Lance

Ninjago: Masters Of Spinjitsu TV Show Thread

Is it just me or does this opening's visuals and a few animations look a little... Weak?

I mean, you could say that it's just a little sneak peek whipped up, but if the entire special will look like this here, eeh, that would be unfortunate.

What I mean is, compare these visuals, like the desert area and Kai's model in the beginning, to say, the Possession season, like the HD airjitzu scene on the Bounty. It just doesn't look as crisp and clean, you know?

It could change after the intro, but for now, I don't know...

I'm not an expert with this stuff, but it caught my eye almost immediately.

Does this also mean we won't be getting an intro/theme to this if it's a special?

I didn't notice much about the animation until you mentioned it, but now I'm looking again, the scenery and lighting could use some work, especially compared to one of my favorite Ninjago scenes - the Bounty flying into the sunset in Kingdom Come. I'm also not really a fan of how their names appear on the screen - the names cover their faces sometimes it just feels a tad sloppy. However, there is new music - after Cole jumps off the dirt ramp the new version of the Weekend Whip starts playing - which is why the Fold re-uploaded it on their channel. I'm cautiously optimistic about the special (especially the length) but the animation could be a bit better...

I'm with 'ya with the animation, but there are also some visual errors. In one frame, Jay is missing his eyebrows. When the two motorbikes combine to form the Raider, Kai and Nya switch places. Just some small errors, I guess.

To me, the animation looked like the (new) product animations, but then without the LEGO bricks, and a bit better. I hope this change won't be seen in the actual episodes...

after Cole jumps off the dirt ramp the new version of the Weekend Whip starts playing - which is why the Fold re-uploaded it on their channel.

I don't know... I mean, it's just a guitar ripping a tune repeatedly. I doesn't sound like the Weekend Whip to me. Maybe it's another Fold song we haven't seen before, like an instrumental of it.

The theory that Yang wants to join the islands really does make sense to me. Now that we can see the schematics fully, the thing on the left does look like the Dark Island. Except for some reason, the Dark Island is actually bigger than Ninjago.

And also, it turns out Brent Miller states that when he first came over to record lines, he saw that the ages of the ninja ranged from 16-20. So the ninja were late teens in the very first season. I like to think some ninja were older than others.

If you assume that the ninja were on average, 17 in Masters of Spinjitzu, a year and a half could pass for Year of the Snakes and The Overlord arc. The ninja would be around 19 (teaching age) in Rebooted, and 20-21 in ToE and Possession. And around 22-23 in Skybound and DoTD.

We know that Nya was Kai's younger sister, I would guess her to be 16 in Masters of Spinjitzu. I think it would be neat if Jay was 16 as well.

And in The Overlord arc, where Lloyd grows older, I myself would like it if he was the same age as Jay and Nya (in my theory), which is around 17-18.

And Zane would technically be 50+, since he was around before Samukai was even banished to the Underworld. So he was alive when Wu and Garmadon were young if I go by this.

Edited by gamejutzu

With regards to the kinda subpar animation, I wouldn't be surprised if this went into production on short notice when the movie was pushed back. They might not have had enough time to add as much polish as usual.

And also, it turns out Brent Miller states that when he first came over to record lines, he saw that the ages of the ninja ranged from 16-20. So the ninja were late teens in the very first season. I like to think some ninja were older than others.

If you assume that the ninja were on average, 17 in Masters of Spinjitzu, a year and a half could pass for Year of the Snakes and The Overlord arc. The ninja would be around 19 (teaching age) in Rebooted, and 20-21 in ToE and Possession. And around 22-23 in Skybound and DoTD.

We know that Nya was Kai's younger sister, I would guess her to be 16 in Masters of Spinjitzu. I think it would be neat if Jay was 16 as well.

And in The Overlord arc, where Lloyd grows older, I myself would like it if he was the same age as Jay and Nya (in my theory), which is around 17-18.

And Zane would technically be 50+, since he was around before Samukai was even banished to the Underworld. So he was alive when Wu and Garmadon were young if I go by this.

He said that, but one of the Hageman Bros. confirmed they were teenagers. Their current word now probably has more weight than what a script said five years ago. And Zane wasn't around before Samukai was banished. Samukai took Dr. Julien to force him to make plans for their vehicles, so Garmadon already conquered them at that point. Remember, the skeletons can leave the Underworld anytime. But wait, was it ever mentioned Samukai was banished? The skeletons are already native to the Underworld.

Samukai took Dr. Julien to force him to make plans for their vehicles, so Garmadon already conquered them at that point.

Unless they had vehicles before Garmadon's rule... It's pretty unclear.

He said that, but one of the Hageman Bros. confirmed they were teenagers.

The Hageman Brothers need to improve on detail.They just say a statement but never really explain it well. This is how we get a bunch of unclear messages regarding lore and stuff like that.

Are they still teenagers? If so, how old were they in the pilot season? And Nya's younger than Kai, so I imaging whatever age Kai was in the first episodes, she was even younger. In the pilot, Kai had chest hair in this season as well.

So if let's say at the time of DoTD, the ninja are at max 19 years old. After all, this was posted around this time anyway. Lots of time has passed since Ninjago first aired in 2011. You can't say all this happened in the show in less than 5 years.

So if we do go back 5 years, the ninja would have all been 14 with the exception of Zane and Nya. If we go any lower with our max DoTD age, well I don't like to think about that. And at around the age of 15-16, the ninja are doing things like buying apartments and paying the bills through jobs like bank guard and chef.

He said that, but one of the Hageman Bros. confirmed they were teenagers. Their current word now probably has more weight than what a script said five years ago. And Zane wasn't around before Samukai was banished. Samukai took Dr. Julien to force him to make plans for their vehicles, so Garmadon already conquered them at that point. Remember, the skeletons can leave the Underworld anytime. But wait, was it ever mentioned Samukai was banished? The skeletons are already native to the Underworld.

I still say Zane is 50+. In the flashback, Julien built Zane in his prime days. And we see that Zane lived with Julien until his final days as an old man. That's gotta be a couple of decades.

Edited by gamejutzu

The Hageman Brothers need to improve on detail.They just say a statement but never really explain it well. This is how we get a bunch of unclear messages regarding lore and stuff like that.

Are they still teenagers? If so, how old were they in the pilot season? And Nya's younger than Kai, so I imaging whatever age Kai was in the first episodes, she was even younger. In the pilot, Kai had chest hair in this season as well.

So if let's say at the time of DoTD, the ninja are at max 19 years old. After all, this was posted around this time anyway. Lots of time has passed since Ninjago first aired in 2011. You can't say all this happened in the show in less than 5 years.

So if we do go back 5 years, the ninja would have all been 14 with the exception of Zane and Nya. If we go any lower with our max DoTD age, well I don't like to think about that. And at around the age of 15-16, the ninja are doing things like buying apartments and paying the bills through jobs like bank guard and chef.

I still say Zane is 50+. In the flashback, Julien built Zane in his prime days. And we see that Zane lived with Julien until his final days as an old man. That's gotta be a couple of decades.

I'd say that if you're expecting the ninja to age consistently over the course of the series, you're overthinking it. They have always sort of existed in a vague space between teenagers and young adults and they're likely to stay that way unless they actually pass the reins to a new generation of ninja—it's in Lego's best interest to have a set of protagonists that their kid audience can relate to.

Tommy Andreasen confirms some details about the ages here. Zane was built at least 60 years ago. Kai, Cole, and Jay are all roughly the same age. Nya is two years younger than Kai. But he doubts that they will ever specifically define the ninja's ages.

He's actually been answering a lot of questions on his Twitter. Among other things, he confirms that future Ninjago books will be considered canon. The Dark Island Trilogy is canon and takes place between Realm of Shadows and Day of the Departed. Also, it's canon that Ronin was responsible for delivering Zane to Master Chen.

