Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

309 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

Jim, what you mean "Power tools" for mini contest.. like e.g. drill machine, pneumatic compressor?

Exactly!

Some time ago there was an awesome drill posted in this forum. Things like that.

How about a mini-contest where you have to utilize pull-back motors (maybe at least two of them)?

Two pretty cheap sets came out with those this year, so it shouldn't be a problem to get a few of those motors.

For the big contest maybe the theme could be "modularity" where you have to build modules and can combine them in different ways to make totally different machines.

Edited by Lipko

I like both ideas!! :thumbup:

A modular contest sounds cool, but we could also consider a Technic Modular Community Build or something. Sounds fun.

I am not a fan to the idea of limiting number of PF elements in a flagship contest.

There may be some great ideas involving more PF elements and less regular bricks.

Flagship contest should have no limits.

I am not a fan to the idea of limiting number of PF elements in a flagship contest.

There may be some great ideas involving more PF elements and less regular bricks.

Flagship contest should have no limits.

Im with that. No limits on a flagship. Maybe limit the number of parts?

I love the idea of no wheels, doh

Im with that. No limits on a flagship. Maybe limit the number of parts?

I love the idea of no wheels, doh

Perhaps, as it was said earlier, small contests should have limits in number of parts, or some specific part, like the wheels or LAs and Pneumatis...but on Pro contest, flagships should have no limits at all.

I like the idea that people could go berserk with ideas, parts, size, weight and get the wow factor.

Limiting that could cripple great mocs.

I like the idea that people could go berserk with ideas, parts, size, weight and get the wow factor.

I hope Smurf Burf2000 does not enter.....If he did then we would have no chance of winning! :tongue:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Perhaps the flagship contest should have a limit on the cost of the finished model. I think when Lego design their models there is a price point consideration that customers are willing to pay.

Perhaps, as it was said earlier, small contests should have limits in number of parts, or some specific part, like the wheels or LAs and Pneumatis...but on Pro contest, flagships should have no limits at all.

Limiting that could cripple great mocs.

Aren't flagship-like models with extra everything what people are building all the time anyway? If there are no limits, I think a "MOC of the year" award would be better. The point of having limits is to boost creativity, and hopefully provide a different kind of challenge each time.

The flagship contest sounds to me like working under similar circumstances as Lego designers: make something with great play value without exceeding the budget. Limiting both number of parts and PF elements creates a challenge to do more with less.

A contest for building a karakuri doll http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karakuri_ningyō could benefit from a limit of using a single motor (PF or pullback is your choice). The challenge is to create complex movements from a single motor. (But there is no reason to limit the number of bricks.)

A battle mech contest wouldn't really benefit from limiting neither parts nor PF. The challenge is to create something that looks/behaves intimidating.

Not limiting that could cripple great builders with not enough PF...

The small build should be easy for anyone to enter. I don't think the big build should be limited for this reason.

Not limiting that could cripple great builders with not enough PF...

I think that model can be great regardless of number of PF elements.

I hope Smurf Burf2000 does not enter.....If he did then we would have no chance of winning! :tongue:

Winner from the last challenge was not the biggest model :P

Perhaps the flagship contest should have a limit on the cost of the finished model. I think when Lego design their models there is a price point consideration that customers are willing to pay.

How could someone determine what is the cost of finished model?

Aren't flagship-like models with extra everything what people are building all the time anyway? If there are no limits, I think a "MOC of the year" award would be better. The point of having limits is to boost creativity, and hopefully provide a different kind of challenge each time.

The flagship contest sounds to me like working under similar circumstances as Lego designers: make something with great play value without exceeding the budget. Limiting both number of parts and PF elements creates a challenge to do more with less.

There is challenge for just that you mentioned in small contest.

Pro contest can be made so people can throw in a model everything they want.

How about best alternate model?

It could be for a particular set but I realize we won't all have it....Or any 2013 set....Or it could be that you can use any set you like.. Or one of a handful of sets selected by the judges that we could choose from..

It could be for a particular set but I realize we won't all have it....Or any 2013 set....Or it could be that you can use any set you like.. Or one of a handful of sets selected by the judges that we could choose from..

That's an awesome idea! Totally down with that. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

That's a very good idea. It could really be allowed for any set of 2013 or it is limited it to sets below 100€ or above 100€ or some similar amount. I don't think, that a alternate model for one of those pullback racers could compete with a alternate for 42009. Still it should be possible and one could get just any set and participate.

We've thought of a "pick any 2013 set" alternate build (C model) and I am glad to see more people enthusiastic about this idea.

That is the best idea I've heard so far, Rumpletump! That is the perfect contest idea, I have no idea why I didn't think of that! :wacko:

And @Milan, I guess I agree, with builds like Paul Boratko's models, but I think some people might be a bit biased towards PF.

Is the idea for alternate set building meant for mini or pro contest?

I dont like that idea for pro...

[Teaser]I won't tell too much, but I can tell you we will have some news about a Pro contest next week![/Teaser]

:wink:

Could we consider using parts from a particular set, might have been mentioned before, and maybe add in a pneumatic, PF, LA's and see what we can build with it. If I go way back as a lad I only had two sets but the parts amused me for years. We could get the parts list from brickset, colours would not matter and those who are interested and have the parts take on the build, the rest of us can vote.

H

I think that's suggested and commented a few posts back :wink:

I love this idea. H

How could someone determine what is the cost of finished model?

It can be determined by making a parts list and looking up the average prices on Bricklink. Probably need an accountant type to run the contest. :classic: