Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

309 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

Future Technic Contest Setup

We are contemplating new Technic contests. I already had one figured out, but since you will be the ones participating, I would like to hear from you what you would like to see in a contest.

In the future there might be two categories for contests:

• Mini Contest, limited prizes, limited in build size and theme (or certain other limits)
  • Pro Contest, valuable prizes, only limited by theme (or certain other limits, but not in size)

I would like to hear your thoughts on both categories, so can make a better judgement when organizing a contest.

For example:

Mini Contest

Any non-vehicular model, so no:

• Wheels (cars, trucks, trains, etc)
  • Tread/Tracks (bulldozers, excavators, etc)
  • Wings (planes, gliders, etc)
  • Blades and Propellers (helicopters, submarines, boats, etc)
  • Boats and water vehicles in general
  • Other vehicles

Buildsize limited to 25x25x25 studs.

Examples

• Animals
  • Appliances
  • Power tools

Pro Contest

Technic Mecha Contest. Build a Technic Mecha with lots of functions.

or

Technic Battle Bot Contest. Build a Technic Battle Bot with some destructive functions.

or

Flagship Contest. Build your 2014 Flagship!

No limits, go nuts!

Limits

Any thought on limits in both categories are welcome as well.

• Part count limit is hard to verify, also for the builder himself/herself.
  • Size limit is feasible, for example 25x25x25 for Mini Contest.
  • Certain parts (obviously non-lego and customized parts, etc) are not allowed, like PF or Mindstorms.
  • Certain parts are required, like PF or Pneumatics.

EUROBRICKS CONTEST RULES AND REGULATIONS

These are some of the standard rules and regulations for (Technic) contests

• The contest is open to all Eurorbricks members (also new members)
  • Voting is only for existing Eurobricks members
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries should be new (never posted anywhere previously). If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact one of the staff members.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Rubberbands are allowed exceptions.
  • Decals will be allowed if you've made them yourself, but no cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in the contest entry topic (replace with link) in the forum.
  • Entries may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • Every entry should have and entry name.
  • You are allowed to create a WIP topic. However, every entry should be posted in the entry topic for it to be eligible for the contest.
  • Entries are to consist of no more than 5 posted pictures of 800x600 or smaller resolution but may also include a link to a folder of additional images of any size. You can have a video instead of a photo if you want.
  • No photoshopped backgrounds or packaging, but you are allowed to edit the background to remove distractions.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.

DISCLAIMER

This is just a topic to share thoughts on possible future contests. In no way EB will be obliged to organize a suggested contest. This is just a topic to get a feeling about what you guys would like. Please understand we cannot make everybody happy, although we do try :wink:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Oh this would be so good. Other sub-forums hold their contests in regular times. I guess there would be a lot of people to participate.

Both contest ideas are cool. I basically love both approaches anyway. Something that is mostly limited in size or has parts restrictions encourages the creativity the most I think. Free-builds should not be entirely free I guess, but there the builder has the most freedom.

For a start I would suggest some kind of mini-model contest like you proposed. That way you can get a feeling for how the participation rate is. Regarding rules, I guess you can get some inspiration from other sub-forums. Rules like: 1 entry per member, pictures should be posted here or there, picture size xy, entries may be modified until deadline and such.

Though, I think it is stupid to allow model presentation for a large timeframe. Let's say you announce today a contest that will have it's final day on October 31st. People can post their creations from October 1st. Now everyone looks and finds other creations inspiring or takes ideas from them and there are usually a lot of early posters who definately get an advantage in the final vote (in my opinion). Posting creations should be retricted until the last week or so. Of course everyone will post their creations then at once, but there is then still a week to improve in some points, but until then the entries stay secret. That would make it way more exciting I think.

Or make a completely secret contest. When I saw the Mini-VW Camper contest I looked at the entries and thought, I can never come up with something that can compete here or all good ideas are already made, so why even participate? With a all-secret contest, some other people might be encouraged to take part and take the chance to win.