Edited by Aanchir

Unless they had vehicles before Garmadon's rule... It's pretty unclear.

Garmadon fell to the Underworld long before Zane was built though. While the timeline is.. confusing to say the least, supplementary material always states that the battle between brothers happened a very long time before the show. Despite certain developments, it seems that hasn't been retconned, but the show itself avoids mentioning just how long ago certain things (primarily the Wu/Garmadon/Serpentine War era(s)) happened beyond the vague "long before time had a name" or "long ago".

Kai's chest hairs were retconned in the time travel episode in Season 2. The new model they used for the past Kai was exactly the same, but with no chest hair. But still, I think you're thinking about it too hard. Characters always do improbable things for their age in children's media. Kids travel the world catching dangerous super powered electric mice without adult supervision, adolescents fight in wars..etc. We have no reason to believe that time passes in real-time. I notice a lot of Ninjago fans either assume that, or that several years pass between almost every season. We know that years have passed since the beginning, but we don't know how many. Aside from between Rise of the Spinjitzu Master and Rebooted, the time between seasons is most likely a few weeks at most. The cliffhangers don't really allow much time.

Edited by GarmaFan

Zane was built at least 60 years ago. Kai, Cole, and Jay are all roughly the same age. Nya is two years younger than Kai. But he doubts that they will ever specifically define the ninja's ages.

That was an interesting post, most descriptive information I've seen about the topic.I wouldn't have guessed that Nya is actually two years younger than Kai.

And I always knew that Lloyd was younger than the others. Just because he used a time potion doesn't mean he became exactly the same age as the ninja, but many like to use that even though there was nothing really to base it on.

So now that we have some details, i'll try to find something that can be the jelly for these facts to float in. I'm not saying that what I'll put together is what should be fact or anything though, i think i'm really just doing a lot of this for myself.

I notice a lot of Ninjago fans either assume that, or that several years pass between almost every season. We know that years have passed since the beginning, but we don't know how many. Aside from between Rise of the Spinjitzu Master and Rebooted, the time between seasons is most likely a few weeks at most. The cliffhangers don't really allow much time.

Well yeah, that's what I was basing my hypothesis on, as shown I bundled some seasons together, like the serpentine season and Rise of the Spinjitzu Master. But I do think that the serpentine season was over the span of around a year. It felt like we were seeing real development there, i'd hate to think it was just in 2-3 months or a really short time.

I did notice that seasons past Rebooted (aka the trilogy), seemed to happen in more recent times, like Possession and Skybound. But then again, so did the gap between Masters of Spinjitzu and Year of the Snakes.

From what we know about their ages, I'm gonna try to make an estimation: they're teenagers, so they're in the range of 13-19. "18-19" are right on the border-line before twenty, so let's remove those numbers. That leaves us with 13-17. Let's split that, and say they're 13-15 to start off. There's about two years between Season 2 and Season 3, so, they're 15-17 in Rebooted. Assuming it's been almost a year since Rebooted by Skybound, they're about 16-18.

Nya is two years younger than Kai, Cole, and Jay, so in Skybound, she's 14-16. Lloyd is the youngest of the ninja, so let's say he's... 7-9 in the beginning, and 10-13 by Skybound. As for his physical age? Well, you can't really number physical ages now, can you? He is... adolescent. Despite his voice, he looks old enough to pass as the same age as the other ninja.

Masters of Spinjitzu-Rise of the Spinjitzu Master

Kai, Cole, and Jay: 13-15

Nya: 11-13

Lloyd: 7-9

Zane: 60s (physically around the age as the other ninja)

Rebooted-Possession

Kai, Cole, and Jay: 15-17

Nya: 13-15

Lloyd: 9-11

Zane: 60s (shiny)

Skybound onwards

Kai, Cole, and Jay: 16-18

Nya: 14-16

Lloyd: 10-13

Zane: 60s (still shiny)

Tommy Andreasen confirms some details about the ages here. Zane was built at least 60 years ago. Kai, Cole, and Jay are all roughly the same age. Nya is two years younger than Kai. But he doubts that they will ever specifically define the ninja's ages.

He's actually been answering a lot of questions on his Twitter. Among other things, he confirms that future Ninjago books will be considered canon. The Dark Island Trilogy is canon and takes place between Realm of Shadows and Day of the Departed. Also, it's canon that Ronin was responsible for delivering Zane to Master Chen.

Thanks for pointing that out. He's almost become the Greg Farshtey of Ninjago! There's a treasure trove of information there, much more than the Hageman brothers have shared.

He's almost become the Greg Farshtey of Ninjago!

Those were exactly my thoughts! I'm enjoying perusing his comments now...

A bit confused by what he said here. He said the Golden Master legend was a myth, but.. in what way? The GM didn't turn out to be Lloyd, but it still ended up existing.

Edited by GarmaFan

A bit confused by what he said here. He said the Golden Master legend was a myth, but.. in what way? The GM didn't turn out to be Lloyd, but it still ended up existing.

Perhaps he meant that the Golden Master was not something historical, but rather a prophesy (read: myth), until the Overlord fulfilled it by the end of rebooted.

There is so much to be excited about after reading through all of his replies. Very hopeful for this theme's future!

So Garmadon was only banished for a decade, instead of centuries.. why does it feel like the timeline keeps shrinking? And there might be an explanation to Wu's weird aging.. would love to see what the official explanation to that is.. I hope it isn't Tomorrow's Tea.

Edited by GarmaFan

Masters of Spinjitzu-Rise of the Spinjitzu Master

Kai, Cole, and Jay: 13-15

Nya: 11-13

Lloyd: 7-9

Zane: 60s (physically around the age as the other ninja)

Rebooted-Possession

Kai, Cole, and Jay: 15-17

Nya: 13-15

Lloyd: 9-11

Zane: 60s (shiny)

Skybound onwards

Kai, Cole, and Jay: 16-18

Nya: 14-16

Lloyd: 10-13

Zane: 60s (still shiny)

I guess I can accept that, there isn't anything here that wouldn't make sense... I did a double take when I saw Lloyd's age, but I understand why it's that way. I can also see the ninja being in their early 20's in DoTD or Skybound, but this is also fine.

Thanks for pointing that out. He's almost become the Greg Farshtey of Ninjago! There's a treasure trove of information there, much more than the Hageman brothers have shared.

My goodness, it really is. Just browsed for less than a minute and I already realized that Garmadon's temple is Steep Wisdom... And Wu sold it for fancy vehicles...

Edited by gamejutzu

My goodness, it really is. Just browsed for less than a minute and I already realized that Garmadon's temple is Steep Wisdom... And Wu sold it for fancy vehicles...

My understanding was that he sold it so that it could stay in business. It's nice having wealthy friends to bail you out when you're deep in debt. The fancy vehicles were just a bonus.

Edited by Aanchir

I guess I can accept that, there isn't anything here that wouldn't make sense... I did a double take when I saw Lloyd's age, but I understand why it's that way. I can also see the ninja being in their early 20's in DoTD or Skybound, but this is also fine.

I'd put the ninja in their twenties by Skybound, too, but I was trying to keep it consistent with what they've said.

There's so much useful stuff in that Twitter! A lot of it are things that no one here even thought of. He also heavily hinted at Dragon Wrought being a fusion, or something that is "sort of" Kai's.

And apparently the book not only confirms where the Ultra Dragon is (it went back), it also tells how they got their vehicles (I don't understand why that's important, they'll just wreck or lose them anyway).

He also called HoT a Kai Season. A Kai "season"... Backing this up is how he calls the season the most delicate and intricately woven story they've ever done, and digs deep into the lore. It's easier to do that with a season.

Edited by gamejutzu