Something_Awesome

What does everyone like to do with the Lego sets they buy?

Do you like to build and play with them?

Perhaps make dioramas of actual scenes?

MOC's?

Maybe build them and just put them on display as standalone set pieces on a shelf?

Me, I just buy them and collect them at the moment and leave them in their sealed packages. The only set that I have opened and built is one 8129 AT-AT Walker. I have a second 8129 in sealed package and, may end up buying a third. I do intend at some point to build a diorama or MOC scene, however, til then I will continue collecting all the Hoth and Endor sets.

Currently, all I need to complete my collection to the point where I want it to be to fulfill my vision for the Hoth and Endor dioramas or MOC's is a third 8129 AT-AT. I am thinking about building a custom AT-AT instead though.

Edited by Something_Awesome

I build them and then break them down, keeping the MF's in a display box.

I don't think the sets are all that, so usealy the're gone withing 24 hours in bins or sorted, no real plan what to do with them. I build my own MOC's, so they're a welcome addition to my parts collection. I can't recall any set's I've got just for keeping them , usealy I've got just one set of each, in some cases I've got mutiple ( army builder) .

gtrz Saint

I build all of them, add the clones/BD's/Stormies and Rebels to the army. All large scale ships go on display. All the other small sets go on display, until I have to take them apart to display other sets.

In the beginning I bought every set that came out and I build them all. Since LEGO came with the Clone Wars series I stopped buying everything

and I only buy the UCS sets. The other boxes are now remade and stocked on my attic. :sweet:

I will normaly build them. Then tear them down in some epic manner. Then sort them for MOCs down the road. My sets normaly last a few weeks.

Build - adore - display :) Try to buy multiple ones, one to build and display and one kept in sealed box. Just for fun. For my kids or retirement.

I build them and keep them on display, particularly big ones, playsets such as the battle of Endor I like to keep in trays and display.

I end up displaying for a few days before parting it out for my MOCs. Star Wars sets are a great way to get weapons, curve pieces, and mechanical colors. I also get them for the minifigs. Those stay on display for a verrrrrrrrrry long time.

Build, play, store - in some partial built state. I try to store similar sets together so i can pull them all out again fix up and play.

I haven't pulled any sets apart to moc with, i just can not do it - i dread having to look for all the parts if i wanted to sell or play with it again . . .

I'd love to, but may be later when i have a better storage and sorting system

I build them, line them up on the shelves and play with them from time to time. I collect mostly Technic and Star Wars sets.

I have a few younger siblings around the ages of 10. They love my lego collections and they get kind of sad when I rip apart anything to make/design MOCs. The ones I have kept assembled are certain jewels I find like the LAAT/c gunship and AT OT (though I really don't like the AT OT much but my sisters find them a nice play set. I kept the republic attack shuttle but modded it to have more seats at the expense of the flick fires. I've also kept the sith infiltrator (new one) simply because it looks cool. Mainly the reason I keep the models assembled is so I can play lego with my sisters. They really enjoy it since "I'm tall and I can make space battles fun".

The one model I cannot see myself disassembling though is the republic frigate. I have modded it to be longer and slightly wider for play but it's a jewel I think I will never want to take apart.

I recently took apart my clone turbo (the first edition). I really didn't like it much and I don't think my sisters were too interested in stuff that has wheels.

I build them, display them as is for a few weeks, then play around in LDD to improve the set. Once I'm satisfied, I buy the needed bricks and build the improved model.

I tend not to have a lot of models on display, since i dont really have the room for it.

Currently there's the UCS Imperial Shuttle, the improved version of Queen Anne's Revenge, and an improved version of vampyre castle

Build and then display. I display relevant sets together (like all recent Hoth sets, all recent Endor sets, 1999-2001 Classic Star Wars) for a while, rotate the displays every two months, and store the sets I am not currently displaying. Some of the more impressive models are exempt from the display cycle, such as the 10188 Death Star and 10144 Sandcrawler. I use to tear down smaller sets for MOCs, but I'm currently holding an inventory of all incomplete sets to reverse that.

Something awesome ?

:laugh:

I'm just slightly OCD about the effects of light etc, so I've got around this by keeping everything in my darkened man-cave. I have three small shelves which are completely filled with system-scale sets (all OT), and everything else that I can't find space for is kept in the original boxes. All of my UCS sets are stored in their orginal boxes and also in their outer/transport packaging.....just to be sure :wink:

Build. Swoosh Examine. Play with Modify. Put away. Get out again at a later date. Repeat.