Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

38 minutes ago, Jim said:

I am not a big fan of this type of contest. Every member is building the same model, so people will probably want to hide their WIP topics. The best builders obviously have a big advantage, because originality is virtually non-existent.

I second this. Following the WIP topics and make discussions within is significant part of the fun. Also if we consider that we are in a community, it makes the spirit as well, generates added value in depth to the general content - and brings member closer to each other. It would be pitty not to have this opportunities, and seeing only Ready To Run (see: completed) entries pop-up, where all the comments are just: "WOW!" + "Pretty cool!" + "Great!" Very boring.

Thanks for the staff for all the effort till now, and eagerly waiting for upcoming contests!

I'd be not fully against a "modernize set X" type contest, but the rulings proposed by step77 are so strict that almost all forms of personal flavour in a model get lost. What I like in a contest is a way to bring my own take to it, and being surprised by what others take to it. If everyone's building the same model and we must respect all ins and outs of the example model, it feels like a homework assignment, rather than a playful competition.

Edit: and agree to what Jim and agrof are saying. I agree that all the WIP topics are a load of fun. We're all working to the same goal, but we're all having such different views on it that there's so much to learn, and such a variety of new and original models coming to the forums.

Edited by Erik Leppen

I like to see a competition in which PF is banned and any functions are controlled by rod and levers (see the front bucket on 8862) or by gearing such as the crane in 8094, or even by using 'flex' if you have some sitting around doing nothing.

+1 about weird vehicles -> Colin Furze and Edd China could be inspiration for models.

7 minutes ago, LXF said:

+1 about weird vehicles -> Colin Furze and Edd China could be inspiration for models.

I get a positive vibe here too.

That would be indeed cool, we see anyway lot of realistic ones here (which are awesome). This was the reason too, why the Bot contest sucked me in, finally something completely different.

I just put some ideas here to pick up seeds: apocalyptic, sci-fi, general weirdness, maybe obligation on number of functions (f.e.: must have 5 functions - whatever they are).

Weird vehicles, hmm. If one went down the 'must be possible in real life' route then we could see some of those futuristic excavators with 4 sets of treads, or any other 'concept' machine, as long as it is capable of being built IRL. Perhaps a build has to have a 'back story', i.e. the reason the machine was/will be/would be built unusually, with real-life limitations taken into consideration. I like this contest idea already!

Not sure if there would be much interest, but I think a speed contest would be interesting.  It can be setup with two or more categories to make it more fair.

Cat. 1 : Use of M, L and XL motors only.  Official lego battery boxes only (AAA, AA, Lipo).  IR, IR V2 and Sbrick allowed.

Cat. 2 : All of the above and:  Use of buggy motors and BuWizz are allowed.

Rules: 

1) ONLY Lego parts can be used except for Sbrick and BuWizz.

2) No altering of any electronics eg. shunting battery boxes.

3) You need to be able to adjust the steering so it travels relatively straight.

4) Maximum distance for measuring speed from a stopped position to be 100 meters.

5) Test needs to be run in both directions and average of the results is used.

6) Predetermined speed measuring app to be used only.

7) Minimum weight including the attached phone is X Kg.  The phone can be placed anywhere on the vehicle.  Required ballast can be placed anywhere of the vehicle.

8) Video is required showing both runs.

How about a "No Wheels" competition?

I'm thinking of vehicles/animals/creatures (could be real or fictional) which don't have any wheels or caterpillar tracks touching the floor to move around. So I'd be looking for interesting methods of propulsion: walking, slithering, galloping, folding, jumping, sliding, skidding, or anything else you can think of. I'd love to see what kinds of interesting mechanisms people can come up with...

Edit: just thought, an alternative could perhaps be "no motorised wheels" (i.e. rollers could be allowed) - which would open up interesting possibilities such as skating or snakeboard-type motions. Though possibly that would end up being a can of worms for the rule-writing phase!

Edited by Josephiah

How about "Pull-Back" contest?

Anything kind of actuator is not available(pneumatic, PF, etc...) and can only use Pull back motor.

Just now, msk6003 said:

How about "Pull-Back" contest?

Anything kind of actuator is not available(pneumatic, PF, etc...) and can only use Pull back motor.

I contemplated a pullback contest....and we will definitely do that one day. Not sure if it will be the next contest, but we will do one. I promise you that much.

Sorry for bumping, when will tc12 be?

And what if it was a motorized set contest?

Proposed rules:

1. Set size can be as big or small as wanted.

2. Must be easily motorizable, using parts from 8293.

3. Must have a B model*

4. Must be playable for a child.

5. Can be any type of machine, construction equipment, car, crane, plane.

6. Must have video.

* Not sure.

I'm sure Jim has a list of contest ideas that have been talked about on the forum. Plus, I think that has been done before, not 100% sure 

Since there was so much complaining in the 2017 set thread, what if we had a Design a 2017 Flagship Set contest?

Aside from the standard rules, the specific rules would be as follows:

1. Two classes, A for remote control models, B for motorized models
  2. Between 1400 and 3800 parts
  3. For class A, no more than four PF motors, two receivers, and 1 battery box.
  4. For class B, only 1 PF motor, and 1 battery box.
  5. No techniques that Lego would not use in a set (I.E. no disassembled springs, no single stud connections, keep stressed parts to a minimum.)
  6. Yes to third party string, rubber bands, and pneumatic hoses.
  7. No to any other third party part. (No SBricks, Buwizz, Brickstuff LEDs, or 3D printed/modified parts)

Or, rather than a divide between RC and manual, have Class A be an homage to an existing set, and Class B be for new designs.

@Saberwing40k That sounds like a good contest for the end of the year! Though I think there should only be 2 classes, motorized (including RC) and manual. Also, if possible, those two classes should also be divided into Homage models and New models, making a total of four categories...

2 hours ago, aminnich said:

I'm sure Jim has a list of contest ideas that have been talked about on the forum. Plus, I think that has been done before, not 100% sure 

I couldn't find it, or my search is wrong. I searched all of the contests

@Saberwing40k That does sound like a good contest idea.

However, a big problem is that it would be limited to those who have a lot of parts, and are experienced with building big models. (I for one am in neither of those categories, as I only have 308 technic parts according to Rebrickable.) Therefore, everyone with small collections and total lack of experience of big model is practically excluded from participating in the contest. I can't think of a way around that issue, unless we are allowed to build 'mini' versions of the supposed flagship, but that plan still has holes in it.

1 hour ago, BusterHaus said:

This was TC9.

I know, I just put that there as a extra idea, or not.

Such a high piece count model as a flagship would reduce our contestants number and you would need a LOT of time to design a big model , so the standard time given wouldn't be enough. Motorizing a set contest also would limit our possibilities and very similar entries would be made . Plus we just had a crawler motorization contest.

Edited by LXF

What about another small model contest, maybe with pull back motors.

It seemed like the size or piece limited contests had more entries and more variety.  

Just now, deehtha said:

What about another small model contest, maybe with pull back motors.

On 2017-4-21 at 5:34 PM, Jim said:

I contemplated a pullback contest....and we will definitely do that one day. Not sure if it will be the next contest, but we will do one. I promise you that much.

What about a pneumatic contest? (if it hasn't been done before)

There hasn't been very may pneumatic Lego sets (and MOCs).

I can't find any contests with the search at the moment... so I don't know what's been done.

Edited by mocbuild101