Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

309 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

No there will be a contest very soon! Working on the final setup, but I've had a very busy week.

I was wondering whether you guys are interested in a payed contest? EB budget for contests is limited and since there are lots of themes, we can't always run a Technic contest.

So I was thinking about having a payed contest. Something along the line of:

• 5 euro
  • Pay via Paypal
  • First 3 places get payed ("cash" via Paypal)

Maybe we can have two or three categories next time, like Novice, Amateur and Pro, so people will have a fair chance of winning.

There will still be free contests, but to increase the number of contests we could do a payed contest every once in a while.

Let me know what you guys think? I wanted to start a poll, but first I need to get a feeling about which questions to ask. And whether there's any interest at all.

I'd possibly be up for that Jim ... but who would determine your skill level though ? to rank you ? I know I had a decent finishing position in the TRIPLE contest but I wouldn't put myself in the same league as a lot of the MOCers here

... but who would determine your skill level though?

That's indeed a tough question. One option would be to let contestants choose for themselves. But would that be fair? Another option would be for a jury to decide, but we don't know the skills of every builder.

Maybe Novice class has a single winner, Amateur 1st and 2nd and Pro 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Prizes can be higher in Pro class, to stimulate entering Pro.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome of course.

What about members in countries that does not have PayPal?

Also, I praise your effort for making all this activities in this forum!

What about members in countries that does not have PayPal?

Looking at this page, there shouldn't be a lot countries without Paypal:

https://www.paypal.c...untry-worldwide

Any examples of members in a country without Paypal? We could probably work something out for these people. Bank transfer or something.

Also, I praise your effort for making all this activities in this forum!

Thanks! Nice to know it's appreciated :thumbup:

Looking at this page, there shouldn't be a lot countries without Paypal:

https://www.paypal.c...untry-worldwide

Any examples of members in a country without Paypal? We could probably work something out for these people. Bank transfer or something.

First example I have on my mind: Serbia...we got paypal few months ago, but we can only send, not receive money.

Nevertheless, hope to see lots more contests here!

First example I have on my mind: Serbia...we got paypal few months ago, but we can only send, not receive money.

Bummer!

On the other hand; I could do a bank transfer to the winners. Important thing is being able to receive money....which ultimately could be done via bank transfer as well, but it's easier to collect all fee's via a single channel.

Nevertheless, hope to see lots more contests here!

True. That's what I am aiming for!

Are there any legal implications? You are basically paying to win some money. Can it be seen as gambling with your MOCs?

Building requires skill, so technically it's not gambling.

But it's a valid point. Maybe it's wise to look into it :thumbup:

At first glance the rules indicate that when a skill is involved, it's not called gambling. This goes for the UK and The Netherlands.

Jim you should just host one contest were participants can choose to donate some money to buy a "lego set" to the winner and to maybe the two runners up.

Sounds like a cool idea but some younger members don't have bank accounts and stuff so I think I'll stick to free contests and enjoy the awesome mocs people produce when money's on the line xD

Sounds like a cool idea but some younger members don't have bank accounts and stuff so I think I'll stick to free contests and enjoy the awesome mocs people produce when money's on the line xD

That is the whole point of what I suggested above,not every one will be able to donate but they still should be able to take part if they want too.

I have mixed feelings about pay-to-play. I'd suggest trying it once or twice and see what type of participation we get. Also, the prizes should be either BrickLink or S@H credit, rather than cash. Personally, I would participate in any contest I thought I had a good concept, regardless of any chances to win - having a goal and building a MOC, and maybe getting feedback and improving techniques is enough for me, any prizes are just ancillary for me.

Need to think of other awards - perhaps getting your model displayed prominently at a LUG convention? Our donations to the contest could be used for shipping expenses?

That is the whole point of what I suggested above,not every one will be able to donate but they still should be able to take part if they want too.

Sooo..... I could enter, not pay, and win(possibly)? Awesome, free money, no risk!

In a contest such as this, entries should be limited to the "donating" participants. At least money earning entries. Make donation entries and free (or prize) entries. Contestants could enter one or both.

Edited by Kronos

If you read my reply you would have read that if you win you get a lego set of what ever valve gets raised and split with the runner up prizes.

I do not see any risk in that.

Personally I like the idea of a medal or some sort of award. I don't mind cash prizes but maybe they could be reserved for something bigger towards the end of the year with a small entry fee. That way people have time to decide if they will compete or not, and any younger ones have time to save up an entry fee if they so wish.

H

Personally, I would participate in any contest I thought I had a good concept, regardless of any chances to win - having a goal and building a MOC, and maybe getting feedback and improving techniques is enough for me, any prizes are just ancillary for me.

Need to think of other awards - perhaps getting your model displayed prominently at a LUG convention? Our donations to the contest could be used for shipping expenses?

I agree with this. I was disappointed how quickly my winner models disappeared and never appeared anywhere, though there are some Technic blogs out there. I guess my models were only good in the scope of this particular contest? That would be disrespectful for the other contestants, but I'm still disappointed anyway (some other entries were actually blogged...) despite the medal icon under my avatar.

Maybe next time the results and the entry topics could stay pinned for a little longer than 2 days from the results announcement. Most forums (game programming, for example) keep the results up for a month.

Edited by Lipko

Agreed! I will add the contest winners to the soon-to-be-created Technic Hall of Fame (for exceptional MOCs, MoMs and Contest Winners)!

Contest promotion is on my "to improve list" for next contest by the way.