Regarding themes of the contest (like mini-contest or free-build) there are far more things than non-vehicle builds. Like the iron-builder contest. They decide on a part that must be creatively and usefully integrated into a MOC. Well that isn't too easy for Technic. The goal of a contest could be to integrate a specific mechanism in a most creative way (that does not fulfil the original purpose). Something like: Create a MOC that uses the Ackermann steering mechanism in way that has nothing to do with steering a car. Or: Create a xy-linkage driven by pneumatics and integrate it into a bigger mechanism/MOC. In contests like this, the goal would be more on the mechanism itself instead of just the looks (which could also be out of judgement then) and would reflect what Technic really stands for.

So far for ideas :D If I should go more into detail, let me know.

Edit: added standard rules and regulations above

I like the idea of using a certain building technique as a requirement :thumbup:

Thanks for your input btw

I think everyone should decide on when to enter. Early entries might have an advantage in voting, but there entry will be known to the public, which could be a disadvantage.

But I could create the entry topic only a week before deadline. Sounds cool :thumbup:

With a "secret contest", it might be better not to allow WIP topics?!

Wouldn't that diminish the fun of the contest?

Any thoughts on this?

With a "secret contest", it might be better not to allow WIP topics?!

Wouldn't that diminish the fun of the contest?

Any thoughts on this?

Well in the case of a secret contest, it really might be better to forbid people to create WiP topics. Because then they could present them there and again everyone would see the entries before the entry deadline is over.

The secret contest was just an idea that quickly developed in my mind. It is not fully thought through. It might have the advantage of getting new participants or to create some special excitement because nobody knows, what the other people have built. On the other hand it might be not so good a contest because of the missing intermediate fun whilst waiting for the deadline and results. I guess people (and I) like to look at the entries that are posted and discuss them perhaps. Might be, people give advices to participants to improve section xy by design and so on. Such a secret contest is basically announcing the contest with the theme, contest admin gets the entries, deadline, results and winner. It might be missing the fun in the middle.

On the other hand, you could also say, that people are allowed to post a teaser picture of their entry that does not show the whole MOC, but only a little snippet of it. So people can discuss what it might be, but the whole MOC will still be secret as the participant may not tell.

On the other hand it might be not so good a contest because of the missing intermediate fun whilst waiting for the deadline and results. I guess people (and I) like to look at the entries that are posted and discuss them perhaps. Might be, people give advices to participants to improve section xy by design and so on. Such a secret contest is basically announcing the contest with the theme, contest admin gets the entries, deadline, results and winner. It might be missing the fun in the middle.

I totally agree with your opinion on this. Part of the fun in having a competition is looking at other creations. If showing your MOC early is giving you a litle edge, so be it.

I really like the idea of posing limitations on techniques/parts used. For example the exclude any electric powering (Power Functions, Mindstroms, 9V, 12V, 4.5V). This way the entries would be models one would actually be required to touch and to feel the forces required to propulse it. Why not have a non electric Flagship?

An other set up could be to exclude the standard linear actuators or to make Pneumatics mandatory.

Apart from rubberbands i would recommend to allow 3rd party flexible tubing/hosing for pneumatic functions.

I also really like the idea of a non electrical contest, but I am not sure whether to impose these limitations for the Mini or Pro contest. Guess this will be better suiting the Mini contest.

Since there are fans of Pneumatics and fans of LAs is a delicate matter, but in the future we could create a Pneumatic contest.

Or a Pneumatics/LA contest, where you must use either one of these. Although this might start the Pneumatics vs LA battle again :tongue:

I will add flexible tubing/hosing to the list, thanks!! :thumbup:

I would really like a non-PF flagship contest, as 1) I am limited to one M and one XL and 2) It would be much easier to integrate pneumatics and other stuff that is difficult to control with PF.

Much easier doesn't fit a Pro Contest :tongue::wink:

But your comments are duly noted :thumbup:

Non-PF would make a nice theme, since not everybody has all the PF elements. Maybe non-PF for the Mini Contest.

