, the negativity will disappear completely once it releases.

Speaking of releases, the Sons of Garmadon Teaser is now available directly from Lego.

Edited by Penkid11

Ninjago is ruined. It will never be the same. Yeah, it's pretty much over now. I mean, how dare the creators change the appearance of characters after 7 years of them looking exact same way? Unforgivable! /s

Boo hoo, their looks changed a bit. Why should anybody care? Last time I checked, they're still same characters with same histories, and the story is canon to the show. How exactly does this make the show worse? If anything, it makes it better since all the characters (except Kai maybe) had generic Lego hairpieces. The change just makes the characters more unique. Nothing illogical about this. (I mean, not like Ninjago isn't illogical enough already...). Nya's hair? She grew it long. Lloyd's green eyes? He got an extra power which made his eyes glow. Kai's scar? He got sliced in a battle. Zane's skin? He decided to paint it yellow. There you go.

I think people hate the change because the characters now resemble ninjas from the movie, and you know, there's also this insane (and immature) hatred against the movie for some reason as well. By the way, the movie also looks pretty good and it will be interesting to see how many elements from there they reuse in the show.

The question is

Is "Sons of Garmadon" going to get sets?

I expect Ninjago movie to have 3 waves like Lego and Batman Movie. So next winter and summer (2018) waves are going to be Ninjago Movie

I dont think they are going to release a line based on the TV show along with the Movie line

The Sons of Garmadon (or whatever these guys are called) are interesting. Maybe they are imitators/alternate versions of the Ninja, who follow a twisted ideology and rob ancient treasures to awaken a dark power? I don't know.

Those masks they were stealing look very non-LEGO. If they are this season's McGuffin (and I'm guessing they are), we can expect new, super-specific but still useful moulds.

12 hours ago, gamejutzu said:

Also, when the oni-mask wearing guy takes off their helmet, they also switch their outfit. While they are parachuting away we can get a look at their real design. They wear a black jacket with tons of cool little designs on it, like a stylized "G". I can tell people will like that minifigure (if it is made). The villains also remind me of Doubloon with their helmet designs.

He/she/it should be made, because the other suit is pretty much a recoloured Zane ZX. The helmets seem difficult to replicate, however, and their printed-all-over style reminds me of customs. But they looked like regular helmets, which should give more chances of getting them made.

That car's definitely going to be produced.

Useless PS: It's my birthday today! I got Ramses Pyramid (I think Minotaurus was cooler but anyway)!

Edited by Lyonel McBaseplate

Tommy Andreasen posted a response to fans on his Twitter:

I think this means that Kai won't have his scar while Cole will. Since he says the season is "quite a way away," I would guess it'll air in May, which March being the very earliest.

EDIT: I also happen to like the Ninjago-style Power Rangers. Imagine if LEGO released those - the printing is revolutionary and would set a whole new level of standards regarding minifigure printing!

Edited by Master_Data

There's always the probability that the villains won't be wearing those biker helmets all the time, so their designs could be different from what we think. Either way I absolutely love the new changes and I hope they keep evolving the show into better and better iterations!

46 minutes ago, GentlemanJoker said:

There's always the probability that the villains won't be wearing those biker helmets all the time, so their designs could be different from what we think. Either way I absolutely love the new changes and I hope they keep evolving the show into better and better iterations!

Probably not, but it would still be cool to get all those printed helmets. They're pretty cool!

16 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

Is it bad that I kinda enjoy watching the tween/early teen fans run around like chickens with their heads cut off whenever something is changed in the series? I feel like this happens every year, but by the end of the year, they're totally accepting of it.

Rule of thumb: if the twitter/tumblr ninjago fans are screaming about a change in the series being horrifically bad, it's probably a good change.

As for this new change... I'm all for it, yeah. The movie designs pretty much curbstomp the show ones anyway ("we couldn't figure out how to subtly show he's a robot so we just coated him in silver" Zane deserves to die in a fire), so transitioning over to those is pretty much for the best.

Also means that Jay can finally have consistently-coloured hair in the show/in the sets. About time too.

Why bother hating the change? There was a time skip and they changed as time passed. Besides I guarantee most will embrace the change with SoG once it's released or even before.

59 minutes ago, Clx_45 said:

Why bother hating the change? There was a time skip and they changed as time passed. Besides I guarantee most will embrace the change with SoG once it's released or even before.

It's pretty easy to understand. It's a pretty drastic change, and most people didn't expect to the movie designs to crossover to the show in some way. Time-skip, sure, but I'm sure it's no bigger than the amount of time that's passed since the show began, and we've seen what they're supposed to look like when they're older. You gotta remember: they're LEGO. Their most distinguishing features are their faces and hair. They basically make their identities.

I'm willing to retroactively accept that however the ninja's faces have changed, they've simply always looked like that, except for Lloyd, whom has apparently actually hit puberty. If this gets more people into the show, then it's worth it. Redesigns aside though, the animation is incredible! Way better than Season 7's. Next-Level-Ninjago, indeed.

Edited by GarmaFan

I'm glad they addressed the fans' displeasure with the Ninjago Movie redesigned faces and hair. They look awful. I'm guessing the original Ninjago creators were disturbed by the changes to their characters as well.

I tried to watch the Comic Con Ninjago Movie panel video with the voice actors, and had to turn it off after a couple of minutes. The idea of these "big name" celebs "sprucing up" the Ninjago world is very off putting. The Ninjago TV show had many seasons of success thanks to the original creative team, not from Hollywood big shots.

The Hands of Time season finale's cliffhanger was very significant, so when they made it sound like the next season will have a time jump is disappointing if they won't adequately show what happened and how Sensei Wu got back to the normal time.