Much easier doesn't fit a Pro Contest :tongue::wink:

But your comments are duly noted :thumbup:

Non-PF would make a nice theme, since not everybody has all the PF elements. Maybe non-PF for the Mini Contest.

Or a Mini Contest with as much PF as possible :iamded_lol:

Sounds like a very good idea. The mini contest sounds the most fun since my parts and imagination are limited :P PF and pneumatic mini sounds really fun by the way!

Ideas for mini contest are good, I would put Mechas and Bots there, too.

Pro contest...I would definitely like the Build your 2014 Flagship the most.

Ofc no limit in number of parts, and no limit in size. No limits whatsoever.

Most importantly, I am pleased to see new Technic challenge.

I would like to see every year one big, and few smaller contests, with or without prizes.

Also, I am hoping that this contest will include ModelTeam together with Technic...?

I mean...Technic inside, modelteam outside.

We are aiming at one Mini and one Pro contest per year :thumbup:

(hopefully both with prizes)

Model Team is also allowed, since it's the "LEGO Technic, Mindstorms & Model Team" forum, but the functions should always prevail over the looks!

And it might depend on the contest, but in principal it's allowed.

The Pro contest should indeed impose as few limits as possible! Build your 2014 Flagship should give us some nice MOCs!

One rule (or judging requirement) for "Build your own 2014 Flagship" could be that TLG could offer the model in stores, so no Robots with two EV3 units costing around a 1000 bucks. (too bad, maybe robot contest)

for the mini contest, you could make the entry fit inside a shoebox. You would have to say the dimensions of the shoebox, but that would be easier to control than the amount od parts. I also agree no pf in the mini.

I like the idea of a shoebox (shape is better than a cube limit), but that would allow for a fairly big model. Might be a bit to big for Mini Contest, won't it?

Mini Contest without PF noted :wink:

for the mini contest, you could make the entry fit inside a shoebox. You would have to say the dimensions of the shoebox, but that would be easier to control than the amount od parts.

Eeeeh, I might foresee a problem :laugh: :

Big+Shoes.jpg

Sounds good both. LDD or other CAD models are also allowed? Anyway the secret competition is a very good idea. Other way could be that it will be public with pictures and voting, but the entries (pictures) would be anonym. That could make good chances.

Edited by Mbmc

Eeeeh, I might foresee a problem :laugh:

:laugh:

Well I think both contests would be awesome because then everyone could have a chance to enter something they like. :)

We'll probably start with the Mini Contest very soon. And running two competitions simultaneously is less fun than two consecutive contests :wink:

Sounds good both. LDD or other CAD models are also allowed?

Nope, only "analog" models :laugh:

Examples

• Animals
  • Appliances
  • Power tools
  • Animals

I guess you really like animals...

• Part count limit is hard to verify, also for the builder himself/herself.
  • Size limit is feasible, for example 25x25x25 for Mini Contest.

Weight limit is possible and easy to check when building. But it's still difficult to verify, and a lot of people don't have a good scale.

Size limit would have to specify whether it is allowed for the model to extend beyond the limit when in use.

For some competitions (especially the flagship one) it might be good to limit the number of PF elements, rather than just saying allowed/disallowed.

Just throwing my half-baked ideas out there...

I guess you really like animals...

:laugh: (animals wasn't even my idea)

Weight limit is possible and easy to check when building. But it's still difficult to verify, and a lot of people don't have a good scale.

Not really fan of a weight limit, because it's pointless.

Size limit would have to specify whether it is allowed for the model to extend beyond the limit when in use.

Good thinking!

For some competitions (especially the flagship one) it might be good to limit the number of PF elements, rather than just saying allowed/disallowed.

Why limit the number?

Just throwing my half-baked ideas out there...

Thanks!!

Why limit the number?

Well what's the most number of PF's in a single Lego Technic model that Lego has sold? Because you said something Lego would put on a shelf.

Well what's the most number of PF's in a single Lego Technic model that Lego has sold? Because you said something Lego would put on a shelf.

Good point! :wink: